• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Newbie asks nicely for beta readers for fantasy story

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephanieWeippert

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I've been lurking on AbsoluteWrite for a little while, mostly reading the advice posts and following links to Helpful Articles (tm). :)
I have finally finished a novel length work 54,000 words and all the books and info I've gotten my hands on say I need readers to give me feedback and opinions.

So, I'm gathering up my courage and asking nicely for a beta reader or two who would like to read sections of my work and give me their opinion: fantasy genre, wizard and familiar.

To re-assure you if interested, I have a grammer nazi or two who have gone over it already, and I feel I can take Simon like criticism, just no personal insults please.
:D

The first 97 words for reference:
“What to do? What to do?” My wizard asked while pacing up and down. I, being more sensible, as felines are wont to be, sat comfortably on the chest of drawers and watched him
“I don’t know how I’m going to go through with this, Felicity. I really don’t.”
“You’ve gone over the positives and negatives extensively before agreeing.” I reminded him. “Don’t you remember?”
He stopped, looking impatient. “Yes. Yes I did.” He collapsed into the overstuffed chair near the foot of his bed. “I’m just having second thoughts about actually having such a close relationship.”

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Steph! Can I suggest that you post your first chapter (or so) on our Share Your Work forum to get feedback? I think you will find it very helpful, and you might get more immediate feedback on your writing that can help with your whole story. For instance, I'm not knocking your grammar nazis, but there are at least two major grammatical errors in your 97 words. If you post on SYW I'd be glad to give you a crit :)

Kazel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.LogicallyCrazy.com
I second the suggestion to post on SYW. I may be willing to beta the story for you, but I want to see a bit more first to see if I am interested, and if you post on SYW, then I can take a look at it and, as a bonus, other people can give you their opinions as well.

PM if you decide to post :)

StephanieWeippert

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. I'll go looking for the Share Your Work forum. I appreciate the patience in telling me something obvious I missed. :) Next, to find that forum...

StephanieWeippert

Registered
Reaction score
I second the suggestion to post on SYW. I may be willing to beta the story for you, but I want to see a bit more first to see if I am interested, and if you post on SYW, then I can take a look at it and, as a bonus, other people can give you their opinions as well.

PM if you decide to post :)
Hi! Thank you for the help. I have posted in the Share Your Work forum and tried to send you a message but it told me your profile was set to private. Being new, it's possible I'm being clueless and PM doesn't mean what I think it does, but I think you asked me to tell you and it didn't work.
Please let me know if you are interested in reading the full story.

Status
Not open for further replies.