Not sure if this is the right place: 1099's mess-ups and writing

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I just received a 1099 form for one of the places I write for and, to my surprise, another person's 1099 form was printed on the same page as mine. I checked around and found out that this happened with a lot of writers for the same publisher. Basically, the publisher printed out two 1099 forms on the same sheet, but forgot to tear the sheets in half before mailing them out.

Since the 1099 form contains the person's SSN and address, I consider this a huge security breach (especially since I've had my identity stolen before) and rather unprofessional. Should I stop writing for them, or am I overreacting? Thanks!

ETA: Ugh, sorry about the stray 's in the thread title! Need more coffee.

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it too much. As a courtesy, I would mail the one you received in error to the person who should have received it. It would not be amiss to inform the publisher of the problem also. It sounds to me like they had a new employee who didn't really know what they were doing. It does not help that there is no uniformity in the forms. Some are printed two copies of the same person on one page, others are two different people on one page.

MM
CPA, when I'm not spending too much time on AW

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would let them know what happened. Not everyone is ethical and someone might take advantage of the situation.