PDA

View Full Version : Post Civil War Soldiers

comradebunny
02-08-2009, 06:18 AM
The setting is Fort Buford in North Dakota after the Civil War and deals with Sitting Bull's surrender.

On the first day Sitting Bull and his group arrived at Fort Buford, all warriors except Sitting Bull surrendered their weapons. The official surrender took place on he following day. Sitting Bull handed his rifle to his son who then surrendered it to the soldiers. Would the soldiers posted there dress/act differently during an informal surrender as opposed to a formal surrender (ex. unbuttoned uniforms vs. buttoned uniforms)? What would be the common practice of the time?

GeorgeK
02-08-2009, 07:59 AM
From what I know of that era, it would be up to the local commander. Everyone else tended to dress up or down depending upon what he was doing. His decision would be colored by the presense of photographers, the likelihood of getting a date that evening, and if other dignitaries were there.

Gary
02-08-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm far from an expert, but from what I've read, dress was pretty casual and I'd guess the troops were more curious to see Sitting Bull, than they were to partake in any ceremony. I visited Fort Buford several years ago, but don't recall any photos of the event in the museum, though there might have been. If there were no photographers present, I doubt there was an effort to look sharp. However, the infantry was more inclined toward uniformity than was the flamboyant cavalry of that era, so they might have tried to impress Sitting Bull.

I don't think you could go wrong using your good judgement to describe the scene.

comradebunny
02-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the input.