Experience with internet dating?

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
For a magazine article I am writing, I need to interview folks with experience in cyber dating. Happy to keep your anonymous!

Please let me know by PM or replying here if you're interested in being interviewed.

Thanks!

Mumbleduck

Quackin' up.
Registered
Reaction score
I also met my husband online - and moved from England to Canada to be with him! Are you looking for people who just met online, or people who specifically use dating sites like eharmony and whatnot?

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I met my boyfriend through an online dating service and we've been together four years. Would probably be open to answering questions.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I also met my husband online - and moved from England to Canada to be with him! Are you looking for people who just met online, or people who specifically use dating sites like eharmony and whatnot?

One of the men I met online was from New Zealand but he seemed a little off. So now I'm only moving from the West Coast of Florida to the dumb East Coast of Florida.

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
I've done a bit of internet dating too (through a dating site). I've gone on a few dates, talked to more people, and eventually found my boyfriend. We have been together for 3 years now and are still going strong. We would be happy to help if you still need it.

CarolSanDiego

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carolcallicotte.com
Wow - guess I'm not alone in that I met my husband on an internet dating site. The unique thing for me, perhaps, was that he was the first and only person I went out with. How lucky is that? We joke that I "added husband to shopping cart" then hit "check out."

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
My better half only "dated" one other person before me, and only for a few days.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
For a magazine article I am writing, I need to interview folks with experience in cyber dating. Happy to keep your anonymous!

Please let me know by PM or replying here if you're interested in being interviewed.

Thanks!

I met my husband on an online dating site. We started chatting on a Sunday, met that Tuesday, got engaged within 3 months and married 6 months after that. Been together 7 years. :D

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the horror story:

We met online January 25, 2002, but were just e-mail friends. Would that be "font pals"?

She invited me to visit her in Oregon over Christmas and New Year 2005-2006.

After several more visits between Montana and Oregon, I moved to Oregon . . . and we're still together.

That'll learn her to stay off the internet.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I met an ex on the internet, and she was a psycho. Cheated on me twice (would have left her if I knew about the first one before the end of the relationship) and then broke it off with me in a very poor fashion.

We talked recently, a few years after the breakup, and she apologised. It was nice, but I took a little guilty pleasure in some of the things she had gone through since we were over. Some of them were really bad, and I wouldn't wish them on anyone, but some were funny.

ETA: Also, I met a girl online who stalked me. So I guess it's internet 2, me 1.

CarolSanDiego

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carolcallicotte.com
Okay, now I'm sad. That really sucks.

I had some interesting stalkers - but never went further than the web. But here's something embarrassing: I'm a physical therapist, and one day this semi-familiar looking guy (pretty easy on the eyes, actually) came in for an evaluation. He told me I looked familiar, but I didn't think much of it because everyone tells me that (I have one of those faces). On our second or third visit, he asked me if I'd ever been on Match.com. I said yes... slowly realizing where I knew him from. Turns out he'd "winked" at me and sent me a few notes, and I'd ignored them all. If I remember right, he was one of those guys whose profile picture was him standing in front of his shiny big truck. Not my thing. Anyway, we had an awkward laugh, and he never came back to therapy.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, that's funny. My stalker sat outside my house a few times leaving creepy messages on my mobile. I called the cops on her once and told them she was smoking weed in her car. They pulled it apart, but let her go after about 30 minutes. She left me alone after that.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
One of the guys I met we talked on the phone. I used ChristianCafe. Forgot when you use cell phones that they get your number. Anyways, guy did have a picture and he weighed around 300 lbs. His favorite food is fried, fried, and more fried and he wasn't into exercising.

After a couple of phone calls I told him I didn't see us as anything more than friends. He was really nice but I was not attracted to him in the least. He told me I wasn't letting God guide me in my relationships and that I was going to grow up old and alone because I was so picky. So I hung up on him.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
One guy responded to my profile. We traded a few emails discussing likes and dislikes at which point he said he was the Smashing Pumpkins greatest fan and LIVED for the band.

I told him that I really dug Billy Corgan's coat in the Ava Adore video. He told me he had never heard of the song and asked who Billy Corgan was. Curious, I wrote back that Corgan had performed vocals on Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. He asked if that was a band.

Not a horror story, but a bit amusing.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
I met my boyfriend on a dating site. Love him to bits. We live 200 miles apart and see each other for at least 2 or 3 days a week. I know couples who live beside each other and don't see their partner that much.

bylinebree

Still Seeking the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.breedavison.wordpress.com
This is all so nice and sweet. Where are the horror stories? Not than I'm not happy for all of us... I just want to hear the dirt!

My BFF has told me her horror experiences of internet dating/sites for the past few years, with all the sordid details (which break my heart for her).

Story #1: A "Nice Christian Guy" from a dating site asked her to meet him at a ski resort for the weekend. She went, only to hear him to talk obsessively about his Barbie-doll former wife all weekend long (who had cheated on & left him). Later, my friend found his profile on some site where he had about 100 women as his "friends"!

#2: Another guy claimed to have a "ministry to youth" and "so much in common with her." He drove to meet her, convinced her he had "hurt his back" and needed a massage...then he date-raped her.

OMG. My husband had better do what I say & die after me, because I am never doing the online thing!!

Are those sordid enough for your research? Sorry they aren't funny...