PDF from multiple formats

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a booklet to create for an upcoming conference at work (first week in March).

The various presenters are sending me their Power Point presentations, along with files in Word and PDFs.

Somehow, I'm supposed to make a single file from these various formats so I can send the booklet electronically to be printed and bound.

I have access to Adobe Writer, so I can create a PDF. Any suggestions of HOW to distill these source docs into a single PDF? Or is my best bet to print and scan everything into a single file (which I'd really hate to do 'cause I have a crappy scanner).

Thanks for any and all suggestions (especially the ones that make me laugh)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand part of the question. Is your main problem how to create a single document into one PDF file after you've converted all the various formats to PDF's, or is your main problem with the actual converting of the different files to PDF's?

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
If you have Adobe Acrobat you can just add all these files together into one single PDF. If you only have a PDF writer, it seems you need to somehow get them into one single document (such as a desktop publisher) so you can convert the whole thing.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand part of the question. Is your main problem how to create a single document into one PDF file after you've converted all the various formats to PDF's, or is your main problem with the actual converting of the different files to PDF's?

The challenge is getting all the documents from the various programs into a single PDF.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if you get all the documents converted to PDF's, there are freeware programs readily available to merge (or break up) files.

I use one at work, but I'm not at the office now so I don't remember the name of it offhand. These are simple programs. Mostly I use mine to break up drawings that are in PDF for one of my clients who doesn't like me to send a file with multiple PDF's.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
[DELELTED]
eta: I'm going to open my adobe and figure it out really quickly and come back to clarify if I missed something)

My answer after opening adobe is below.:)

Last edited:

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
Here's how

Well, it may be difficult, for the reason that some of your documents are already PDF files. If you had the non-PDF sources and could convert them, you could use the free PrimoPDF, which lets you append each new PDF file, as it is created, to an existing PDF file.

But when you have two PDF files already, you need a more sophisticated program (i.e., one that you have to pay for). Here are my suggestions.

Forget about Adobe. The program is grossly overpriced.

Check out Nuance. The program is $100. I have an older version of this program, and it works well.

Check out the commercial version of PrimoPDF. It is $100.

These programs above can be downloaded.

If you can get the original documents, so that you can do things in the order that you want, you can make one large PDF file for free, by doing this:

1. Download the freeware PrimoPDF.

2. Download my explanation of How to use PrimoPDF from my website.

3. Create a PDF from Chapter 1, and follow my directions for creating and appending the next PDF file.

EDIT: Hmm, the people who posted while I was writing this are saying you can use various freeware programs to put individual PDF files together. I have not seen any that do this, but they may exist.

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I just checked. PDF each document individually (save them with numbers). Open the document which is to be first. IN the left column (along side the document) click on the icon with two pages stacked one on top of the other. It will show you each page in a column along the left side. Scroll down and click on the last page of the document. Then go up the the document tab dropdown button, and click "insert pages" it will open up a window to select another pdf. click on the next document and it will ask if you want to insert before or after the last page in a pop-up. (if you miss one, you can click on the page where it belongs and use this function too, to insert pages in the middle of the doc). Select after and it will add those pages. Repeat until you've added all the documents then save it under the new name.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I'll give it a go when I get the last of the presentations (Monday) and get back to you.

I greatly appreciate this!

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I build pdf documents for printing all the time at work. If you need any help on monday, send me a PM and I'll see if I can help.:)

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
One more comment

Adobe Writer used to be an inferior program, not at all like Adobe Distiller (top of the line). Writer did not allow embedding of fonts, nor did it allow you to do much of anything. If you do not have the full Adobe program, I don't think you can do the stuff that Stew recommends.

In any case, let us know.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I have adobe professional if that makes a difference.

(in fact, DeleyanLee, if your adobe won't do this, feel free to let me know; you can even send me the pdf's and I'll stack them for you. It takes almost no time to do.)

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
EDIT: Hmm, the people who posted while I was writing this are saying you can use various freeware programs to put individual PDF files together. I have not seen any that do this, but they may exist.
This is a link to one I use, although I don't use it as much as I once did. I primarily used it to break a large PDF into individual sheets rather than to merge files. I work with CAD files a lot and they are often sent back and forth in PDF format and one of my clients had a problem printing the sheets unless they were broken into separate files . . . so that's what I did. I have more options in how files are set up now, so I rarely have to break them up anymore using this program.

I'm assuming we're talking about the same thing.

http://www.paologios.com/

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the link, alleycat. I will check it out. I have a commercial program that I use (the Nuance program), but I like to know all the stuff available, so that I can make recommendations to people.