Anyone Been to a Christian Writers' Conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Been to a Christian Writers' Conference? Was it worth the time and money? Did you learn anything? Have succesful networking? Was it a nice retreat? I am considering asking for one or two days at a Conference as a birthday gift from my husband (not just the fees, but him having to watch the baby the whole time!--a get away). But I'm not sure if its worth it. I'd love to hear input. I am specifically looking at the Greater Philadelphia Christian Writers Conference to be held in August, since it is within 3-4 hours driving distance of me. I don't know much about it, however. Input is appreciated.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Skylar,

I just got back from the Colorado Christian Writers Conference, and yes, it is worth every penny! It is run by the same person who runs the Greater Philly one. I made contacts there last year and this year that have been key ones...and would've been impossible to do as an unagented author otherwise. One big hint, sign up EARLY. First registered, first to pick editors/agents/authors to meet with. I was the #1 registrant both years, and got my pick--which is why my book is now with a publisher, and my devotionals and maybe some more poems will be published. Also, the classes and workshops were very informative, and it was just so inspiring being around other writers.
I've got to go pick up my daughter from school, but PM me if you want more info about this conference.

Last edited:

DrRita

Act One '08
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ritabetti.com
Skylar,

Yes, I'm with Pat on this one. I've been to several and have contributed publication to the contacts I've made. I would recommend it not only for the networking and publishers but for the fellowship and inspiration.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, and the fabulous worship times sprinkled throughout the day. If you get a chance to hear Marty Goetz in concert, go...you'll be glad you did!

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Thanks so much for the response! Now I just have to see if my husband can get the time off to watch the little one while I go. I won't get to be an early registrant, unfortunately, because he won't get an answer far enough in advance, but maybe I'll have some luck with editors/publishers anyway. And, if not, I really need my first weekend "away" to rejuvinate my creative juices.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I'm headed for the American Christian Writers' Conf in Bflo June 10-11. I'll let you know how it goes.

Same reasons: 15 mins from my house; thus I could afford the fees bcos. no hotel/airfare!

My wish list: Glorieta and Sandy Cove.

Hey, a gal can dream...

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My wish list; Glorieta, and maybe Mt. Hermon? Luckily Glorieta's close (and we have frequent flyer miles); Glorieta's workshops sound really good (poetry writing, etc.) and they have a great variety of editors/agents lined up.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
pb10220 said:
My wish list; Glorieta, and maybe Mt. Hermon? Luckily Glorieta's close (and we have frequent flyer miles); Glorieta's workshops sound really good (poetry writing, etc.) and they have a great variety of editors/agents lined up.

Glorieta is great! This will be my sixth year in a row there, and also will be my first time teaching a couple of the Footnotes workshops. If you can make it, it's worth it.

John

PS Plus the agency my agent works for, Hartline, will be represented there.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For Skylarburris

Skylar,

I tried to answer your PM, but your mailbox is full...but I'll try again in a little while :) .

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be going to one in Aurora in Oct., but my wish list is Sandy Cove. I attend a local one (a one-day deal) in Sept. each year, too, and have made some great contacts there. I also taught a workshop there last year and will be teaching a new one this year, "Three Stars or Four: Restaurant and Book Reviewing". (I didn't name it...)

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Betty W01 said:
I'll be going to one in Aurora in Oct., but my wish list is Sandy Cove. I attend a local one (a one-day deal) in Sept. each year, too, and have made some great contacts there. I also taught a workshop there last year and will be teaching a new one this year, "Three Stars or Four: Restaurant and Book Reviewing". (I didn't name it...)

Um yum. Now there's a genre my husband would love for me to pursue. He's quite a gourmet; (I'm basically satisfied with anything that ends hunger pangs). We could go out to eat, he could critique the food, and I could translate it into readable prose!

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
I'm planning to go to the Greater Philly one for two days. It is a 3 hour drive, so I will be getting a hotel. I'll get their Thursday afternoon and have a little quiet time to write and then go to the conference Friday and Saturday and drive back Saturday evening. It will be my first time away from my daughter overnight, so I'm a little nervous...but I need the retreat.

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
I'm fairly new to this list but I've been writing for some time. I've both been to, and taught at a number of Christian Writers' conferences and a few years back I decided to put a conference together for the New York / New Jersey area. This year I'll be heading off to Glorieta, Albequerque, NM (Oct 26-30). I am also the director of the A Reason to Write Conference (Oct 8, 2005 & May 13, 2006) in Ringwood, NJ and I'll be teaching at that conference.

There are three basic reasons for attending a writers' conference. The first is find a publisher or agent, the second is to network and make general contacts and the third is to learn. Anyone who attends a conference with only the first two in mind is missing out on one of the best parts of conferencing.

While teaching at a conference in Richmond, Virginia I chated with Cecil "Cec" Murphy (author of over 100 books and one of the best paid ghost writers and conference speakers in the business). He told me that he reads at least one book about writing each month. :idea: If this prolific author and renowned speaker and teacher feels he needs to continue honing his craft and learning from other writers I figured it certainly couldn't hurt me any to attend a few conferences as funds become available.

Have to add this one little note. LOVE the smiley guy with the coffee!! Right up my caffine inspired alley :Coffee: .

Status
Not open for further replies.