Cincinnati writers group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Though there are a couple of writing groups in the area, they are either way over on the west side or they meet on Thursday nights when my oldest has Cub Scouts. Anyone interested in forming a writing group anywhere, but on the west side???/

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
For the most part, only Thursdays are not good for me. I would have to meet in the evening after hubby gets home to take over. How about you?

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I attended one writers group once at Joseph Beth in Hyde Park, but there were ten or fifteen people in that one. It was too large and ungainly to be positive experience, I mean, after having to listen to everyone read fifteen minute excerpts of their works, I about went out of my mind.

There was one at a library in Anderson. As long as you support self publishing, that one was great.

I'd be willing to meet at a writers group in central Cincinnati sometime, the more south the better. (I mean, not the Mason area.)

wordnick

Registered
Reaction score
So. . .um, Cincinnati writer folk who are partial to an East side meetup: Did you ever get together? Are you still getting together? Can I come? Can I? Can I? I'm new to the area and am really hoping to find a nice little writer's group. I did the Joseph Beth circuit and am with you, underthecity--proximity to coffee was nice, but overall there was too much reading, too little critiquing. Obviously I'm new to this site, too (well, as a poster, not a reader), but please don't let my barren profile or conspicuously absent sig lines deter you--I'm relatively normal, I promise.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bummer. I lived in Cincinnati until about six months ago. Oh well. :)

I'm pretty sure there's a group of children's lit writers that meet at the Newport library.

All right, so that's in northern Kentucky, but it's the very first exit across the Big Mac bridge. Close enough. :)

:)Smish

wordnick

Registered
Reaction score
What is it with everyone trying to get me to go to a different state to meet my basic needs?! Actually, we did venture over the bridge last weekend, so I can appreciate the hop-skip-and-a-jumpness of it better now. Thanks for the tip. I'm mostly a narrative non-fiction, fiction and poetry kind of writer, though I do have a picture book languishing on several agents' desks throughout Manhattan. Maybe after the last of them has rejected my manuscript I'll get myself over to that children's lit group!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
wordnick, can I suggest something I've seen work? Get a list of all the AW people who live in the area (check the thread where members are listed by location, too). Pick an easy-to-reach, easy-to-find, easy-to-park venue that's relatively central and does not serve alcohol (which excludes young members and could be off-putting to others). Coffee houses, bookstores, and libraries work. Pick a time most people tend to be free, probably an evening or a weekend. Send a message to each of them several weeks in advance announcing a get-acquainted meet-up to explore the possibility of a Cincinnati AW group.

At worst, you'll be the only attendee. But who knows, maybe it'll be a nice group.

Maryn, who knows a couple of AW Cincinnati folks

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What is it with everyone trying to get me to go to a different state to meet my basic needs?! Actually, we did venture over the bridge last weekend, so I can appreciate the hop-skip-and-a-jumpness of it better now. Thanks for the tip. I'm mostly a narrative non-fiction, fiction and poetry kind of writer, though I do have a picture book languishing on several agents' desks throughout Manhattan. Maybe after the last of them has rejected my manuscript I'll get myself over to that children's lit group!

Seriously? It's not like it's a far trip across the bridge! I lived on the Kentucky side of the river and walked to my office in downtown Cincinnati every day (okay, if it was raining or snowing, I'd take the bus or drive) in about fifteen minutes. And I had a great condo with a view of the city...

Cross the bridge more often. It's a river, not an ocean...

wordnick

Registered
Reaction score
It's totally a psychological thing (perhaps not unrelated to my sub-par geography skills). Now that I know how close it is, I'm less astounded by the fact that several of the moms I asked for pediatrician recommendations referred me to a practice in Kentucky. It's only been two weeks, but I'm learning quickly. For instance, Who Dat has something to do with sports, as does the color orange, as I unwittingly discovered when wearing my favorite fuzzy orange hoody last Sunday. The Bangles? Love 'em.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's totally a psychological thing (perhaps not unrelated to my sub-par geography skills). Now that I know how close it is, I'm less astounded by the fact that several of the moms I asked for pediatrician recommendations referred me to a practice in Kentucky. It's only been two weeks, but I'm learning quickly. For instance, Who Dat has something to do with sports, as does the color orange, as I unwittingly discovered when wearing my favorite fuzzy orange hoody last Sunday. The Bangles? Love 'em.

So, you're new to Cincinnati, I take it? It's a nice mid-sized city, and northern Kentucky is really just an extension of the city (with lots of great restaurants, arts districts, etc., particularly in Covington and Newport). I lived there for five years, and liked it a lot. Seriously, check out both sides of the river. :)

Two things you need to know right away, though, since football is a big deal there (even in years when the team is not winning...): 1) Bengals, not Bangles. 2) Who Dey, not Who Dat.

Lol.

wordnick

Registered
Reaction score
Two things you need to know right away, though, since football is a big deal there (even in years when the team is not winning...): 1) Bengals, not Bangles. 2) Who Dey, not Who Dat.

Lol.

Two cities for the price of one--that works.

Thanks for the primer. While I was poking a little fun with the Bangles/Bengals reference, you've saved me from potential humiliation with the Who Dat. Who Dey. Got it!

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Wordnick, we'd be thrilled to have you!! Right now, we have a core membership of two! A few folks keep saying they're coming, but they don't show up. I will PM UndertheCity again to see if he's still interested. We've been meeting at Panera in Kenwood, but we can change that. How is the first Wednesday of the month at 7 p.m.?

wordnick

Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful! I'd love to join you guys. How far is Kenwood from Oakley?

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
5.9 miles or 11 minutes, according to Mapquest. You would think I would know these things after five years in this area, but Cincinnati is so full of "neighborhoods" that I feel like I'm always lost.
I'll PM you the info and my contact info.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love a happy ending.

Maryn, not in the massage business

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I got the PM, thanks, I just haven't responded yet.

I'd like to attend the Monday night meeting, but not until November. You see, I have an old car that I like to take to a cruise-in on Monday nights. It's a small vice, but it's fun and it ends in October. After that, my Monday nights will be free.

. . . and northern Kentucky is really just an extension of the city (with lots of great restaurants, arts districts, etc., particularly in Covington and Newport). I lived there for five years, and liked it a lot. Seriously, check out both sides of the river. :)

Smish, I take it you live in Covington, since you said you cross the bridge to work downtown. I live in Latonia myself, and write about Cincinnati topics. Hope you've seen my books in the bookstores.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Totally understandable!
We are meeting on Wednesday nights now though because of scheduling conflicts with the new school year. Are you free on Wednesdays? If not, maybe we can settle on a different night. Right now, the next meeting would be Nov. 4. I think I put my email in the PM. Just email me when you get a chance and I'll make sure you get reminders.
Maryn, You're adorable.
Smish, great advice!

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Allen, we had to switch the meeting to Weds., Nov. 11. I'll PM you with the info as well. Do you think you can make it?

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I plan to attend; Wednesdays are usually good for me. Are we still talking 7pm? That's gonna be weird. I'll be working for a friend of mine who lives in Kenwood that day. So, I'll be making two trips to and from Kenwood that day.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Great! That'll make five of us. That should be a good number.
It's still 7 p.m.
Dee (Melia) and I both have photos on our Web sites, though mine was take four years, a set of twins and ten pounds ago. I usually have a yellow folder with me. I'll make sure that's on the table so you will spot us.

Status
Not open for further replies.