PDA

View Full Version : New Front Door!

Madisonwrites
02-12-2009, 04:05 AM
Hey, I noticed the new welcome page to AW when I logged in. Nice! I think it looks great! Any one else agree?

Or not?

stormie
02-12-2009, 04:07 AM
Whoa, wait a minute. I don't get a "welcome" page. What welcome page? Where? And a front door? Does it have a doorbell or somethin'?

alleycat
02-12-2009, 04:09 AM
Whoa, wait a minute. I don't get a "welcome" page. What welcome page? Where? And a front door? Does it have a doorbell or somethin'?
I think she means this one: http://www.absolutewrite.com/

I don't usually see it either since I go directly to the forums.

MacAllister
02-12-2009, 04:10 AM
Absolutewrite.com (http://absolutewrite.com) has a new look, Stormie. :) We've been working on cleaning up a bunch of crufty old and defunct code for a while, now.

Don
02-12-2009, 04:12 AM
Oh, shiny! :)

Sneaky Devil
02-12-2009, 04:18 AM
me likes it a bunch :D

stormie
02-12-2009, 04:21 AM
Thank you, Mac, for linking me to the front door! Finally I realize that there's more to AW than the forums. :D
(Kidding. AW has pubbed me twice, and for that I'm thankful.)

TheRightEyedDeer
02-12-2009, 04:22 AM
Oh yeah! That's really spiffy. I was just thinking earlier today that the AW main page looked kinda dated. Now it's uber modern! Nice job, guys.

Medievalist
02-12-2009, 04:25 AM
I'm working on stuff in between my real job, so let me know if you see weirdness.

It's going to be changing fairly rapidly; we've been working on it for quite a while.

Medievalist
02-12-2009, 04:27 AM
Oh yeah! That's really spiffy. I was just thinking earlier today that the AW main page looked kinda dated. Now it's uber modern! Nice job, guys.

Thank you!

The old pages were so non-standard that they wouldn't work at all for a lot of browsers, and people using reader technology because of visual problems were completely shut out.

Last year we worked on getting the forums to work for people with screen readers, but it's going to take a while to clean the various Web sites up.

smoothseas
02-12-2009, 04:32 AM
I generally come straight to the forums, too. But I just checked. Absolutely LOVE the new look.

Well-done, Mac, and very inviting.

bsolah
02-12-2009, 04:46 AM
Ooh, love the look but where are the articles?

Medievalist
02-12-2009, 04:56 AM
Ooh, love the look but where are the articles?

They are still there. Keep in mind that I have to hand-convert the pages--they have ads that are pretty awful looking, and don't actually generate revenue, and HTML that would make a cat sick. I have to remove that by hand.

There are thousands of pages. Almost every page has a link to the Zinestar subscription service, which stopped actually adding new newsletter subscriptions a very long time ago. That needs to be removed as well.

If you've got a favorite you want me to prioritize in converting, let me know. Otherwise, I'm just going directory by directory.

TheRightEyedDeer
02-12-2009, 04:58 AM
Wow, Medievalist. That's one HUGE job. Are your eyes crossing yet? :)

bsolah
02-12-2009, 05:00 AM
Yeah, best of luck with that huge job!

Medievalist
02-12-2009, 05:12 AM
Wow, Medievalist. That's one HUGE job. Are your eyes crossing yet? :)

Heh.

I was born with crossed-eyes!

In all seriousness, the crufty HMTL has meant Google simply ignores a lot of the pages, so one of the things I'm doing is generating a Google site map for the files; this will make the content--and there is some really good content mixed in with some not-so-good stuff--easier for people and Google to find.

Mel
02-12-2009, 05:33 AM
Clean and crisp, love it!

CarolSanDiego
02-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Whoa - had a brief moment of panic - wondering where my precious AW was - then I realized what had happened and came straight to this thread. It looks GREAT. Nice job!

Madisonwrites
02-12-2009, 07:38 AM
How do you go straight to the forums? I've always had to go through the front door to get in here. No one told me there was a back way! Where is it?

MacAllister
02-12-2009, 07:40 AM
Heh. I just bookmarked absolutewrite.com/forums on my toolbar, years ago.

Roger J Carlson
02-12-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm working on stuff in between my real job, so let me know if you see weirdness. Looks good!

The alignment of the links on the Resources (http://www.absolutewrite.com/resources/)page is off and the link to Home is wierd.

Medievalist
02-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Looks good!

The alignment of the links on the Resources (http://www.absolutewrite.com/resources/)page is off and the link to Home is wierd.

I'm working on that even as we speak.

Haskins sent me copy for Author Scoop.

Birol
02-12-2009, 09:20 PM
I just saw the new front door today, which is odd because I usually just come straight to the forums. It looks very sharp.

Maryn
02-12-2009, 09:24 PM
How do you go straight to the forums? I've always had to go through the front door to get in here. No one told me there was a back way! Where is it?
One way is to bookmark http://absolutewrite.com/forums, but faster is if you enable the autocomplete feature on your browser (e.g., Firefox). It will attempt to guess the URL you want based on where you've gone before, offering several choices. I type the letter A and up pops the forum. (I also get it when I type U, oddly enough.)

Maryn, helpful sort

scarletpeaches
02-12-2009, 09:25 PM
I don't see anything different. *scratches head*

auntybug
02-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Very nice!! I'm glad the logo is the same. I'd hate to have it eff up all my shirts :D

Medievalist
02-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Very nice!! I'm glad the logo is the same. I'd hate to have it eff up all my shirts :D

We need a high-res version of the logo, so as soon as I beg blackmail convince one of my graphic artist colleagues to copy it in Photoshop at a proper resolution, it will look sharper.

It's actually a bit wonky.

Old Hack
02-13-2009, 12:19 AM
I just LOVE that new design--it's gorgeous. So grown-up and clean! You might want to add a link to Writer Beware in the "resources" page--just a thought. After all, it's not like you've got much else on your hands...!

MacAllister
02-13-2009, 01:00 AM
I just LOVE that new design--it's gorgeous. So grown-up and clean! You might want to add a link to Writer Beware in the "resources" page--just a thought. After all, it's not like you've got much else on your hands...!Heh. We're actually working on that page right now - and Writer Beware is definitely one of the links we're including. :)

Here's a question - all the real-life writing workshops I'm familiar with are primarily SF workshops like Clarion and Viable Paradise. Does anyone have personal experience and glowing personal endorsements for other writing workshops that are oriented towards other genres?

Lyra Jean
02-13-2009, 01:39 AM
The homepage looks spiffy. Is the look of the forum going to change to match the homepage?

Medievalist
02-13-2009, 01:49 AM
The homepage looks spiffy. Is the look of the forum going to change to match the homepage?

Gawd no!

:D

No. It would be way too difficult. Once we upgrade the software that runs the forum, it will look a little different in some places--a very little. There will be some extra options in some places, like the CP where you read PMs.

cray
02-13-2009, 02:04 AM
agreed, the homepage looks great.
nice work, medivalist.

eta: ahem, did you cave in on one of those bribes? look at me!

Williebee
02-13-2009, 02:09 AM
Nice looking front page. But, I've seen photos. Mac ain't no dog.

Greenify13
02-13-2009, 02:20 AM
Oh, I love it! It used to be my homepage but it was ugly so I got rid of it....hmmm maybe I will reinstate it...:D

Birol
02-13-2009, 02:27 AM

That's a coyote. I think it keeps the gophers at bay.

Medievalist
02-13-2009, 03:20 AM

She shore ain't.

That's for Coyote Wild Magazine. In the fullness of time [cough] Mac and I will likely be doing that link a bit differently.

Right now though, I mostly want to get the site usable and Googleable.

Thanks for the information about the Killer Nashville conference; I've linked to it.

Darzian
02-13-2009, 07:50 PM
It's certainly eye catching. Thank you to those of you working so hard to keep the sites running properly! I feel sort of like a leecher.

Medievalist
02-14-2009, 11:17 PM
It's certainly eye catching. Thank you to those of you working so hard to keep the sites running properly! I feel sort of like a leecher.

You're not a leecher. There are lots of ways to help.

You can answer questions and greet Newbies.

You can contribute to Show Your Work or write critiques.

You can keep an eye on the Web site in the next few weeks while I work on it, and let me know when I mess up :D

We really are a community here--and I'm glad you joined us!

Greenify13
02-14-2009, 11:27 PM
If I could do half as well with my corner of cyberspace, as you do here I would feel overly-blessed. You do a beautiful job with the site. I was so glad when I found this place, and especially so when I met its people. This place is like a family! And it helps when it looks so beautiful! :D

Georganna Hancock
02-15-2009, 04:44 AM
Nice! I like the uncluttered, clean appearance. Good going!

bsolah
02-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Hey, how do we get you to add resources?

I'd love to add the Australian Horror Writers Association to the list of organizations. The website is www.australianhorror.com

Medievalist
02-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Hey, how do we get you to add resources?

I'd love to add the Australian Horror Writers Association to the list of organizations. The website is www.australianhorror.com

You need to file a formal request to MacCannister, in triplicate, with a 500 word essay in support of the application. Then we organize a committee to discuss the process to examine the submitted request. Once we have a committee . . .

Go look:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/resources/

Susie
02-16-2009, 01:22 AM
I saw it. Very nice! Calls for :Cake: :D

bsolah
02-16-2009, 02:06 AM
You need to file a formal request to MacCannister, in triplicate, with a 500 word essay in support of the application. Then we organize a committee to discuss the process to examine the submitted request. Once we have a committee . . .

Go look:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/resources/

Woo! Thanks! :D That's made my morning. I need to go brag to the other horror writers.

Goodchild
02-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Wow! The front page is very posh now.

Nicely done.

Clifton Hill
02-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Yep, looks a lot nicer now. Now how about getting the top of the forums page cleaned up a little with a proper heading banner with the title or something? :-)

Medievalist
02-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Yep, looks a lot nicer now. Now how about getting the top of the forums page cleaned up a little with a proper heading banner with the title or something? :-)

We're working on it.

Going to be changing the advertising a bit--Google is a) not paying out, b) advertising some kinda iffy products.

Robin Bayne
03-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Looks sharp!

Pagey's_Girl
03-16-2009, 05:13 AM
We're working on it.

Going to be changing the advertising a bit--Google is a) not paying out, b) advertising some kinda iffy products.

Yeah - does anyone else keep getting that ad with that tagline "We Delete Members Unfit To Date?" Although that might make a great horror prompt...