I have to rant about this because I love men

Reaction score
I really do.

They get a bad rap.

I was pootling about in my local branch library looking for some new books and while I was shelf-surfing I heard the library staff chatting away. No, I wasn't eavesdropping; it's just that no-one knows how to talk quietly these days.

They were all complaining about their men. One in particular was seriously annoyed that her boyfriend had just got back from an overseas trip and a) hadn't brought back a present for their son (despite border controls and rules on importing stuff) and b) didn't want to do any family stuff as soon as he got back; he wanted to go upstairs to bed and sleep. Considering he'd just returned from Eastern Europe, I don't see the problem. Slightly different time zone, long flight...what's her problem?

So they all dogpiled, started whinging about how awful their boyfriends/husbands were. (Uh, what does it say about your character judgement that you chose him, love)? One got annoyed at her husband sitting in his computer chair for six hours on Saturday playing games. She apparently got so angry she burst into tears because he wouldn't even come out for a walk with her, or down the pub, or even help her with the shopping, the fiend!

My view on this is - if a man's been working full time all week and he comes home to a raging nag, that'll achieve nothing. Saturday was his down-time for goodness' sake. The wife complained he did nothing around the house, but did she ask him? And I mean ask, not nag. My impression was she just huffed, tutted, nagged and cried. If you want a man - anyone - to do something, you have to let them know. Speak up. Ask. No-one is a mind-reader.

And tell me this - why should a man who's been working full-time all week have to put up with being whinged at as soon as he comes home? What's wrong with playing computer games and doing nothing all weekend? Why should he have to go out for a walk or to a dinner party with people he doesn't even like or scrub the toilet? If his wife works part-time, what's to stop her cleaning the bathroom when she gets in if it's that important? It's only fair, to me. She works p/t, he works f/t...so he has less chance to take care of things at home. And it doesn't take away from her down-time. No-one's saying she can't play video games too, or go for a walk.

I bet she never even asked him. The way she spoke, it was, "What time did you get up today while I was working? Are you going to help me with the shopping? Have you been playing on the computer all day?"

Call me old-fashioned, but my way of playing it would be to simply say, "Could you help me with the shopping, please? I'll be leaving in around half an hour and I'd appreciate an extra pair of hands for the bags; that way it'll get done a lot quicker." No nagging. You state your case and why you're asking. Job done.

I tried not to hear what they were saying because it was grossly disrespectful to their husbands and boyfriends. I really don't like to hear it. Continued my shelf surfing. Another librarian was shelving books near me and she rolled her eyes and I heard her murmur, "See, I can't complain. I'm married to a great man."

I smiled and said, "Even if you weren't, then - you'd do something about it or leave, wouldn't you?" She nodded and I continued. "I mean, what's the point of moaning about it? Do something or get out. Otherwise you sound like a nag." That's one of my greatest fears in a relationship. Turning into a nag.

Me and the librarian (I know her name but won't say for the sake of her own privacy) chatted about relationships for five minutes, putting the world to rights. She said her son got married last year and she loves the fact she's got time with her husband now the kids have all left home. Too many marriage partners look at each other and think, "I don't know you any more," because they've spent decades wrapped up in the kids rather than working on their partnership but not her. She loves it, she loves her husband and she loves their marriage.

Not that I'm saying it's perfect, but I'd guess she's the type of person who, were she to have a gripe with her husband - would go to her husband, not cackle to her workmates over a mug of coffee in the staffroom.

I really, really don't get that sort of attitude. Too many women try to score my-man's-a-bastard points off each other and it's doesn't make them look like martyrs. It makes them look like harpies. One even said, "I do all the cooking. I do all the cleaning. And what thanks do I get? He does nothing."

What do you want? A medal? And why should your man do anything if you already do it all? He probably thinks you get off on being a martyr, then boasting about how hardworking you are with the girls back at the library.

Do women seriously think bitching to other people will turn their husband into the perfect man? Have they never thought of looking at themselves and wondering what they're doing to perpetuate a situation they're so unhappy with?

So on behalf of all nagging women out there, I'd like to apologise to the opposite sex. Sorry that there are so many harpies out there who treat you like incompetents or children. Sorry they don't appreciate what you do rather than keeping a tally of what you don't.

I know there are men out there who are bad 'uns. And there are many good women. I'm not directing my words at those sorts of people. No, I'm talking about women who think that by telling a man how useless he is (or telling their workmates) he'll be inspired to change into their idea of Mr Perfect.

Gah! You keep telling someone (and your work colleagues) how useless they are, why should they make an effort to impress you?

/rant off.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Since no man in my life....will run off and find new ways, (there were no old ways....) to use the word...pootling. (Love it.)

Reaction score
I frequently pootle. As a single woman, I find it occupies my time quite nicely. :D

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pootling matches your av. I can see your ovalness pootling between rows and rows of books.

I have nothing to add, other than I'm sick of the whinage crap myself. Save me.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
There are such easy ways to get a guy to do stuff if you need him to.

A gentle 'If you mow the lawn now, you'll get more beer time at the pub' or 'If I can have a rest while you cook, I'll have more energy later ^^' generally does the trick I find :D

Either that or LEAVE THE BLOODY RADIATOR I BOUGHT SIX MONTHS AGO IN HIS WAY SO HE FALLS OVER IT AND MAYBE, YOU KNOW, INSTALLS THE THING!!! *cough*

Sorry - he was watching what I was typing, and I'm subtle like that.

My man ain't perfect by a long shot. But he's got the best bits down pat, so I don't sweat the small stuff.

Although heating in the bedroom would be quite nice this time of year.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The funny thing is, most people don't start out as nags. They "fall in love" and they tolerate each other (or at least, love is blind). It's only after they've been together for some time when the nagging begins, as if the other person has changed. No they haven't. It's just that they start to see the "bad" stuff and decide they won't tolerate them anymore. Also, it shows me that these people (men and women alike) are insecure about themselves and their relationships. It's a bad cycle.

Reaction score
Yeah. I agree. Plus, I don't think relationships ought to be hard work. Not that any marriage is perfect, oh no, but...let's go into it with a realistic view of each other. That way when the honeymoon period's over, the disillusionment won't be so jarring! :D

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
In a way I don't believe in marriage because I feel that marriage changes everything. Suddenly the expectations become high and the rules change. As if there were a switch somewhere. We were happy just the way things were before, but suddenly we're not happy now because new expectations aren't being met -- the husband or wife didn't change for the better to suit this new role as a husband or wife. This kind of stuff is why the divorce rate in this country is close to 50%.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My experience (the bad one) comes from the initial hope that one partner can make major changes in the other partner. All is well early on, but as time goes on and the results of the hoped-for change are not panning out as expected, frustration and impatience sets in. That's when a relationship goes one of two ways (may be more). If two people get together and have the attitude "he's (or she's) perfect in every way except this one, but I'll have that tended to in short order" the union will probably find some chuckholes, and may even deteriorate over that issue.

Any woman who thinks a man can be trained (or reverse the genders) may want to consider the impact of the training methods to determine if it is worth it in the long run.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
In a way I don't believe in marriage because I feel that marriage changes everything. Suddenly the expectations become high and the rules change. As if there were a switch somewhere. This kind of stuff is why the divorce rate in this country is close to 50%.

Marriage changes nothing really

If you had a crap relationship before, you still will after. Made no difference to me and the Old Manl ( the only reason we got married was so the kids could have the same name tbh) It was a good excuse for a party lol, and it didn't change our relationship AT ALL. We waited for the kids for that....:D

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
At the other end of the spectrum, me and my other half get on just great, she doesn't nag, I offer to do stuff and go shopping with her when she wants me to, everything works out fine. Just thought I'd offer another voice to drown out the bleating.

-Derek

Reaction score
I know so many women who marry boyfriends they're not happy with. You ask why. They say, "But I love him." WHY??? Or, "We'll be all right. He'll change."

Uh...yeah. Good luck with that, sister. Why would he change if he's already got you where he wants you? :D

Glad to know I'm not entirely alone in this. I thought I was terribly old-fashioned in my views on certain things; I even had a bunch of friends burst out laughing at me once because I said something like "I'd want to marry a man who was my best friend."

Hell, it doesn't really matter if no women think that way; I just have to find the one Australian man who agrees with me. *coughThorpeycough*

Reaction score
At the other end of the spectrum, me and my other half get on just great, she doesn't nag, I offer to do stuff and go shopping with her when she wants me to, everything works out fine. Just thought I'd offer another voice to drown out the bleating.

-Derek

And I hope Mrs dpaterso tolerates your dressing up as Darth Vader.

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone and everything changes over time. The trick is to expect the changes to come, whatever they may be, and choose to see the best in your partner anyway.

:)

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I agree. Plus, I don't think relationships ought to be hard work.

I've always said that being in a relationship is about FINDING the right person, not BEING the right person. Not that you shouldn't strive to be a good person, but you should strive to be a better person for YOU and YOU alone, not for anybody else.

But that being said, you're right. Relationships SHOULDN'T be hard work. When I hear all these people say "relationships take work," I think to myself "why?"

Granted, there are certain things you should do to work toward the relationship together, but I would call those things "maintenance." A relationship takes maintenance. Go on regular dates together, don't forget to appreciate each other once in a while, etc. And yes, there will be fights and struggles, but take them as they come.

But work? WORK? Why on earth would you stay in a relationship that feels like work? If you have to fight everyday to stay in a relationship and it seems like nothing ever changes, have you ever considered that you are with the WRONG PERSON? The perhaps a long term relationship ISN'T this grueling mind-boggling pain that everybody tries to perpetuate it to be?

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the other side of it is that people will be willing to change out of their love for their partner. And it can be done without either person losing his/her individual identity, they just add on a "we" identity.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
And I hope Mrs dpaterso tolerates your dressing up as Darth Vader.
Eh, actually I'm Princess Leia. My other half wears the shiny helmet and cloak. Hey, don't knock it till you try it.

-Derek

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Thanks, Peaches. I've met too many women like that in life... I was raised by them

Mom, aunt, grandma, grandaunt and great-grandma smoking and complaining about men... what childhood memories! Grandma is the worst, I love her but she assumes one is psychic and nobody works more than her. Mom works 9 to 5 and has to take care of a 4 years old girl and grandma thinks that's easy and nags her for not visit her that day or if she visits her (which is most of the days) why didn't she bought her her meds (and if mom boughts her meds, she doesn't even say thanks)

Though the other side can be guilty at times, I've seen dad, grandpa, granduncles and regular kind of uncles drinking and complaining about women.

I hope that me or my wife, when I get marry if I marry if some good woman loves me, never fall in these rites.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
SP, I'd ask for your hand in marriage, but I don't look anything like Farrell. But I do have a better voice than George Clooney, if that matters. :D