PDA

View Full Version : Rude people

Sweetleaf
02-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Yesterday I took my sons to their music group and a woman sat next to me with her son and new baby. I smiled and said hello, as I do with everyone else there, and she just stared at me. She said nothing. She couldn't even crack a smile, just stared at me in a what-are-you-smiling-at-me-for-you-freak kind of way.

Is it just me? Is that not incredibly rude?

Am I the only person this happens to?

I had a guy push in front of me at a department store a while ago. There were two checkouts and two queues, although apparently he believed there was only one, as he was right behind the person being served on one side when he picked up his things and literally pushed in front of me as I was putting my things on the other counter to be served. He then turned around and said 'Well I was here first,' as I stood open mouthed like a stunned mullet. I was so blown away that someone would do that I couldn't even think of anything to say.

I think that was completely outrageous, and it still bugs me, months later.

It's not just me is it?

Does anyone else have stories of people who are just plain rude?

CaroGirl
02-12-2009, 09:32 PM
That pushy, queue-busting dude is a class-A jerk. But I'd cut the woman at the music group some slack. She has a toddler and a baby. She might have post-partum depression, and she's sure as hell sleep-deprived. It might've been rude, but she might not have been able to help it.

Hope people are nicer today.

alleycat
02-12-2009, 09:34 PM
A few months ago a woman actually pulled in front of me in a McDonald's drive-thru. As the car in front of me started to pull forward, she inched her car in between that car and mine.

That was a first.

Samantha's_Song
02-12-2009, 09:41 PM
I'd have had plenty to say to him and it wouldn't have been very ladylike :D

as I stood open mouthed like a stunned mullet. I was so blown away that someone would do that I couldn't even think of anything to say.

As for the woman, was she a native of where you came from? Maybe she was a little wary of you?
The day after the bombings of the tube stations etc here the other year, my husband and I spent the day in Windsor. Whilst we were sitting on a bench and eating our lunch, an Asian lady-Pakistani or Indian-looking, came and sat opposite us with her two small children. She looked a little wary as I glanced over at her. I smiled at her and then at her little boy; I didn't want her thinking that we all thought people dressed like her were terrorist sympathisers. Some things are hard from both sides and you have to try and put yourself in their place.

James81
02-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Yesterday I took my sons to their music group and a woman sat next to me with her son and new baby. I smiled and said hello, as I do with everyone else there, and she just stared at me. She said nothing. She couldn't even crack a smile, just stared at me in a what-are-you-smiling-at-me-for-you-freak kind of way.

Is it just me? Is that not incredibly rude?

I wouldn't call that rude. I'd say it was more anti-social than anything.

Perhaps she had a hearing impediment.

Sweetleaf
02-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Yeah, you're all right, I'll let her off this time. I'll smile at her next week and see what she's like.

If I ever see that guy again though...

WendyNYC
02-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Oooh yeah, I deal with rude people *all* the time. I'll either ignore it and don't let it bother me (woman and baby) or, if it's warranted, I'll turn into a horrid bitch (people who cut in line.)

I'm very sweet and polite. Unless you piss me off.

Samantha's_Song
02-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Make sure you have one of those metal shopping baskets in your hand and 'accidentally' hit him in the nuts with the corner of it.

If I ever see that guy again though...

regdog
02-12-2009, 09:56 PM
I hate rude people.

I was in the grocery store waiting in a long line, when a cashier opened the register next to where I was waiting and called me over. As I was getting my cart into the aisle another woman, who hadn't been in any line, hurried around me and pushed in front of me. The cashier actually yelled at her and pushed her out of line and made her wait.

More than once, people have pushed in fron of my Aunt at the store. Another thing they do is while we are still loading our groceries on the belt they shove our order forward and start loading their groceries.

underthecity
02-12-2009, 10:04 PM
It's not just me is it?

I think it must be a New Zealand thing. Nobody is ever rude in the United States. We're all happy, polite people here. ;)

Wayne K
02-12-2009, 10:05 PM

I lived in New York City all my life, I'd crash this site with all the stories.

sassandgroove
02-12-2009, 10:09 PM
I have a neighbor (thankfully not next door) that tried to tell me how to discipline my dog when it was her dog casusing trouble. My finger was bleeding because I grabbed my dog's collar and she was going in circles trying to follow this woman's little yappy dog. Her collar snapped and came off. my dog stayed. she put her paw on my knee when she say I was crying. And this woman tried to tell me how to discipline my dog, while hers was running off leash and yapping and basically running amok. Oh yeah. She didn't ask if I was ok or offer help when she saw I was bleeding. The next time I saw her on her porch, she went inside. Probably a good thing. BUt I don't want anymosity with my neighbors, so I try to be friendly and wave and say hi. She'll wave back. But her daughter won't even acknowledge my presence. Which I don't get since I've never spoken to her. I'll walk by with my dog, and she'll be on the porch smoking and I'll wave. Nothin'. So one morning i very pointedly said LOUDLY, "GOOD MORNING." She looked startled and waved a tiny bit. Whatever. Their house has been on the market for over a year. I wish it would sell already.

One time at Wal-MArt, I was loading my groceries on the conveyor at the check out, while another person was finishing up paying. Still have a pretty full cart. And the woman behind me starts to load her groceries. I say, "excuse me, I'm not done unloading mine."

"Well, I'm in a hurry." She says. La Ti Da.
"I was here first and I need more room for my food."
SHe starts giving me this BS about how she has sick kids at home or whatever and my husband, who had waundered off to look at something and just came back, defends me and says he doesn't give a damn about her kids and she needs to wait her turn. She calls hubby a monster. She threatens to get security. He says go ahead, that we haven't done anything wrong and he wanted her too so he could tell them how rude she's being. she yelled and griped at us the whole time we were checking out.

alleycat
02-12-2009, 10:17 PM
I think it must be a New Zealand thing. Nobody is ever rude in the United States. We're all happy, polite people here. ;)
Absolutely! Especially in the larger cities.

And we never shoot at other drivers unless, you know, they've pull in front of us or made us miss the light, or something like that.

shakeysix
02-12-2009, 10:19 PM
one time i was driving in dodge city on a sunday morning. now dodge city, kansas is not a major traffic hub at rush hour on a weekday. on a sunday morning everyone is pretty laid back. on this particular morning a mini bus almost ran me off the road, honking at me from behind and then almost cutting me off, in my own lane. and then it seemed like the people on the bus were calling me names. so i flipped the whole shebang off, sunday morning be damned. the next day in school 4 of my freshmen met me at the door--"mrs. smith, we saw you yesterday on 14th street in our church bus. we waved but you flipped us off!" ---s6

regdog
02-12-2009, 10:23 PM
one time i was driving in dodge city on a sunday morning. now dodge city, kansas is not a major traffic hub at rush hour on a weekday. on a sunday morning everyone is pretty laid back. on this particular morning a mini bus almost ran me off the road, honking at me from behind and then almost cutting me off, in my own lane. and then it seemed like the people on the bus were calling me names. so i flipped the whole shebang off, sunday morning be damned. the next day in school 4 of my freshmen met me at the door--"mrs. smith, we saw you yesterday on 14th street in our church bus. we waved but you flipped us off!" ---s6

Oopsie

Elwolf
02-12-2009, 10:23 PM
I think this is just a high school thing, but at lunch, everyone cuts in front of me. I make sure they can't, and they just find a way around me. It's like I'm not even there! That just makes me mad! I get an inch away from yelling at them when they do that! Aaahhh!

Oh, and then you have the people that reach right over you and your work to get something from someone. I mean, they completely block what you are trying to do--and for something that doesn't even matter--and then they don't even apologize!

Elwolf
02-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Yeah. There was a person that was tailgaiting me on the highway once, so I went into another lane. A little while later, they were doing it again, so I slowed down a bit. I know it was childish and all, but they got on my nerves.

darkprincealain
02-12-2009, 10:34 PM
One time at Wal-MArt, I was loading my groceries on the conveyor at the check out, while another person was finishing up paying. Still have a pretty full cart. And the woman behind me starts to load her groceries. I say, "excuse me, I'm not done unloading mine."

"Well, I'm in a hurry." She says. La Ti Da.
"I was here first and I need more room for my food."
SHe starts giving me this BS about how she has sick kids at home or whatever and my husband, who had waundered off to look at something and just came back, defends me and says he doesn't give a damn about her kids and she needs to wait her turn. She calls hubby a monster. She threatens to get security. He says go ahead, that we haven't done anything wrong and he wanted her too so he could tell them how rude she's being. she yelled and griped at us the whole time we were checking out.

I've lived near various Wal-Marts and even worked for one at one point. The things I've seen there are enough to keep this thread going for a year. There are good people there, but the sheer amount of customers going in and out all the time at most of them assures that there will always be a supply of the rude folks.

brainstorm77
02-12-2009, 10:55 PM
I've had people jump the line that I have been in .. Thats when I make a very loud comment on how rude that person was and it usually makes them embarrassed!

semilargeintestine
02-12-2009, 10:57 PM
That's what I do. If I look like I'm about to make a scene, they usually apologise and get behind me.

brainstorm77
02-12-2009, 10:57 PM
I've lived near various Wal-Marts and even worked for one at one point. The things I've seen there are enough to keep this thread going for a year. There are good people there, but the sheer amount of customers going in and out all the time at most of them assures that there will always be a supply of the rude folks.

And I would have replied " keep bitchin bitch!"
I have no time for people like that who think the world owe's them something.

brainstorm77
02-12-2009, 11:01 PM
My last experience was at the post office where a woman took 20 minutes to decided which way to send a package.... I was getting pissed and so was the line behind me as she ohhhhhh and aweeeeeee'd making her decision. The poor guy serving her was turning red and kept glancing at us ..but i mean it wasn't his fault.... i'm sooooooooooo glad I don't have to serve the public.

Don Allen
02-12-2009, 11:32 PM
My favorite line to rude people especially men is, "Man, I went to jail for getting pissed off about something as rude as this once before and it just ain't worth it," which has to date 100% of the time gotten me an apology usaully statring with, "I didn't even see you there," But in all seriousness, are culture has encouraged the me first attitude and the ignorance of many is a reflection of what we've become.

Susie
02-12-2009, 11:35 PM
I've had a number of rude people bother me, too, but in this day and age, I just keep my cool and try not to let them annoy me. Ya never know when they are 'crazy' and have a knife or gun on them and want to use it pronto.

Greenify13
02-12-2009, 11:42 PM
I had to literally work because of rude people before. I had to pull them over and listen to their excuses or listen to rude comments about me being "A joke" and other insane crazy crap like that.

Clair Dickson
02-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Sometimes it seems like rude people come in streaks. Makes the problem seem worse. Not to say there aren't plenty of rude people out there, but if you get several particularly bad ones in a short period of time, it amplifies the affect.

I usually just ignore (sometimes very pointedly so, as I stand in the way) rude people. Or stare at them back.

Of course, I also do my shopping when there's less people around. I don't tolerate others well.

Lyra Jean
02-12-2009, 11:52 PM
I used to Customer Service at Walmart. Now I'm just a cashier. But there was this one time I was the only working the counter and I had a huge long line. I couldn't get anyone up there to help me. This one customer in the back yelled, "Is it possible for you to go any slower?" So I stopped what I was doing looked right back at him and said, "Yes, it is. Would you like me too?" Needless to say everyone shut up and stopped complaining and I finally got some help.

Wayne K
02-13-2009, 01:26 AM
I like when someone starts a sentence with "I don't mean to sound rude but..."

sassandgroove
02-13-2009, 01:41 AM
"I mean no disrespect..." as well.

Lyra Jean
02-13-2009, 01:43 AM
I understand your policy but can you make an exception....

shakeysix
02-13-2009, 01:44 AM
i was taking a final exam in grad school. the subject was american lit so we were expected to write pages and pages for each answer. the three hour time limit was almost up and i was still writing, a nervous wreck. another student dropped off her paper and was leaving the classroom. the prof called her back and said, "this is the stupidest answer anyone has ever given." i teared up and it wasn't even my paper--s6

Wayne K
02-13-2009, 02:01 AM
The other sentence sdtarter that I love is "Not for nothing..." It never ends with "But you're a handsome man." (Okay once, but he was a little drunk, and I was young and curious)

sassandgroove
02-13-2009, 02:08 AM
Oh, how about phrases that start with, "You have such a pretty face...."

Wayne K
02-13-2009, 02:17 AM
Oh, how about phrases that start with, "You have such a pretty face...."

I get a lot of that too..

Sweetleaf
02-13-2009, 02:28 AM
I had to literally work because of rude people before. I had to pull them over and listen to their excuses or listen to rude comments about me being "A joke" and other insane crazy crap like that.

Are you a police officer, by any chance?

I love old episodes of Cops - I like laughing at wasted rednecks and their mullets.

Greenify13
02-13-2009, 02:35 AM
:ROFL: I was a police officer of sorts, I was an MP. People can be very rude, especially if they think they or someone in their family is better then you. Or if they are taller then me, which most people are. :D
Yes those are the best episodes!

semilargeintestine
02-13-2009, 02:40 AM
Oh, MPs have it worse than civies. You've got quite the thick skin I bet. :D

Greenify13
02-13-2009, 02:44 AM
Yeah you can say, you have to ignore and set aside a lot if things while on the job. Especially, rank-related. There was once someone who had been speeding and ever-so politely explained that since they/their family members rank out-ranked my own, that they did nothing wrong and there was nothing I could do. :ROFL: Whatever, I am expected to respect those above my rank, but the law is the law. :ROFL:

semilargeintestine
02-13-2009, 02:47 AM
Wow. :ROFL:

cher79
02-13-2009, 02:55 AM
When I was driving home from work last year, I had stopped at a red light, but had my blinker on to make a right. So I was waiting for the light to turn green...next thing I know, this lunatic behind me starts honking at me like crazy...I mean, they REALLY sounded deranged. I did NOT move until the light turned green. When I got on the expressway entrance, this nutcase was pretty close behind me and then they turned on their high beam lights! So I just kept driving...didn't change lanes or speed up, but eventually I did because I got scared. The loon got off the expressway after a couple of exits.

I really hate when people honk when you WANT to sit a red light (yeah, you can turn on red unless there's a sign that says it doesn't). Ticked me off because I'm not gonna jump because you tell me to.

And I have tons of rude people stories, LOL.

sassandgroove
02-13-2009, 03:04 AM
Actually in some states you can't turn right on red. And it is up to you to decide if it is safe or not, not the dbag behind you. I hate people like that.

on a side note, one time i was waiting behind a person at a red light and annoyed becuase I couldn't turn because they were there. I was drumming my fingers on the steering wheel and saying "come on.'" Then I realized I was in Small Town USA (long story) with all of 4 stop lights. NOT Los Angeles (anymore) and where the hell was I going in such a hurry anyway. So I laughed at myself and relaxed.

Clair Dickson
02-13-2009, 03:27 AM
So I laughed at myself and relaxed.

And this is the part that many, many rude people don't do. They're in a really big hurry or they're really stressed and take it out on those around them who aren't doing what they would/want/etc. A little patience and understanding goes a long way... and what the HELL is so important, anyway? (Not directing any of this at you, sass, just using your comment. =)

Of course, many of these rude people have kids... who are learning that being rude is okay.

Not to mention all the folks who are even nastier to their spouse than they are to strangers... it's as if as a society, we've come to accept and even value rudeness. I don't get it. I try to be polite or otherwise keep my mouth shut. Yes... this is from the girl with the porcupine av.

cooeedownunder
02-13-2009, 05:35 AM
I try very hard not to let people like that get the better of me. Sometimes they are having a worst day then me, sometimes they are just plain arrogant and rude, and others don't even realise they are being rude. I think that if I let these people get to me, I too won't be able to smile and will become rude and thoughtless.

JoeEkaitis
02-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Without rude people, the freeways in California would be nearly deserted.

Wayne K
02-13-2009, 06:02 AM
Without rude people, the freeways in California would be nearly deserted.

Sounds great.

Wayne K
02-13-2009, 06:04 AM
Standing in line at Starbucks today and a guy comes in and gets in line behind me. He's wearing a bluetooth headset and speaking extra loud because of it. (I guess)
Well, here's the worst part. He was one of those people who don't get the whole personal space boundary thing and he was standing so close to me, he was screaming in my ear. And when I inched as far as I could moving forward and away from him, you guessed it, he moved up too.

Do what I do in that situation. Turn sideways and put your hands on your hips. Some need an elbow to the gut(accidently of course) to get the hint though.:rant:

Zelenka
02-13-2009, 06:08 AM
I just waited 45 minutes outside Asda at midnight in the freezing cold because some 'gentleman' stole my taxi. Joy.

Darzian
02-13-2009, 06:47 AM
*hem hem* Clears throat

Let me begin.
My present location is Sri Lanka which alone should have you run screaming.

1) People jump queues and think it's typical behavior (which it is, though not acceptable).

2) People may bump into you or step on your shoe from behind but will not respond in any way when you turn back. Not even an apologetic smile or even a casual wave of their hand to at least acknowledge you. I say sorry in the same situation but the person whom I bumped into generally ignores me when I apologize. Once, a man actually stared at me for a moment- astonished perhaps- that someone would say 'sorry.'

3) Vehicles from motorbikes to buses do not halt at pedestrian crossings. Call that a traffic rule- I call it rudeness because people are waiting to cross safely and you are not giving them leave to do so.

4) People very rarely queue. They just muddle up around the store or whatever, making it impossible to get anything done without shoving in front of them. I do not shove. Hence I don't get anything done. It's so pathetic that some places (banks etc...) have signboards saying 'Please queue here!' :D

5) I belong to the ethnic minority (make up around 15% of the population) and so do not know the language spoken by the majority. This results in very uncomfortable situations when people do not know either English nor my own mother tongue. I've had someone swear at me for not knowing their language. :shrug:

6) And last but not least- Government officials. They think the rule the universe. Their offices are crumbling, their desks made of rotting wood and they think that every civilian who comes to them is some sort of begger. Be it the Post Office, a national bank, a government hospital (urgh) or any other government related place- you are treated like trash. I avoid them as much as possible but there are times when you have no choice.

Lyra Jean
02-13-2009, 09:56 AM
And this is the part that many, many rude people don't do. They're in a really big hurry or they're really stressed and take it out on those around them who aren't doing what they would/want/etc. A little patience and understanding goes a long way... and what the HELL is so important, anyway? (Not directing any of this at you, sass, just using your comment. =)

Of course, many of these rude people have kids... who are learning that being rude is okay.

Not to mention all the folks who are even nastier to their spouse than they are to strangers... it's as if as a society, we've come to accept and even value rudeness. I don't get it. I try to be polite or otherwise keep my mouth shut. Yes... this is from the girl with the porcupine av.

My mom and sometimes my fiance would have me deal with retail people because according to my mom, "I'm just going to start yelling at them and I don't want to do that." and my fiance, "I just didn't know how to ask without being confrontational." Not all the time but sometimes. Retail people can be stubborn.

Samantha's_Song
02-13-2009, 01:11 PM
This happened about 17 years: I was walking through the market in our town with my husband and this woman trod on the back of my heel, not just once, but twice. I have tiny Brit size 3 feet! I turned to her and said. "Do you mind walking on your own two feet instead of mine?" To which she called me a stupid cow. I swung my arm out and hit her straight across the chest. It's not something I'm proud of, I never usually hit people, but I wasn't going to be called names by someone who was so rude to start with.

scottVee
02-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Sorry to hear these tales. I know those jerks are out there. I see a real piece of work about once a week. Just don't engage them in any way. They can really escalate things and make a huge scene in a hurry. I've seen people who essentially strut around and dare anyone to comment on ther awful behavior. Best to let them run off and be jerks somewhere else. Snide comments or logic will have no positive effect. Heck, they don't even respond well to humor, though I did defuse one rotten situation by asking out of the blue if the guy was a Jackie Chan fan and then talking movies for fifteen minutes, still no win for me, just a waste of time. Maybe someday they will get their lights punched out. We sane folks just don't need the stress.

Wayne K
02-13-2009, 05:42 PM
This happened about 17 years: I was walking through the market in our town with my husband and this woman trod on the back of my heel, not just once, but twice. I have tiny Brit size 3 feet! I turned to her and said. "Do you mind walking on your own two feet instead of mine?" To which she called me a stupid cow. I swung my arm out and hit her straight across the chest. It's not something I'm proud of, I never usually hit people, but I wasn't going to be called names by someone who was so rude to start with.

My hero.

sassandgroove
02-13-2009, 07:46 PM
scottVee you make a good point. Mr. Groove (my hubby) says to me, "Don't let them get to you. You only had to deal with them being an A**hole for 5 minutes. They have to deal with being one the rest of their lives."

Kate Thornton
02-13-2009, 08:04 PM
I dislike rudeness and I am old enough to not put up with it.

I am very easy going myself, and I have a lot of free time, so I am not iin a hurry. Ever.

I let people with 1 item go ahead of me at the supermarket, I let jerk wad morons in SUVs on the freeways go by without so much as a rise in blood pressure, and I stand up and give my seat to anyone older or more infirm than I. Heck, I'm even courteous and pleasant and keep my walker way over to the side at the mall.

Because I practise courtesy as much as I can, I do not tolerate open, raw, ignorant rudeness. For the stupid kids who shoved me out of their way at the mall, I called security and filed a complaint. They were held until their parents picked them up. I got to explain that although I could file assault charges, I would let Mommy & Daddy take care of it this time. They were not happy. But I was.

For the dimwit driving recklessly, I took down the plate number, phoned it in, and although I missed the pleasure of watching him get pulled over, I did have the pleasure of seeing the red-light-and-siren car chasing him down.

Oh, and a while back I was in a restaurant, waiting to get a table. When my name was called, I stood up, with my cane, to follow the host. A large man was blocking my way and I asked politely for him to let me by. He looked at me and ignored me. Then a waitress with a tray of food needed by, too. He still didn't move. I'm afraid I lost control of my cane and it somehow rapped him right across his shins. He yowled, jumped back, we both got by him and the other folks waiting laughed out loud. I said, "Oh, excuse me!"

I don't let them get to me, but I don't want any of these bozos hurting someone else.

Wayne K
02-13-2009, 08:07 PM
scottVee you make a good point. Mr. Groove (my hubby) says to me, "Don't let them get to you. You only had to deal with them being an A**hole for 5 minutes. They have to deal with being one the rest of their lives."

My friend Chris used to say "Never argue with a jacka&&, because people will have a hard time knowing who is what."

Words to live by.

Sweetleaf
02-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Another pet peeve:

People who leave their shopping trolleys in the middle of the aisle at the supermarket, thereby creating a huge backlog of other shoppers trying to get past. They are nearly always completely oblivious to the fact that there are other people in the store, and look at you like you just dropped in from outer space if you say 'excuse me'.

I get so angry with them, I either ram their trolley out of the way with mine (if there's not many others around to injure), or tell my children loudly 'we move our trolley to the side when we're getting some thing down, because we don't want to be inconsiderate and block the way for everyone else.' People hate that, he he.

Clair Dickson
02-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Another pet peeve:

People who leave their shopping trolleys in the middle of the aisle at the supermarket, thereby creating a huge backlog of other shoppers trying to get past. They are nearly always completely oblivious to the fact that there are other people in the store, and look at you like you just dropped in from outer space if you say 'excuse me'.

I get so angry with them, I either ram their trolley out of the way with mine (if there's not many others around to injure), or tell my children loudly 'we move our trolley to the side when we're getting some thing down, because we don't want to be inconsiderate and block the way for everyone else.' People hate that, he he.

This is why I have to do my grocery shopping late at night. This sort of thing enrages me. One of these days, I will kill someone with a soup can for parking across the entire aisle. It's even worse when they do it in one of the main aisles.

Lyra Jean
02-14-2009, 10:05 AM
This is why I have to do my grocery shopping late at night. This sort of thing enrages me. One of these days, I will kill someone with a soup can for parking across the entire aisle. It's even worse when they do it in one of the main aisles.

Death by soup can. When shoppers have had enough.

I'm a cashier and some people after ringing up their groceries will grab the bags and just leave with their trolley right there in front of my register. How hard is it to put your bags in the trolley and wheel it over to the entrance and then pick your bags up and go outside. So I have to stop and move the trolley so my other customers can pay for their groceries. Sometimes the rude person sees me and says O I could have gotten that. Sometimes I want to say then why didn't you? But I can't cause I still need my job.

pandora_6666
02-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Death by soup can. When shoppers have had enough.

I'm a cashier and some people after ringing up their groceries will grab the bags and just leave with their trolley right there in front of my register. How hard is it to put your bags in the trolley and wheel it over to the entrance and then pick your bags up and go outside. So I have to stop and move the trolley so my other customers can pay for their groceries. Sometimes the rude person sees me and says O I could have gotten that. Sometimes I want to say then why didn't you? But I can't cause I still need my job.

Something like that happened to me the other day. I was in line behind a woman in one of those motorized carts they have at a lot of stores for disabled customers. She had more than the 20 item limit, had a pile of coupons and then was amazingly slow at writing her check. when she finally got done she just got up out of her motorized cart and walked right out of the store and just left it right there blocking the whole thing up and walked right out of the store like all was right with the world. I didn't know how to work the thing, so the poor cashier had to stop and drive it over to where it belonged and then come back. It was like wtf!?!

Siddow
02-14-2009, 06:01 PM
My friend Chris used to say "Never argue with a jacka&&, because people will have a hard time knowing who is what."

Words to live by.

I heard, "Never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

As to the silent woman in the OP: I moved from rural Georgia to Los Angeles when I was 25. I was used to speaking to everyone, at the grocery store, at the post office, walking down the street. "Hey, how ya'll doing?"

They don't do that in Los Angeles. :)

Wayne K
02-14-2009, 06:40 PM
I heard, "Never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

As to the silent woman in the OP: I moved from rural Georgia to Los Angeles when I was 25. I was used to speaking to everyone, at the grocery store, at the post office, walking down the street. "Hey, how ya'll doing?"

They don't do that in Los Angeles. :)

I like the experience thing. As for the other, I would purposly walk down the street in New York smiling, and people would do things (too tired to list them all) to wipe that stupid grin off my face.

Sweetleaf
02-15-2009, 02:37 AM
Why do people hate smiling? I like smiling. I like smiley people.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Siddow
02-15-2009, 03:04 AM
Why do people hate smiling? I like smiling. I like smiley people.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

:Hug2: Aw, hon, I feel ya. How's yer mom and them?

Carole
02-15-2009, 08:48 AM
I used to be this doormat kind of person, but lately I'm coming out of my shell. Grocery stores are the worst. Not only on every aisle is there someone with their buggy in whoppy-jawed in the middle, but half their living relatives are with the person shopping. Ida know--it's great family fun? So there will be a sideways buggy and forty-eleven people wandering around it aimlessly, and we can't forget the umpteen screaming kids. I used to be the type of person who would stand back a little and try my best to make eye contact with someone. Now, I roll right up on them leaving them NO place to go but forward before I say "Excuse me", and usually not in a friendly tone. I'm sorry if I sound like a bitch, but really I am so sick and tired of idiots who have no concept that a world exists outside theirs, and we aren't all going to stand around and wait for them to decide which brand of corn to buy as if it's a life-altering decision.

Kateri
02-15-2009, 08:59 AM
I try very hard not to let people like that get the better of me. Sometimes they are having a worst day then me, sometimes they are just plain arrogant and rude, and others don't even realise they are being rude. I think that if I let these people get to me, I too won't be able to smile and will become rude and thoughtless.

Without sounding like Pollyanna, I agree, Coo. I expect people to be rude, obnoxious, thoughtless and foolish. It's like driving defensively, waiting for an idiot to do something wrong. I will not be rude back, in fact I am NICE back. It makes them furious. I then get amused. If someone abuses me, road rage, for example I yell out "Love You!!" or beep my horn an wave, smiling. I don't need their crap. Negativity is quicksand.

cooeedownunder
02-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Without sounding like Pollyanna, I agree, Coo. I expect people to be rude, obnoxious, thoughtless and foolish. It's like driving defensively, waiting for an idiot to do something wrong. I will not be rude back, in fact I am NICE back. It makes them furious. I then get amused. If someone abuses me, road rage, for example I yell out "Love You!!" or beep my horn an wave, smiling. I don't need their crap. Negativity is quicksand.

He, he... :)

David Conner
02-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Another pet peeve:

[QUOTE]People who leave their shopping trolleys in the middle of the aisle at the supermarket,

Put something expensive in it, or better yet, casually begin filling it with items from the nearest shelf.

Cassiopeia
02-15-2009, 10:52 AM
I guess I'm getting up there in age because I have zero tolerance or patience for blatantly rude people. And trust me, I have a look that says it all.

What bugs me the most, is people who stand or weave right in front of me without a clue as to what they are doing. They stand there slack jawed looking around the store and block everyone's path. Today, I made the mistake of going to Circuit City's closing their doors sale. This woman ACTUALLY pushed me into my friend with her weaving over and didn't even act like she noticed when her shoulder slammed into mine. Then she planted her feet so no one could get past.

So, I did a very rude thing for the first time in my life. I pushed into her right shoulder with my left one and shoved her aside saying EXCUSE ME in a rather rude and annoyed tone.

I have people who constantly cut me off or dart out in front of me from a side street. My roommate cracked me up today when he said, "wow, I wish I could do that but I just don't have the right driving skills I guess".

My 17 year old son HATES his job at Einstein Bagels for one reason. Rude customers. He's always telling me: "jeez Mom, I'm 17 and people expect me to be rude and I'm not like that at all. Where was their mother when they were growing up."

And so it is...people seem to think it's okay to not have manners anymore.

overtired: the next time someone does to you what that man did, you look him straight in the eye and say: No, you weren't...you were in another line..now get to the back and wait your turn.

And if that doesn't work you go get the manager and complain about the employee who let that customer mistreat you.

As for the woman who stared at you...next time she does it, ask her...is there a problem?

Yes...staring is rude and EVERYONE knows it.

Bartholomew
02-15-2009, 11:01 AM
A few months ago a woman actually pulled in front of me in a McDonald's drive-thru. As the car in front of me started to pull forward, she inched her car in between that car and mine.

That was a first.

That happened to me once. I put my car in neutral and stood between him and the drive-through window. He got really, really loud. My reply was, "No cutsies."

I think I'm lucky he didn't have a gun. People take their fast food W A Y too seriously.

Carole
02-15-2009, 11:41 PM
So, I did a very rude thing for the first time in my life. I pushed into her right shoulder with my left one and shoved her aside saying EXCUSE ME in a rather rude and annoyed tone.

*snip*

And so it is...people seem to think it's okay to not have manners anymore.

Good for you! I have done similar things before, and it's liberating.

And yes, people are becoming so self-involved and parents don't seem to have the good sense that God gave a doughnut when it comes to teaching their kids manners. The sad thing is that it's ultimately the person being slighted who looks more aggressive when they stand up for themselves. The rude person is probably just (unfortunately) doing what comes natural to them. (which speaks volumes about their character.) But when we stand up for ourselves, we are moving out of our comfort zone and into their crappy territory.

regdog
02-16-2009, 12:23 AM
At the dental office where I used to work I had a patient call the office. He wanted me to do something with his adult son's insurance that wasn't legal and I refused. He started yelling at me and I told him politely if he did not stop yelling at me I would hang up, so he yelled louder and I hung up. He called back yelling at me for hanging up and I hung up again.

I refused to take his call, so the dentist did. The patient ranted and raved that I had hung up on him twice and the dentist said very nicely, "did she tell you not to yell at her or she would hang up?" he said yes and the dentist said she warned you, maybe you should have listened. He then began to yell at the dentist, you guessed it, he hung up on the guy.

Another thing that always amazed me-people who would come in and pick a fight with the dentist about a bill or a procedure they needed, right before he was about to stick something sharp in their mouth. :Wha:
Not the smartest thing to do.

Sophia
02-16-2009, 12:50 AM
I will not be rude back, in fact I am NICE back. It makes them furious. I then get amused. If someone abuses me, road rage, for example I yell out "Love You!!" or beep my horn an wave, smiling. I don't need their crap. Negativity is quicksand.

I love this reaction.

One of the things I find hardest is not getting angry at rudeness. I don't lash out or anything; it just all seems to get internalised. I can feel myself getting agitated just reading this thread, and I start imagining huge fights with the people described, which is just ridiculous! :e2paperba

I'm going to try your approach, Kateri. :)

Wayne K
02-16-2009, 03:41 AM
At the dental office where I used to work I had a patient call the office. He wanted me to do something with his adult son's insurance that wasn't legal and I refused. He started yelling at me and I told him politely if he did not stop yelling at me I would hang up, so he yelled louder and I hung up. He called back yelling at me for hanging up and I hung up again.

I refused to take his call, so the dentist did. The patient ranted and raved that I had hung up on him twice and the dentist said very nicely, "did she tell you not to yell at her or she would hang up?" he said yes and the dentist said she warned you, maybe you should have listened. He then began to yell at the dentist, you guessed it, he hung up on the guy.

Was that you?

KikiteNeko
02-16-2009, 03:49 AM
The first thing you said happens to me ALL the time. I'll smile, wave, or say hi to some random stranger, and it's usually because they looked at me or sat down next to me or something, and they will stare at me like I just threatened to punch their grandma.

Also, once I was stopped at a red light. It was a single lane of traffic. The second the light turned green, I started to go, but I obviously wasn't going fast enough because the car behind me flew past me ON THE SHOULDER to cut me off. And then promptly slammed his brakes for a car that was turning onto the road. So even though this idiot cut me off, she now was stuck behind another car going 20 MPH. And she was driving a minivan full of kids, PS. I came THIS close to slamming into her. I should have just let it happen.

KikiteNeko
02-16-2009, 03:50 AM
I really hate when people honk when you WANT to sit a red light (yeah, you can turn on red unless there's a sign that says it doesn't). Ticked me off because I'm not gonna jump because you tell me to.

No offense but it drives me nuts when the car in front of me won't turn right on red when it's perfectly okay to and there's no sign saying you can't.

Cassiopeia
02-16-2009, 04:44 AM
I had a guy honk at me for stopping at a stop sign. I always count to three. It's what my driver's ed teacher taught me. A complete stop requires that you stop to the count of three. Most people roll on through it.

If it were up to me and I wasn't scared I'd get shot, I'd get out of my car the next time someone honks at me for observing traffic signs and ask them what their problem is. :D

But I'm this side of chicken so that won't happen. :D

Kate Thornton
02-16-2009, 04:47 AM
I had a guy honk at me for stopping at a stop sign.

I used to hold my Federal Agent's badge up to my window and watch the color drain before I moseyed on through the intersection.

Cassiopeia
02-16-2009, 04:51 AM
I used to hold my Federal Agent's badge up to my window and watch the color drain before I moseyed on through the intersection.OH HOW COOL!

I want one of those. :D

chevbrock
02-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Of all rudeness I hate rudeness behind the wheel of a car the most, because more often than not, it's accompianied by thoughtless and dangerous behaviour. It endangers their life (and I'm sure it must feel rather ant-Darwinian to have to perform first aid on these people) your life, and of course, anyone else who happens along at the right time.

All for the sake of a few extra seconds.

sassandgroove
02-16-2009, 08:40 PM
reg's post reminded me of the construction company where I used to work as a receptionist. I may have been the lo one on the totem pole, but the bosses kept their doors open all the time and looked out for me. The owner told me he didn't pay me to get yelled at and I was to hang up to anyone who was rude to me. This was after an HVAC guy yelled at me and subsequently didnt' work for us anymore.

We had this one concrete subcontractor who was friends with our VP. I guess he thought this gave him license to do whatever he wanted. So one day the VP is in a meeting (In his office with the open door.) And told me what to tell the subs who were calling about a specific job. So this concrete guy calls and asks for the VP and I tell him the VP is in a meeting and ask if he's calling about said job. He says yes, so I tell him what VP said to say. Well, he starts yelling at me. As though he was more important than the VP who - you know- could sign my paycheck if the P was out..., So I put him on hold. We didn't have hold music so it was a deep quiet hold. I walk into VP's office and tell him his friend is yelling at me on line 2. VP puts him on speaker and listens, as he is still yelling, and then says, "Is that so?" Oh let me tell you, concrete guy got real quiet. The phone was ringing so I had to go back to answer it, but later that day, concrete guy sent me flowers. Guess VP told him what was what. :)

regdog
02-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Was that you?

:D

Mela
02-17-2009, 10:13 PM
To get to my job I have to cross a busy street at a traffic light, head onto a jug handle (I don't know what you'd call that outside of the U.S. - basically it turns you back the other way) so I can cross the street from the opposite direction and make a right turn into the parking lot.

Often, as I'm heading straight into the jughandle, (where I turn left and then head immediately into the right lane so I can then make the right turn after crossing back over the street) there are cars heading towards me, accessing the jughandle from the other direction (so let's say I'm heading north into the jughandle; they're traveling south into it). I have to yield to these cars otherwise I'd have a head-on collision. I can't tell you how many drivers behind me have BEEPED at me, annoyed that I've stopped to let the traffic through so I can get all the way to the right.

The other day this woman behind me beeps several times - CAN'T YOU SEE I HAVE TO YIELD TO TRAFFIC?? I gave her an annoying wave and told her to shut up (she couldn't hear me but she could have surmised what I said).

Honestly - they're SO DUMB. What would they have me do - head right into the line of cars?

It bugs me.

MMcDonald64
02-21-2009, 02:48 AM
I'm a respiratory therapist, and I was giving a man a breathing treatment in the ER. As he took the treatment, I stayed in the room, went over my work list, planning what I was going to do next. The treatment takes about ten minutes, and so for the last couple, I just kind of stood there, probably still thinking about what I should do after giving the guy his treatment.

He looked at me, and in this very smug voice said, "It must be really boring watching people breathe all day long."

Now, as a therapist, I respond to all codes. (code blue or whatever that hospital calls them) I so wanted to say to him, "You're right, it is boring watching people breathe all day; it doesn't get exciting until they stop."

Grr...