PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts Please!

gothicangel
02-12-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm having a discussion on another forum about self-publishing; and would like to hear other opinions.

An author has stated that they pay a printer 100 to hold a digital file of the book on their computer. Is this fair? My inital though was 'extortionate.'

If I'm correct Lulu does this for free right? So why are printers charging?

StephenJSweeney
02-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Is the printing free from that 100 printer? If not, then they're being ripped off.

Lulu doesn't charge a bean to upload files - They make their money from services such as printing, distribution, royalties, and commission.

MickRooney
02-12-2009, 06:26 PM
If this is just a standard digital printer - it does seem a little odd. I've heard of POD publishers charging a database fee of around the $25 mark on a yearly basis, but if this author has went to the digital printer with a view to having a print run done - all this should have been specified in the quote they gave.

It would be interesting to know it this company is an actual printer, or perhaps you friend is in fact dealing with a printer who also offers author services for self publishers. I know there are a number of these companies in the UK who have expanded from being just printers into the POD publishing market.

Either way, this is expensive, and your friend might find that they can get a better deal elsewhere.

gothicangel
02-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Yeah that is what I thought.

I'll have to go and ask some more questions . . .

ResearchGuy
02-12-2009, 11:34 PM
. . . An author has stated that they pay a printer 100 to hold a digital file of the book on their computer. . . . So why are printers charging?
It would be fair to ask the printer, "Exactly what am I getting for my 100?" Maybe there is more to the story. If not, it is money badly spent.

--Ken

veinglory
02-12-2009, 11:45 PM
I don't think you can take one item out and say if it is reasonable. Lulu is free upfront but they have profit built into the very high cover prices whcih can hamstring sales for authors planning to sell rather more than a few dozen copies. If a one off fee helps achieve a competitive cover price for the book it might well be a good idea.

ResearchGuy
02-13-2009, 06:45 AM
I don't think you can take one item out and say if it is reasonable. Lulu is free upfront but they have profit built into the very high cover prices whcih can hamstring sales for authors planning to sell rather more than a few dozen copies. If a one off fee helps achieve a competitive cover price for the book it might well be a good idea.
Their prices drop sharply with quantities of 500 and up, and at 1,000 they get bids on offset printing, cheaper yet. But for small numbers, yes, they are expensive. One of my self-publishing friends used Createspace for his latest book for that reason.

--Ken

Sweetleaf
03-12-2009, 05:55 AM
Doesn't sound quite right to me.

ResearchGuy
03-12-2009, 06:04 AM
Doesn't sound quite right to me.
What does not sound right?

--Ken