Scene Description in Celtx

Status
Not open for further replies.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but I just started writing my first play using Celtx, and I can't figure out how to format the scene description. Everything I've read says it should be indented like 3.5" or something like that; but, Celtx doesn't have a "scene description" thing on the pull-down menu. Any suggestions? Am I just an idiot?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
When I create a Theatre project, Celtx automatically opens a new window and inserts:

ACT I

Scene 1

If I hit enter, the default element is Stage Direction. But if I click on the arrowhead to the right of Stage Description I can select Scene Heading. Is that what you're looking for?

-Derek

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Not quite. I was reading some stuff online about formatting, and it said that when you describe the scene, you should use a larger indent than stage directions. I'm not sure how to make that happen in Celtx. When you describe your scenes, do you just do it under stage directions?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
It looks as if Stage Direction is the same as Action in a screenplay, a general description element.

Scene Heading underlines text and aligns with Act and Scene info.

Stage Direction underlines and indents approx. 8 characters which puts it further to the right of Character and Dialogue elements.

I'm not sure how to achieve "a larger indent than stage directions" since Tab doesn't tab, it cycles through element options, as you'd expect.

Not much help, sorry!

-Derek

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
This is what I'm referring to. The first figure has the "Scene Directions" indented almost all the way to where it says Scene One. I can't figure out how to get Celtx to do that. Is this not standard format? I know when a play is published the scene directions are left justified, but I've read that the way a play is published is not the way you should write it.

I found the "samples" in Celtx, and the stage play sample is very different from what I've seen as far as formatting goes. The character names are left justified with the dialogue down a line and indented slightly. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I just use a different program?

Last edited:

odocoileus

Registered
Reaction score
http://forums.celtx.com/viewtopic.php?t=9419&highlight=stageplay

Once you have some script written in the editor, select TypeSet at the bottom of the editor window. Once it renders, select Format Options, and choose the American format. It will then render in the American format.

You can try this with the sample Stageplay project provided with Celtx.

According to this msg board thread, celtx displays stageplays in international format only, but TypeSet subtab can then print out in US format (Sam French format).

http://wiki.celtx.com/index.php?title=Generating_PDFs#How_To_Create_a_PDF

So you could try printing out as a PDF via TypeSet w/ the American format option. Seems to work, but I haven't gone through it w/ a fine tooth comb.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I didn't even try the formatting options button. Duh.

odocoileus

Registered
Reaction score
Until you asked the question, I hadn't realized that Celtx could do Sam French format.

Now that I know, I actually prefer this to MoveMagic's stageplay format.

bison

Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I do it this way (in Word)

ACT I
Scene 1

AT RISE: We discover Jack and Jill starting up a hill.

JACK
What have you got that pail for?

JILL
To fetch some water, silly.

Everything is double spaced, allowing plenty of room to make notes at
readings etc. for re-writes.

Status
Not open for further replies.