Should I withdraw my manuscript?

Vimes

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a quandry at the moment and am not sure what to do. I sent my full manuscript to a big agency and spent 4 months working with one of the agents on a new edit of it. Just as I sent in the new, improved version, the agent left! I had had lots of good feedback, and it had been shown to a few others in the agency (I'm assuming to get second opinions) who were making encouraging comments about it. The agency has had the 2nd version for nearly four months and the new agent looking at it hasn't gotten around to reading yet. I've prompted them twice and they've just said they're really busy (I think because the new agent has to take on a new workload, learn the ropes etc) but they promise to read it asap.

Do you think I should withdraw it now and send it elsewhere (in the full knowledge that I may never have anyone ask for the full ever again!)? It's just been so long- 8 months and I'm still no further along as there's been no offer to rep me yet- I guess a decision would have been taken on that when I sent the new edit in if the old agent hadn't left. Also, I'm a bit down about it as there seemed to be some enthusiasm for it, then nada for months... sigh...

What would you do? Move on and try elsewhere?

Thanks... I am useless when it comes to making decisions but this is starting to cause me sleepless nights!

Last edited:

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
No, no need to withdraw the ms. Just leave it with them and hope they will get around to it sometime. Meanwhile, sub like mad elsewhere.

Vimes

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately exclusive...

Hi there,
Wow, that was fast- thanks for replying, qwerty! Sorry, I should have mentioned that the agency wanted the MS on an exclusive basis- they were quite firm about this as they told me by letter and phone they wanted it that way, so I think I'd have to either withdraw it completely or try to wait it out with them.

(Am I right in thinking it would be wrong to send it elsewhere while I've let another agency have it exclusively, or is it standard practice anyway- if I sent it out again without telling them, knowing my luck they'd find out!)

Danthia

If they've had it eight months, and the requesting agent is no longer there, Id say your exclusivity has long expired. Eight months is more than generous. For future reference, it's good to set a time limit on those so this doesn't happen. Three months is the longest I've seen mentioned, and its usually more like 30 days.

Leave the ms. with them, but keep querying. Send them a note explaining that after X time the exclusivity has expired and you will be resuming your querying. Express continued interest in this agency if you still like them, maybe remind them that the requesting agent has left so they know your situation.

I'm sure they're in a bit of chaos right now if they're a man short. They'd have to realize that you've been more than understanding of their predicament here, but it's unreasonable for them to expect you to wait this long with no promises. And yes, they will find out if you send it out again and don't tell them. Publishing is a very small world :)

Where did that agent go? Since he liked your work so much, you might try finding him and querying the new agency.

Exclusives are becoming rarer and rarer these days. A lot of agents say authors should never grant them, as they're unfair to the author. If you do, set a time limit :)

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
Where did that agent go? Since he liked your work so much, you might try finding him and querying the new agency.

Very good suggestion.

And eight months is far too long for a writer to sit back and hope based on an exclusivity agreement. Did you agree on a time that you would let them have your work on an exclusive basis?

My agent asked for two weeks, and came back by phone in six days.

Vimes

Registered
Reaction score
Doh!

Oh no, I am so naive! Thanks so much to qwerty and Danthia- you are absolutely right. I didn't agree on any deadline about the exclusivity- mainly because I was so pleased about all the editorial help I was getting, but also because I didn't think it would drag on for so long. I will definitely take your advice about dropping them a line and saying the exclusivity has expired, but leave it with them- if they aren't happy about this, then I'm no worse off than if I'd just withdrawn it completely... now why didn't I think of that?!

Thanks again to you both- am going to get right on it...

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I would also suggest letting them know that you are starting to query other agencies and go ahead with it. They've been sitting on your work way too long.

Best of luck!! :)

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
Vimes - it's great that you granted them an exclusive look, but it's certainly been a while, and the circumstances have changed. Send them a polite email asking them when they expect to be done with it, and mention that you want to start sending it out to other agents in case they want to pass. Don't make it sound like an ultimatum, but definitely look out for your own interests.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
And in the meantime write another one

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Danthia gave you great advice. I think you should follow it.

Madisonwrites

The Unicorn Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madisonlovestowrite.blogspot.com
Did the agent who requested your mss. retire or what? Seems to me that if he/she was interested in you, the agents clients (and future clients) would move with said agent. I don't know, but is there any way you can find your original agent?

Vimes

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks folks

Thanks everyone for your great advice - I really appreciate it. I sent an email to them, not withdrawing the MS, but just saying I couldn't let them have it exclusively any more. Sent the MS out again and just got another request for the full by a different agent, so fingers crossed!

Thanks!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Thanks everyone for your great advice - I really appreciate it. I sent an email to them, not withdrawing the MS, but just saying I couldn't let them have it exclusively any more. Sent the MS out again and just got another request for the full by a different agent, so fingers crossed!

Thanks!
Yes!