PDA

View Full Version : Brush your teeth before or after breakfast?

Darzian
02-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Which category do you fall into? :D

Sophia
02-11-2009, 02:42 PM
There was a period when I first started university that I did both. :D I was living in student halls and was very self-conscious. So I'd brush before going down to the canteen for breakfast, and then again when I got back to my room and got ready to leave for my classes.

Various "you'll wear all the enamel off your teeth!" type remarks cured me of that. :) Now, it's just after.

Darzian
02-11-2009, 03:12 PM
I hadn't thought of having an option that says 'Both' !

maestrowork
02-11-2009, 04:21 PM
My mom is flabbergasted that I brush my teeth after having breakfast. Oh, and she was dismayed that I showered in the morning instead of before bedtime.

CaroGirl
02-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Wouldn't brushing before breakfast give your toast and eggs an ucky toothpaste taste? The only time I brush before breakfast is when I'm staying at a hotel, otherwise it's always after.

alleycat
02-11-2009, 04:34 PM
I hadn't thought of having an option that says 'Both' !
There's even "in between". Or alternating! ;-)

My "breakfast" at home usually only consists of coffee and a glass of orange juice; then I shower, shave, and brush my teeth; then I drive to work and often stop and pick up something for breakfast (sausage & eggs and a glass of milk). Ever so often I will brush after this, but not generally.

Tepelus
02-11-2009, 04:57 PM
After. What would be the point to brush your teeth before you eat only to fill them with food again? That's my thinking. And, I don't like that toothpasty taste with my food, especially with juices...bleh!

Wayne K
02-11-2009, 05:33 PM
If I may quote David Crosby "If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of my teeth."

Maryn
02-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Who eats breakfast? Not I.

Maryn, who makes up for it later

scarletpeaches
02-11-2009, 05:42 PM
I strongly advise before.

If you brush your teeth after meals, you're brushing enamel softened by acids in food, so over time you're leaving yourself vulnerable to tooth decay.

Darzian
02-11-2009, 06:03 PM
I brush my teeth as soon as I wake up. Breakfast is usually an hour later. I just can't do anything without brushing in the morning.
:Shrug:

cray
02-11-2009, 06:10 PM
If you brush your teeth after meals, you're brushing enamel softened by acids in food, so over time you're leaving yourself vulnerable to tooth decay.

..and you are also brusing away tasty tidbits that you can snack on later.

vixey
02-11-2009, 06:12 PM
After. I can't stand to have food in my teeth.

And I'd like to say Yay!!! :Jump: Cray is back to normal!!

Shadow_Ferret
02-11-2009, 06:17 PM
During.

Darzian
02-11-2009, 06:18 PM
:partyguy: :snoopy: :partyguy: :snoopy: :partyguy: :snoopy: :partyguy: :snoopy:

ETA: Just imagine that this post doesn't exist

Cranky
02-11-2009, 06:31 PM
I always brush my teeth first thing. Yeah, it makes my orange juice taste funny, but that cotton mouth feeling when you wake up is just too nasty for me to ignore. *shrug* Of course, this might be habit from my high school years, when I stopped eating breakfast. Most of the time, I just have coffee and toast or something for breakfast if I eat it at all, so the toothpaste taste isn't really an issue.

Y'all are weird. :D

Shadow_Ferret
02-11-2009, 06:34 PM
I always brush my teeth first thing. Yeah, it makes my orange juice taste funny, but that cotton mouth feeling when you wake up is just too nasty for me to ignore. *shrug* Of course, this might be habit from my high school years, when I stopped eating breakfast. Most of the time, I just have coffee and toast or something for breakfast if I eat it at all, so the toothpaste taste isn't really an issue.

Y'all are weird. :D
Coffee cuts through cotton mouth no problem.

rhymegirl
02-11-2009, 06:34 PM
After. I can't stand to have food in my teeth.

Cray was never normal, was he?

Cranky
02-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Coffee cuts through cotton mouth no problem.

You scare me, Ferret. :D

donroc
02-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Never before drinking alcoholic beverages and eating fine foods.

Susie
02-11-2009, 06:51 PM
After. I love the taste of food lingering in my mouth. It's like a party! :)

scarletpeaches
02-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Please, people. This is one of my bugbears. Just don't brush your teeth after a meal. Have a glass of water instead; much healthier and better for your tooth enamel.

Grrarrgh
02-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Before. I don't usually eat breakfast until after I get to work, so I brush before. I make more friends that way. :D

CaroGirl
02-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Please, people. This is one of my bugbears. Just don't brush your teeth after a meal. Have a glass of water instead; much healthier and better for your tooth enamel.
I've never heard this before. Brush after every meal has always been the mantra of our Dental Association. I'm not clear about how brushing before a meal and then leaving a lot of bits of food between my teeth is preferable to brushing after a meal and sweeping all the food away. I have food traps between my teeth (lots of spaces) and if I go without brushing, my gums can become inflamed if a piece of food is getting all acidy around the gum line.

Wayne K
02-11-2009, 07:38 PM
I like to floss after meals. My grandmother stresses flossing, she's almost a hundred years old and has all of her origional teeth.

scarletpeaches
02-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Dentists over here advise brushing before, and drinking a glass of water after (or maybe even using mouth wash, or flossing).

scarletpeaches
02-11-2009, 07:39 PM
I've never heard this before. Brush after every meal has always been the mantra of our Dental Association. I'm not clear about how brushing before a meal and then leaving a lot of bits of food between my teeth is preferable to brushing after a meal and sweeping all the food away. I have food traps between my teeth (lots of spaces) and if I go without brushing, my gums can become inflamed if a piece of food is getting all acidy around the gum line.

You're not just sweeping all the food away; you're slowly but surely wearing down the enamel.

Like I said, floss or drink a glass of water.

Shadow_Ferret
02-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Dentists over here advise brushing before, and drinking a glass of water after (or maybe even using mouth wash, or flossing).
Should I not mention the stereotype of Brits with bad teeth? :D

scarletpeaches
02-11-2009, 07:42 PM
"Stereotypes" being the operative word, there...

CaroGirl
02-11-2009, 07:43 PM
You're not just sweeping all the food away; you're slowly but surely wearing down the enamel.

Like I said, floss or drink a glass of water.
Okay. But how and why does brushing after a meal wear away the enamel?

Incidentally, my teeths is pretty good. I floss only after popcorn and steak. Not good about the flossing. Could do better.

scarletpeaches
02-11-2009, 07:44 PM
If it's something you do often, when the enamel is slightly softened by the food acids, over time you could end up with patchy teeth.

(I have all my own, since you ask. No fillings, crowns, what have you).

MsK
02-11-2009, 07:47 PM
I brush my teeth way too much... probably 5-6 times a day. I can't stand the taste of coffee, food, etc... lingering in my mouth.
So, both is my answer.

CaroGirl
02-11-2009, 07:47 PM
If it's something you do often, when the enamel is slightly softened by the food acids, over time you could end up with patchy teeth.

(I have all my own, since you ask. No fillings, crowns, what have you).
How is tooth enamel softened by eating food? Isn't crushing up food their job?

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand this hitherto unheard of (by me) phenomenon.

scarletpeaches
02-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Oh, I think it's something you'd have to do after EVERY meal, day after day for quite some time. Crushing food is their job, yes, but I'd imagine using a toothbrush to clean your teeth would be more abrasive than mouthwash or drinking water.

Call me paranoid.;)

CaroGirl
02-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Oh, I think it's something you'd have to do after EVERY meal, day after day for quite some time. Crushing food is their job, yes, but I'd imagine using a toothbrush to clean your teeth would be more abrasive than mouthwash or drinking water.

Call me paranoid.;)
Oh good. As long as I'm not doing any major damage. I brush twice a day and hope that's good enough. I drink lots of water with and after meals that I hope flushes away any nasties.

My teefs is one of my bestest features. :)

scarletpeaches
02-11-2009, 07:56 PM
I has nice teefs too. :D See?

CaroGirl
02-11-2009, 07:57 PM
I has nice teefs too. :D See?
Penguins gots teefs?

scarletpeaches
02-11-2009, 07:58 PM
I are not a penguin in real life. But don't tells no-ones thank you please.

Darzian
02-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Someone voted "Why brush"

:eek:

P.H.Delarran
02-11-2009, 08:50 PM
always brush first thing upon waking and then fairly soon after most meals, and right before bed.

sassandgroove
02-11-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm with Cranky. My mouth tastes gross when I wake up in the morning. I brush first thing. By the time I eat, the toothpaste taste is gone anyway. I get my husband off to work weekdays and weekends I linger some before I make breakfast.

selkn.asrai
02-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Brushing before? No way. Bad tastes.

I'll never forget, when I was in preschool they came and did this lecture on teeth-brushing. So I started brushing my teeth religiously multiple times a day. One day right after I brushed my teeth, I had strawberries... *wince*

Never brushed until AFTER food after that mistake (unless it's one of those mornings in which my mouth tastes disgusting for some reason--don't you hate that?) I'm still a little OCD with brushing, though. I have to brush every time I go out, as well as morning and night.

scarletpeaches
02-11-2009, 08:58 PM
I brush twice a day. First thing in the morning and last thing at night. Certainly never after meals. If my mouth gets a bit foosty I floss, then rinse with water.

sassandgroove
02-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Gee Scarlet, you've got lots of thoughts on teeth brushing.

;)

I chew gum during the day. I've been thinking of bringing tooth brush to work to brush mid day, which would bring my total to three times a day.

semilargeintestine
02-11-2009, 09:09 PM
I brush in the morning after I eat and right before I go to bed. When I moved here, all my dentists told me to brush after meals. I've had less problems, so I guess it works for me.

Wayne K
02-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Someone voted "Why brush"

:eek:

I'm a non conformist and an anti dentite.

semilargeintestine
02-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Next you'll be saying they should have their own schools.

maestrowork
02-11-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm a non conformist and an anti dentite.

That was Ferret. Everyone knows Ferrets don't brush. They lick their butts.

TerzaRima
02-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Before AND after, here.

/minty fresh

Shadow_Ferret
02-11-2009, 10:12 PM
I didn't vote. My answer was "During" but that wasn't an option.
Smartass.

maestrowork
02-11-2009, 10:23 PM

I've been brushing after breakfast (and before bedtime) since forever and I have great teeth.

:)

scarletpeaches
02-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Gee Scarlet, you've got lots of thoughts on teeth brushing.

;)

I chew gum during the day. I've been thinking of bringing tooth brush to work to brush mid day, which would bring my total to three times a day.

I've got lots of thoughts on everything. Some of 'em even make sense. ;)

Explains the cotton mouth...

sassandgroove
02-11-2009, 11:49 PM
So what are your thoughts on tooth picks, SP?

scarletpeaches
02-11-2009, 11:49 PM
I have never used one. I should probably study them closely before handing down a final verdict.

sassandgroove
02-11-2009, 11:50 PM
:ROFL: Yeah, probably.

CaroGirl
02-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Just be careful. Toothpicks can be sharp.