Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Got my July issue of Writer's Digest today with my article in it: "Nice Work-- Just Change Everything." Admired the graphic for a second, then tore out the pages. I have a binder where I keep all my clips, and I tossed it on the floor next to my bookshelves to remind myself to put it in my binder later. Went out for a bit, came back and found that my cat had vomited all over the article.

Very humbling to find out this is what she thinks of my work.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Cats

JennaGlatzer said:
Got my July issue of Writer's Digest today with my article in it: "Nice Work-- Just Change Everything." Admired the graphic for a second, then tore out the pages. I have a binder where I keep all my clips, and I tossed it on the floor next to my bookshelves to remind myself to put it in my binder later. Went out for a bit, came back and found that my cat had vomited all over the article.

One of my cats upchucked on my keyboard, so I can empathize. I just assumed my cat was preparing me for the world of critics and reviewers.

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
One time a few years ago...

...I had a literary agent tear off a corner of a sheet of notebook paper, write "Not for us" on it, and send it to me. Talk about humbling, I wasn't even worth a full sheet of notebook paper!

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Cats are reincarnated Professors Emeritus. They are merely jealous of the fact that we can still read and write and they can't. Before the advent of computers they used to sit on your papers/newspapers, now they try and sabotage the new technology.

azbikergirl

I really do look like this.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fantasyauthor.blogspot.com
If my cat lived at your house, he'd have cleaned up the mess long before you got home. He'll eat anything not nailed down. (Poor thing was abandoned as a baby, so he's probably scared he'll never eat again.)

Say, where's MY copy of WD? I gotta read that article :)

mdmkay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mdmkay.blogspot.com
JennaGlatzer said:

(Laughing_) Oh Jenna I was feeling so terrible sorry for you because I misread your post and thought the editor had wrote on it Nice Work--Just Change Everything and then tore out the pages of your graphics and sent it back to you and then on top of that humiliation the cat upchucked all over it.........I felt just terrible for you........but now not so horrible...at least you can always get another copy and keep it away from the cat. congratulations on your article. (wouldn't it be so cool if I could type and think at the same time...or type and spell, or type and breath, heck I'd settle for walk and chew gum at the same time).

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
:D Yeah, thank goodness the editor still likes my work. The cat is DEFINITELY trying to tell me something. She is the barf queen-- always has been... just eats way too fast, but is perfectly healthy-- but has always been rather polite about her barfing before now. Tends to let it loose on the wood floors rather than rugs, so I thank her for making it not too obnoxious to clean. But last week she decided to barf INTO MY MONITOR... you know, right through those slats on top. I was in there with a Q-tip cursing her name. Then she gives me those cat-from-Shrek eyes...

39429.jpg

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
There's a whole new threat. I never even imagined I'd have to guard my work from my cats, but there you go. Jenna, please tell me you're planning on buying a new monitor soon? :) Those Shrek guys really know the personality of a cat.

Simran

JennaGlatzer said:
:D Yeah, thank goodness the editor still likes my work. The cat is DEFINITELY trying to tell me something. She is the barf queen-- always has been... just eats way too fast, but is perfectly healthy-- but has always been rather polite about her barfing before now. Tends to let it loose on the wood floors rather than rugs, so I thank her for making it not too obnoxious to clean. But last week she decided to barf INTO MY MONITOR... you know, right through those slats on top. I was in there with a Q-tip cursing her name. Then she gives me those cat-from-Shrek eyes...

39429.jpg

cute cat Jenna but puss-in-boots-eyes or not she needs to stay away from the workplace. LOL

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Wow! This has me wondering what my dog would do to one of my pieces. I'm tempted to strew some of my articles across the floor and go out. Come to think of it, though, I wouldn't be up to the cleaning (or the implications) when I come home to find little brown castles on my work. Your cat should become a critic!

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
KTC said:
Your cat should become a critic!

Whaddya mean? Her cat IS a critic! What Jenna should do is get that cat to the keyboard and see what it can do.

Those who can, write.
Those who can't write, barf.

Let's see what you've got in ya, Miss Kitty Kat. Think it's so easy, huh?

Uncletrunx

Limited by talent
Registered
Reaction score
arrowqueen said:
Cats are reincarnated Professors Emeritus. They are merely jealous of the fact that we can still read and write and they can't. Before the advent of computers they used to sit on your papers/newspapers, now they try and sabotage the new technology.
This seems so true! My cat won't let me read / type anything while he's around!

The most cutting rejection letter I ever heard of may be an urban myth but it bears repeating:

A writer submitted some poems to a publication, asking that they decide whether or not they wanted to use them quickly as he had "other irons in the fire."
He received a letter back suggesting that he remove the irons and insert the poems!

Poppy

Me, myself and I don't know
Registered
Reaction score
I got my copy of Writer's Digest today. That's a really good and helpful article, Jenna. If you still need the original pages for your clip file, I'd be happy to send you my copy of the mag or the pages of your article. I don't see why you should pay $6 for another copy of the mag when I really don't need this one (since writing isn't my main focus anymore) and would be more than happy to send it to you. Let me know, ok?

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
Got my July issue of Writer's Digest today with my article in it: "Nice Work-- Just Change Everything."

Jenna, I just picked up a copy today from Barnes and Nobles. Actually that's where I am now as I type this. I'm an avid reader of Writer's Digest. Your article as usual is very informative. I picked up a book days ago: Writer's Digest Handbook of Magazine Article Writing 2nd Edition, and read the back cover to find that you were one of the contributors.

Although I've been a fan of Writer's Digest for quite sometime, sadly; I've never paid much attention to the names of the writers/authors. But now, since being at the AW, your name rings a bell that keeps me looking for more of your material. Plus it's pretty cool, knowing that I am just a few keystrokes away from one of the most successful freelance writers. :Hail:
:banana:

WriteRead

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
dan-skies.blogspot.com
Did you hear about the cat which pissed on the fax and put the house on fire?

It happened yest, or a day before, somewhere in this cat mundo, ha-ha. Sad, really.

Dan

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
smallthunder said:
Those who can, write.
Those who can't write, barf.

LOL!!! :ROFL:

I used to have a cat and anytime I'd be writing (the old fashioned way, with a pen), he'd thoughtfully sit next to the paper I'd be writing on, occasionally batting at the pen.

I like Anne's idea! ;)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Greenwolf103 said:
I used to have a cat and anytime I'd be writing (the old fashioned way, with a pen), he'd thoughtfully sit next to the paper I'd be writing on, occasionally batting at the pen.

I always do first draft with pen and paper. My cat--who is a rather unsociable ragdoll--will hunt and kill my moving pen. When the kill is complete, she flops down on my notepad.

FloVoyager

Will write for chocolate
Registered
Reaction score
...I had a literary agent tear off a corner of a sheet of notebook paper, write "Not for us" on it, and send it to me.
Now, that's just plain unprofessional, imo - not to mention tacky.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
JennaGlatzer said:

Wow, that reminds me of the time that my four year old told me (we had been trying to break her of rudely expressing her dislike of anything that wasn't plain noodles) "Mom, when you cook... it makes me wish I didn't have a tongue."

jackie106

Registered
Reaction score
aadams73 said:
I always do first draft with pen and paper. My cat--who is a rather unsociable ragdoll--will hunt and kill my moving pen. When the kill is complete, she flops down on my notepad.

My dad's cat tries to bit my knitting needles while I am knitting. I can't knit while I am at his place.

His cat is an overachiever. Most cats seem to go for the yarn, not the needles.

Jackie

D.J.

Registered
Reaction score
Restive Soul said:
Wow, that reminds me of the time that my four year old told me (we had been trying to break her of rudely expressing her dislike of anything that wasn't plain noodles) "Mom, when you cook... it makes me wish I didn't have a tongue."

Oh, that is one of the funniest things I've ever heard! I love the things kids say, good thing, since I was in education for so loooooooooong. LOL!

Jenna, sorry about your cat's cruel reveiw, but that's why I have dogs. They love everything I do unconditionally. Since I hate rejection, it works for me! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.