Needed to share this (sweet story)

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
So as some of you know, I recently moved to Israel. I've been here five months and have been working in a public school part time, teaching English.

I had been warned that Israeli kids can be really horrible and hard to deal with, but I've worked hard to win the trust of my students.

Anyway, some of them managed to find out that yesterday was by birthday (I knew there was a reason one of them wanted to friend me on facebook even though I have virtually no personal info there -- I had an account for professional reasons last year and it is basically empty, except for my most basic stuff, like name and what city I live in, so I didn't think twice when she asked -- well I did, for about a week, but I eventually decided there was no harm in clicking confirm.).

Yesterday, the girl who had friended me on facebook came to the classroom of the other class I was teaching to find me because she wanted to make sure I got into class right away. I already knew something was up, but I never would have imagined what they'd done.

They decorated the entire room with balloons and streamers and confetti and gathered to surprise me with a cake. On the board they'd written 'happy birthday' and 'we love you.'

But the thing that really had me close to tears and makes me tear up thinking about it even now is the gift they bought me. Mind you, I didn't ask for or expect anything and didn't tell them when my b-day was. I just confirmed it when one of them asked.

When they said they'd bought me something, I never imagined how much thought they'd put into it. They bought me one of those clocks which has smaller faces on the inside, one for London and the other for New York. Since they know I'm originally from New York, they really wanted to get something that was appropriate for that and would make me feel like I was home while still also having a reminder of my old home. I was so touched when I saw that clock and still can't believe how incredibly kind and sweet those kids were.

Anyway, like I said, I didn't want or ask for anything and was thoroughly surprised by the affection from my students. One of them even asked me during the party if I have family here. When I said no, he said, "well we're your family."

I've been considering writing something about it for the Jerusalem Post just because I want to publicly thank them for such an amazing gesture. It's not often that a teacher gets recognition from his students like this, and I was really moved by the whole experience.

Anyhow, I just needed to share that publicly. . .and say thank you to them from the bottom of my heart if any of them happen to see this (I did tell them about AW since we're working in class on writing short stories, so theoretically some of them may have dropped by).

Eric

Last edited:

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
How wonderful!

It's amazing how students will respond to a teacher they like and respect. They can be completely different with one teacher to the next... which I think says more about the teacher than the students. =)

You done good.

(But I may be biased, I get all the "horrible, difficult trouble-makers" at the alt high school.)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
That's a terrific story. A few times in our lives, if we're lucky, we get to have an sweet moment like that to share. Thank you for doing it.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I needed to hear a story like that today. That is a beautiful story, and I'm glad you shared it with us!

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Some teachers demand respect, it's obvious you earned it. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your inspirational story.

I guess you don't need two clocks that tell time in London and New York, so I'll keep the one I got for you and simply wish you a belated Happy Birthday.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That was so nice of them. And

5-3.gif
2-1.gif

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eric, I do hope you'll write it up for publication. The kids truly deserve to feel proud of themselves in front of their whole community, you know?

Maryn, warm and fuzzy

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Well, they got you the clock, so I'll get you the cake:

MickeyMouse.gif

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Thank you for sharing it with us, Eric. What an awesome feeling that must have been! Are these high school students?

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing it with us, Eric. What an awesome feeling that must have been! Are these high school students?

8th grade. I suppose that makes all the nicer considering that people say Junior High School is the hardest age to teach.

Eric