PDA

View Full Version : Hobbies, do you have any?

brainstorm77
02-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Curious to know what hobbies do you indulge in? Two that I love are quilting and photography. Writing use to be one but has since become more serious for me.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/jackie6977/2822.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/jackie6977/100_0248.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/jackie6977/100_0540-1.jpg

alleycat
02-08-2009, 10:57 PM
About the only read hobby I have is collecting ancient coins (and sometimes American coins). I used to garden a bit, bit I didn't really think of it as a hobby.

My mother liked to sew and quilt. She used to make at least one quilt a year until arthritis affected her fingers so much. Another one of her favorite things, and one that was a BIG HIT with the little girls in the neighborhood, was making doll clothes for Barbie or other dolls. She would come up with her own design and use the leftover material from one of the dresses she made for herself or others. She made some real cute ones out of red velvet one time.

underthecity
02-08-2009, 11:08 PM
I collect 78RPM records. But not just any records, I look for specific songs and/or bands from the 1920s through the 40s. eBay has made this a lot easier to do. I play them on my 1935 jukebox and my portable 1940s Victrola.

Another hobby is restoring a 1967 Mercury convertible. But that's on hold until I can afford to work on it again. I'm unemployed right now.

MaryMumsy
02-08-2009, 11:15 PM
I crochet a lot. If I'm not reading or on the computer, then I'm crocheting.

MM

nevada
02-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Last winter i knitted a lot. stopped that because at heart i really hate knitting. i do counted cross stitch but only sporadically.

scarletpeaches
02-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Books. Love 'em. That's about the only hobby I have to which I devote any great deal of time.

Cinema, too.

I like stuff I can do on my own. (Shut up, thethinker42).

I don't mind going out with people, but I hate last minute invitations so I prefer to know days, even a week in advance. But reading, writing and cinema are the only things I do with any degree of regularity.

semilargeintestine
02-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Photography and astronomy. I like to put them together as well. I've done a few paid jobs in photography, but I'd rather go out and just shoot.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i159/drmg01/n72103250_30590147_2996.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i159/drmg01/n72103250_30590169_8100.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i159/drmg01/n72103250_30590170_8341.jpg

Just a couple favs.

JimmyB27
02-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Another amateur photographer here - the website in my sig, Moose 42 is where a friend and I post our efforts if you want a look.
I also enjoy the martial arts - I used to do Ju Jitsu, which is derived from the Samurai in feudal Japan. For about six months now, I've been doing Bujinkan, which is derived from the Ninja in feudal Japan.
Oh, and I read and write a little bit too...:p

semilargeintestine
02-08-2009, 11:55 PM
I studied and competed in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for 8 years. How long did you study?

Chumplet
02-09-2009, 01:01 AM
I dabble in photography and I do watercolour portraits of horses, dogs, cats, boats, etc.

regdog
02-09-2009, 01:04 AM
About the only read hobby I have is collecting ancient coins (and sometimes American coins).

I have coin collection. Foreign, ancient and American. I have a bunch of old Roman coins and have no idea what any of them are or what there worth. I just think they're really neat.

I'm learning to knit and while I'm not very good, I made my niece a scarf for Christmas. It took me from July to December and it's a good thing she's timy or I never would have finished it.

HeronW
02-09-2009, 01:09 AM
aside from harrassing regdog, I used to do a lot of painting: oils, watercolors, acyrlic, inks, did a few shows, that fell by the wayside after I started writing. I like to RP on new storylines to develop new characters, read a lot, watch fantasy, horror and scifi--love the silent classics like Metropolis, The Cabinet of Dr Caligari, Nosferatu, Der Golem.

DaddyCat
02-09-2009, 01:33 AM
I don't have any "pure" hobbies. By that I mean the things I've done for enjoyment have also been profitable at one time or another. Computers were a hobby, until I stumbled into making a living with them. During that time, writing was my hobby, and when I left I.T. it was with a long-term contract for corporate writing. All my hobbies end up ruined by becoming work!

alleycat
02-09-2009, 01:49 AM
I have coin collection. Foreign, ancient and American. I have a bunch of old Roman coins and have no idea what any of them are or what they're worth. I just think they're really neat.
If you ever want to have them appraised, I can refer you to some reputable dealers.

Foreign coins (also called world coins) are not worth very much unless they are gold or silver or older than around 1960. You can actually buy world coins by the pound.

brainstorm77
02-09-2009, 01:54 AM
Photography and astronomy. I like to put them together as well. I've done a few paid jobs in photography, but I'd rather go out and just shoot.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i159/drmg01/n72103250_30590147_2996.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i159/drmg01/n72103250_30590169_8100.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i159/drmg01/n72103250_30590170_8341.jpg

Just a couple favs.

Great pics :)

Pagey's_Girl
02-09-2009, 03:18 AM
I make jewelry and crochet (better at the former than the latter,) collect penguin stuff (who would've guessed :D) and any and all pictures I can find of my favorite bands. I also have enough houseplants to start my own rainforest.

Zelenka
02-09-2009, 03:24 AM
I do a little photography too, but I'm not particularly good. Mainly I like to photograph buildings, architecture, not sure why.

Music is my main hobby I suppose. I play clarinet, flute and keyboards and I'm teaching myself the violin. I used to write music but haven't in years.

Oh, and languages. Just started on Greek, but I'm doing Dutch and Arabic as well at the moment.

Susie
02-09-2009, 03:36 AM
Those pics are great guys. My hobbies are, not necessarily in that order are:

Mr. Susie
writing
AW
eating chocolate :)
playing guitar

semilargeintestine
02-09-2009, 03:39 AM
Great pics :)

Thanks. :)

Those pics are great guys. My hobbies are, not necessarily in that order are:

Mr. Susie
writing
AW
eating chocolate :)
playing guitar

Do you have a guitar? I play a few instruments. Guitar is so fun and relaxing.

thethinker42
02-09-2009, 03:42 AM
I like stuff I can do on my own. (Shut up, thethinker42).

:Ssh:

ANYWAY...

I'm really into photography. Used to be a professional, decided it was more fun to do it as a hobby. A lot of my pictures are posted on my blog, especially those from Okinawa. Here's a recent page full o' pics (http://navywifeadventures.blogspot.com/2009/01/eleventy-billion-pictures-from-another.html). And a pic I took of my husband being all photographerlike too...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_PfjQdQcAG1I/SX0EDCkNCrI/AAAAAAAAApg/PSAJhQvnaQU/s400/srsbznz.jpg

Photography is my main hobby, writing is my hobby/job. I also cause trouble here on AW, harass scarletpeaches by way of MSN IM, and take potshots at StevenJ by way of rep points.

Smish
02-09-2009, 03:56 AM
Music: Singing, trumpet, and currently teaching myself to play guitar.

I also love to mosaic. I took a class a few years ago, and since then, I've been hooked. I think I just like to break dishes and beat the crap out of tile with a hammer...

M.R.J. Le Blanc
02-09-2009, 04:01 AM
Photography, I still consider writing as a hobby even though I do plan to be more serious about it. Getting back into making jewellry, both with embroidery thread and with beads (sometimes both at once!). I also like making graphics, researching mythology, and I'm going to get into herbalism this year too :)

BenPanced
02-09-2009, 04:26 AM
I'm also a hooker I also crochet, but I haven't done any in a while. Rewrites and edits have taken over, unfortunately. My trading card collection has lain fallow for so long, mostly disgust with the current market and dismay over how eBay's destroyed it (another rant for another day). Inertia's great, too; I recommend it to anybody who hasn't tried it and is considering it.

Shadow_Ferret
02-09-2009, 04:50 AM
I no longer have any time or money for my hobbies.

Libbie
02-09-2009, 04:58 AM
Painting and photography, mostly. I also get the urge to make some jewelry for myself and other girls I know from time to time, so I have some basic wire- and beadworking supplies around for when the bug bites.

SirOtter
02-09-2009, 04:59 AM
I collect the lost media of the 20th Century; movie serials, pulp magazines, Big Little Books (including the first Lone Ranger BLB from 1934), recordings of old time radio shows, all stuff like that there. And books; I have around 10,000. A house is a building you buy to keep your books in.

alleycat
02-09-2009, 05:14 AM
I collect the lost media of the 20th Century; movie serials, pulp magazines, Big Little Books (including the first Lone Ranger BLB from 1934), recordings of old time radio shows, all stuff like that there. And books; I have around 10,000. A house is a building you buy to keep your books in.
I wanted to buy a few early copies of Black Mask one time, until I found out what they wanted for them.

Susie
02-09-2009, 06:31 AM
Thanks. :)

Do you have a guitar? I play a few instruments. Guitar is so fun and relaxing.

Hey, semilargeintestine, yep, I play the guitar, somewhat, :) since I taught myself. I'm not too bad at it. I enjoy it too. It is lots of fun & relaxing. :welcome: to the cooler. Glad you're here and it's a great place to be.

brainstorm77
02-09-2009, 07:09 AM

I find that rather interesting :)

Beach Bunny
02-09-2009, 07:11 AM
I have a lot of interests. Somethings I haven't done in awhile, but will pick up again when the mood strikes. In no particular order, dancing (all forms), martial arts (all forms), drawing, painting, sewing, gardening, architecture, body boarding, hiking, rockhopping, camping, medieval reenactment, traveling, learning, crafts (crocheting, embroidery, knitting, tablet weaving, making chainmail, bead jewelry. beaded embroidery ... )

I want to learn how to ride a horse, sail, windsurf ...

Basically, I am curious about the world and how to do things.

SirOtter
02-09-2009, 07:13 AM
I wanted to buy a few early copies of Black Mask one time, until I found out what they wanted for them.

Yeah, Black Masks are ridiculously expensive, as are issues of The Shadow. I do have a couple of Doc Savages and a few Weird Tales, but those have gone through the roof lately, too.

JimmyB27
02-09-2009, 07:14 AM
I studied and competed in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for 8 years. How long did you study?
The Ju Jitsu was when I was at university, and I trained for about two and a half years all told. Made it to 3rd Kyu. Now I'm back to square one as a 9th Kyu in Bujinkan - still it's all good fun. And useful too - much better than the mind-numbing pointlessness of a gym.

semilargeintestine
02-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Hey, semilargeintestine, yep, I play the guitar, somewhat, :) since I taught myself. I'm not too bad at it. I enjoy it too. It is lots of fun & relaxing. :welcome: to the cooler. Glad you're here and it's a great place to be.

Yeah, I taught myself every instrument I play except for the violin and the piano. Drums, bass, guitar I all learned on my own. It's fun learning things like that and being able to make music.

The Ju Jitsu was when I was at university, and I trained for about two and a half years all told. Made it to 3rd Kyu. Now I'm back to square one as a 9th Kyu in Bujinkan - still it's all good fun. And useful too - much better than the mind-numbing pointlessness of a gym.

I haven't done it in a while. I went to the Arnold-Gracie worlds and broke my foot in the finals. I still came home with a huge-ass silver medal, and I got to meet Schwarzeneggar and Sly Stallone; but, I wanted to win gold. After that, I didn't compete for a while. I got in the pool to get back in shape, and I've been a swimmer ever since.

Greenify13
02-09-2009, 07:34 AM
My hobbies: Drawing, Collecting movies(bad hobby), (does playing w/my son count?) if so that, researching, writing, reading, beta-reading....so many hobbies I can't list them all...

vixey
02-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Reading, of course.
I play piano, but I had to sell mine so I have to list that hobby as a has-been.
Knitting.
Cooking.
I want to take up backpacking.

Serena Casey
02-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Singing, photography, and reading mostly.

emc07
02-09-2009, 09:53 AM
I love to golf, watch a good movie, watch football--> University of Michigan & Detroit Lions (yes I'm still a fan), I also like to run...

AZ_Dawn
02-10-2009, 03:55 AM
One of my more interesting hobbies is making pixel dolls (aka dolls, dollz, or cartoon dolls). It's a sort of pixel art where you take a naked, hairless (and sometimes faceless) basebody, put it in a graphics program (MS Paint, Photoshop, the GIMP, etc.), and draw the missing clothes and features. Most dollers are teenaged girls, but there are a few males and some older women. This is my lastest "masterpiece", ha ha! (http://arizonad.wordpress.com/2009/01/29/that-fantasy-classic-the-chainmail-bikini/)

As far as non-computer hobbies go, I started loom knitting (http://springyknitting.com/_wsn/page2.html) last summer. I was on vacation and needed something to do on the plane ride home, so I bought the Knifty Knitter flower loom and a skein of yarn at a local Walmart. Now I have the full set of round looms and the spool loom as well. So far I've only done variations of tubes, mostly hats, but I may try flat panels sometime. I'd show you one of my finished projects, a doll hat for my niece, but when I scanned it in, it looked vaguely NWS. At least it looked work-safe on the baby doll.

Clair Dickson
02-10-2009, 04:02 AM
Read
Write
Research, especially Local History
Troubleshoot computers (yes, I actually enjoy this! Especially with Word or PowerPoint.)
Pokemon Trading Card Game (with Hubby, we even go to tournaments. I just try to win more than I lose.)

Zelenka
02-10-2009, 04:06 AM
Yeah, I taught myself every instrument I play except for the violin and the piano. Drums, bass, guitar I all learned on my own. It's fun learning things like that and being able to make music.

I'm self taught in every instrument except clarinet and piano, but the one thing I simply cannot grasp is the guitar. I've got a really nice one too that I was given as a present but I just can't get the hang of it.

Wayne K
02-10-2009, 05:24 AM
Is drinking a hobby?

semilargeintestine
02-10-2009, 05:57 AM
I'm self taught in every instrument except clarinet and piano, but the one thing I simply cannot grasp is the guitar. I've got a really nice one too that I was given as a present but I just can't get the hang of it.

It's different than most instruments. I didn't really have trouble learning any of the instruments I play, but I know a lot of people struggle with it.

Is drinking a hobby?

It is if yer me!

JimmyB27
02-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Is drinking a hobby?
Depends what you drink. If it's fine ales and whiskeys, like me, then yes, drinking is a hobby. If, on the other hand, it's copious amounts of cheap, crappy lager, then getting drunk is the hobby of which you speak.

Wayne K
02-10-2009, 06:56 AM
Depends what you drink. If it's fine ales and whiskeys, like me, then yes, drinking is a hobby. If, on the other hand, it's copious amounts of cheap, crappy lager, then getting drunk is the hobby of which you speak.

I'll do both and get back to you.

SirOtter
02-10-2009, 07:25 AM
Speaking of fine whiskeys, I've recently discovered rye. Similar in body to bourbon, but not as sweet. My wife hated it, which is usually a ringing endorsement for my own tastes.

Fulk
02-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Aside from the obvious hobbies of reading and writing, music is an obsessive hobby of mine. I'm currently trying to learn guitar, but I don't spend enough time with it, and as a result, I'm not good at it.

firedrake
02-10-2009, 08:20 AM
I used to make cards until my muse returned from a very long holiday.

Now, writing is my main hobby. I dabble with photography too, now that I have an idiot-proof camera.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/geeandtee/march192008021.jpg

Wayne K
02-10-2009, 08:25 AM
An idiot proof camera? Now I know what I'm getting for my berfday.

Mel
02-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Love to knit but my hands can't take that anymore. Crochet, plastic canvas, cross stitch, drawing, reading and writing. Made a few patterns of my own for crocheting and plastic canvas.

Just Jack
02-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Been playing bass for years. You can call me Mr. slap master.
Writing, of course.

I also like to swim. A great way to get in shape, by the way.

brainstorm77
03-22-2009, 09:22 PM
A very creative group :)

semilargeintestine
03-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Been playing bass for years. You can call me Mr. slap master.
Writing, of course.

I also like to swim. A great way to get in shape, by the way.

Did I post without knowing it? I've been playing bass since high school. I love it.

What's your stroke? Or do you mostly do laps?

DL Hegel
03-22-2009, 10:16 PM
bright shiny object and string:)