Inside the police station

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields
Hi there,

Is there anyone willing to give me a day in the life of a patrol officer? I can get a storyline from watching COPS. The things they encounter, what kind of people they meet, etc. etc. If I could get someone to tell me what goes on inside the station, once they get there, I would appreciate it. What time they get there in the morning. What happens before they go out. What happens when they come back. Those sort of details.

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
Less than a third of the working ofc get there in the morning. In most depts, the largest staffing is on swings and mids also has decent staffing--if you're talking about a city, not a small town. Patrol ofc do not spend much time in the station. Arrive, get briefed, go out and shag calls. In a city, in busy areas, calls are stacked up and handled by priority, the ofc is not just driving up and down streets. There's a bit of time between calls when the pursue held-over, small inv, do traffic stops, FIs, etc, but just not in the sta much. Reasons to come in are bringing in someone for a det, quick meeting, more controlled interview than can be done in field, more processing than can be done in field. Arrestees are taken to jail or magistrate, not the sta. Near the end of shift, the ofc comes in and writes reports like a demon.

In the squad room, we eat out of vending machines and BS while writing those reports. Maybe go next door to briefing to tell the next shift something.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Mostly the same as what Horseshoes wrote. You're married to your radio, if it's busy you clear one call and are assigned another. We used to try to write our reports in the field, then we'd call them in to a recording device. we had keyboard operators enter the reports directly into the computer system. It saved a lot of writing.
If you worked Patrol, you rarely had time to patrol, you answered calls for service all night. If it slowed down, you'd try to get a cup of coffee or just relax for a few minutes. If it was a slow night, we'd do traffic stops or field interrogations.
Detectives, on the other hand, worked cases, They would write up their reports in the station. They would get called to the scene of a serious crime, but otherwise they worked at their own pace, interviewing people, etc.
We had one headquarters building. Our jail was in the same building. If we made an arrest, we'd be in there for over an hour doing the paperwork, but that was the only reason for being in the station, unless you worked inside.