What animal-related writing are you working on?

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Hi everybody,

What's everyone working on? I have an article and photos on cockatoos due June 10, just finished up a story (along with pics) on nutritional supplements for small birds, and turned in a really fun little piece on alternative housing for guinea pigs! Oh, and I'm researching my next parrot book. Fun and challenging because it's a type of parrot I'm not all that familiar with.

Looking forward to hearing about what you're writing!

~ Anne

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
ASU Magazine

Hi Anne -

While this isn't going to be in an animal market, I'm doing a profile for the ASU Magazine (alumni mag for Arizona State U - where Zach/trumancoyote goes coincidentally) about an alumna who's a syndicated cartoonist who has illustrated the Max and Annie kids' books about dogs (Animal Planet runs the movie, Miracle Dogs, which is based on the two dogs and the dogs star in it), and does ALL the artwork for Rescue Village - part of the Geauga Humane Society here in NE Ohio. She's an amazing person. OH! Also - she did the illustration on Ohio's newest special license plate - money from the purchase price goes to a pet adoption organization. She was also a journalist for the OC Register in CA for many years.

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Wow, Jill, that's awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and it doesn't have to be for an animal market, I just wondered if anyone was working on anything that involved animals in any way. :)

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
Last week I submitted an article on how to turn photos of pets into life-long keepsakes. This weekend I need to write an article about scrapbooking pictures of dogs. I've also been contracted to do a piece on the World Center for Birds of Prey and to write an article that showcases Boise as a dog-friendly city. I'm also working up some queries on the pros and cons of homemade dog food.

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Those sound great, Rose! The keepsake article sounds like something you could also rework/reslant into other pieces. Oh, and maybe I'll get to read the scrapbooking one. Is that for DogNose News?

Thanks for sharing. :)

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, the scrapbooking article is for Dog Nose News, and should be fun to write!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have some encyclopedia articles to write -- animals and music, cattle mutilation theories and... can't even remember the 3rd one.

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Oooh, cattle mutilation theories. That sounds, um, different! What encyclopedia are these for?

(Learned how to spell 'encyclopedia' from a Jiminy Cricket educational cartoon thingie in the sixties. :D )

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It is for the Encyclopedia of the Human-Animal Bond edited by Mark Beckoff--which I may have spelled incorrectly. I really must get on with it...

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
OFF TOPIC!!

Veinglory, do you do a lot of academic writing? I've written many articles for the Salem Press, but would like to land work with other clients, too. Any advice? If yes, I'll start a new thread....

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Frankly I'm not sure I would recommend it, a nice clip but non-paying. They put out quite a few encyclopedias and I can let you know when the next one comes through although it may not be for a while. They are quite quick to write and I treat it as a bit of fun and one for the album...