Shark attack...

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
:Shrug: by the time we eat the sharks the man has already became part of the shark

So I guess that means the answer is yes, Joe.

Best leave the beasties alone to do their ocean balancing thing. maybe they get too close to land for the same reason dolphins do. I've heard they only bite people because they think people are seals. I'm guessing they don't see too well.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I've heard they only bite people because they think people are seals. I'm guessing they don't see too well.

I could explain it all to you, about pelagic sharks, reef sharks, etc., but this is a humorous thread, so it seems that sorta explanation about how sharks really aren't what anyone, save a few, thinks they are doesn't really fit in here. I've been in the water with many types of sharks, many times. They are nothing to fear by any stretch of the imagination.

But, if enough folks are interested in input from someone who has some really decent, in part scientific, input on the matter, then we can derail this thread like none other has ever been derailed before.

We can make AW history!

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
I like the scene where the man steals his better half's lifejacket and then jumps overboard, right into the open jaws. Now, that's what I call karma!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had a megladon

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, they're really just cute little cuddly creatures.

Nurse sharks are pretty cuddly, but they don't have teeth, just grinding plates like stingrays. You still don't want a 'kiss', because they can tear off skin.

White Tips are curious and will follow you like a puppy when you're scuba diving. If you dig in the sand, they'll poke their nose in the hole, trying to see what you're doing.

I don't mean to say folks shouldn't respect sharks, but irrational fear of all sharks is dangerous to both them and us.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
But, if enough folks are interested in input from someone who has some really decent, in part scientific, input on the matter, then we can derail this thread like none other has ever been derailed before.

We can make AW history!

I have always been absolutely fascinated by sharks - even before Jaws. But when Jaws came out, I was obsessed. Read everything I could get my hands on.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Most sharks aren't aggressive toward humans, unless they mistake you for a meal or feel threatened. Still, some species do attack people from time to time, so they're best left alone.

I've had a number of encounters with hammerheads and bulls while fishing, and I was damn happy to be on a boat and not in the water. While reviving tarpon, I've had bulls snatch the fish from my grasp. One time, all that was left was the head and part of the neck. Had the shark reached up further, I would've lost a hand.

The biggest hammerhead I've ever seen was as big around as an SUV and at least sixteen to eighteen feet long. I heard it coming from a long way, stirring up the surface and creating a broad wake. My friend was fighting a tarpon near the boat. I yelled at him to cut the line, and I grabbed my camera. From the boat's tower, I had time for one shot.

You can see part of the tarpon, which weighed about two hundred pounds, to the left of the photo just as it was seized by the shark:

Shark1-2.jpg