In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone else read In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan?

Want to discuss it?

I wasn't sure whether this was a best fit in "talk about books" or "talk about cooking". I finally decided it was a better fit in this forum. A mod can move it if I guessed wrong.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I have read it and love it - I also liked his other books, The Omnivore's Dilemma and The Botany of Desire.

I take those 3 bits of advice to heart (and stomach) every time I eat.

1. Eat food
2. Not too much
3. Mostly plants

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
That advice is the best food advice I've ever seen. I live by it as much as I can.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have read it and love it - I also liked his other books, The Omnivore's Dilemma and The Botany of Desire.
I haven't read those. Years ago I read his book, A Place of My Own, about building a small "writer's shed" in his backyard.

Overall, I think he made a good case in In Defense of Food against "nutritionalism", and about going back to thinking of food as food. Books of this sort can sometime be a bit dry, but this was so well written that it was actually enjoyable to read.

I also think he had some good suggestions for changing the way we eat (although I'm not sure about the gardening one); but as he admits himself, it's not going to be easy.

I read the book a few weeks ago, but at the time didn't really think about it changing my way of looking at food as much as it has. I'm presently rereading the latter parts of the book about changing the way we shop and eat. I don't expect to be able to do everything he suggests, but I am going to try to eliminate highly processed foods and high fructose corn syrup from my diet as much as possible.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic book. I also loved the Omnivore's Dilemma (although I learned way more about corn sex than I bargained for) and I'll have to check out the Botany of Desire. I agree his nonfic is extremely palatable. I try to eat whole foods, though I need to make more of an effort to seek out free range, grass fed beef. Baby steps.