PDA

View Full Version : Australia Under Water and on Fire

Pages : [1] 2

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 03:45 AM
ETA: Death toll reaches 208 :( AND expected to rise, more than 1800 homes lost, 500 of them from one town, in bushfires. More than 7000 now homeless

Now officially the worst bushfires to strike THE NATION and the largest loss of life in peace time.:(

3 people currently believed to have been taken by the floods inlcluding a 5 year old boy taken by a crocodile.

Lates National News (http://www.news.com.au/)

Towns currently still under threat.

Thank you to all the overseas AW friends who are sending their prayers and good wishes.

New Zealand fire fighters have come to help and 35 American fire chefs are being deployed to Australia.

I woke up this morning feeling grateful that a heatwave expected in our area has not quite arrived. An hour ago I turned on the news and am mortified to find that two of Australia's states, Victoria, and NSW are on fire. In Victoria some small towns have been wiped out, 100s of homes lost, the death toll currently at least 26 and expected to rise the next few hours. In NSW 59 fires are spreading across the state, while the north of the country is flooding.

Some of these fires have been deliberately lit, causing so much pain and heartache for people just going about their everday life. Many won't be able to be grateful, including some children, for being able to see the light of day.

How very very sad. :(

ETA: GOOD IDEA JOHN

Although often used as an Australian sporting chant, many will be fighting for their life;

LET'S ALL UNITE AND HEAR

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
OY! OY! OY!

Fenika
02-08-2009, 03:46 AM
:(

Stay safe Coo

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 03:53 AM

Stay safe Coo

I am safe but feel very overwhelmed by such sad news :(

Beach Bunny
02-08-2009, 03:54 AM
:( ...

I hope you and the rest of AW's Aussie members stay safe.

writerterri
02-08-2009, 03:54 AM
We just went through that same stuff here in S. California. Now it's raining and flooding in areas.

Stay aware and help out where you can if you can.

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 04:00 AM
:( ...

I hope you and the rest of AW's Aussie members stay safe.

bsolah lives somewhere down there...but I think he is in Melbourne somewhere.

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 04:02 AM
We just went through that same stuff here in S. California. Now it's raining and flooding in areas.

Stay aware and help out where you can if you can.

Yes, I notice each year our countries, and many others, suffer during the extremes the weather reaches. There is always something that causes havic with peoples lives.

Shadow_Ferret
02-08-2009, 04:07 AM
Thoughts are with you and the rest of Australia, Cooee.

Wayne K
02-08-2009, 04:36 AM
I was living near Coatesville Pennsylvania and there were a lot of arsons there recently. I feel for you folks Australians are great people.

writerterri
02-08-2009, 04:45 AM
Yes, I notice each year our countries, and many others, suffer during the extremes the weather reaches. There is always something that causes havic with peoples lives.

We have Santa Anna winds here and when they blow the sicko's start fires. It's a shame.

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 04:56 AM
Thanks ferret and Wyane - lets hope some of the good wishes get to the people who are needing it - they are saying that people are probably trapped in their homes. Horrible, just horrible.

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 05:00 AM
We have Santa Anna winds here and when they blow the sicko's start fires. It's a shame.

Some areas are suffering extreme heat in the mid 40s C and highwinds also in some, add a few idiots and it is looking like it it is going to go down as the worst fires in Australia's history if the death toll and loss of homes keeps rising.

We have laws for such crimes, which rarely get utilised in these cases. Now is a time for the full force of the law with no mercy.

Susie
02-08-2009, 05:02 AM
Gee, how sad, coo. Praying for everyone involved. ((((((((HUGS))))).

John Paton
02-08-2009, 05:09 AM
Hi Cooee

The worst fire front is 100 kms across .... away from where I am tho.

The issue yesterday (Saturday) was the extreme heat 47C or 120F in Amerispeak coupled with almost 50mph winds.

Imagine huge forest fires blocking everything out and travelling as quickly as a motor vehicle.

But we seem to be over the worst of it and we Aussies are pretty resilient, however it appears most of the fires were deliberately started and ..... well words fail me ....

writerterri
02-08-2009, 05:13 AM
Whoa! That's hot! I do hope things turn around soon.

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 05:31 AM
Hi Cooee

The worst fire front is 100 kms across .... away from where I am tho.

The issue yesterday (Saturday) was the extreme heat 47C or 120F in Amerispeak coupled with almost 50mph winds.

Imagine huge forest fires blocking everything out and travelling as quickly as a motor vehicle.

But we seem to be over the worst of it and we Aussies are pretty resilient, however it appears most of the fires were deliberately started and ..... well words fail me ....

It is good to know you are safe John. :)

I have words, but I don't feel it's a time to discuss politics...

Haggis
02-08-2009, 05:53 AM
Maybe we need an Aussie member check in thread.

Stay safe, all of you.

Beach Bunny
02-08-2009, 06:00 AM

Stay safe, all of you.
That would be nice. Should they do it here or start a new thread?

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 06:05 AM

Stay safe, all of you.

Haggis, that is a really good idea. I know bsolah spoke of blackouts last night, he is in Victoria somewhere, near Melbourne I think but I am not sure where he is. Jo, lives in Queensland, not sure how far from the floods, then there a numours other Aussie here, Mumut lives in Sydney I thinks, and J Cooper I don't know. Apart from John, I don't have saw another aussie on the board today...now 105pm here.

Wayne K
02-08-2009, 06:07 AM
Haggis, that is a really good idea. I know bsolah spoke of blackouts last night, he is in Victoria somewhere, near Melbourne I think but I am not sure where he is. Jo, lives in Queensland, not sure how far from the floods, then there a numours other Aussie here, Mumut lives in Sydney I thinks, and J Cooper I don't know. Apart from John, I don't have saw another aussie on the board today...now 105pm here.

PM them. Maybe they're just not online right now.

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 06:12 AM
PM them. Maybe they're just not online right now.

Yes, very true. It is Sunday but they are the only names that I can think of at the moment, but there are many more here.

Kateri
02-08-2009, 06:13 AM
I am 20 minutes from the town of Kinglake and St Andrews. I live in Greensborough. Some of my friends cannot contact their loved ones. There has been no access to Kinglake since yesterday. Ambulances and fire crew cannot get in. Many escaped in cars but are lost.The death toll stands at 35 with more than 20 critical in hospital. Many are missing. My farmers market is St Andrews and a pretty 15 minute drive away. Our community is sombre. Strangers are smiling at each other and people are linked through utter shock. Keep us in your prayers. We are all connected.

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 06:20 AM
I am 20 minutes from the town of Kinglake and St Andrews. I live in Greensborough. Some of my friends cannot contact their loved ones. There has been no access to Kinglake since yesterday. Ambulances and fire crew cannot get in. Many escaped in cars but are lost.The death toll stands at 35 with more than 20 critical in hospital. Many are missing. My farmers market is St Andrews and a pretty 15 minute drive away. Our community is sombre. Strangers are smiling at each other and people are linked through utter shock. Keep us in your prayers. We are all connected.

Karen, my heart goes out to your and your friends. Your post has made me cry again. I watched the news reports of the area you live in. I don't normally pray, but I have been all morning.

brad_b
02-08-2009, 06:31 AM
my heart and prayers go out to all of you affected by this... I pray only the best for you and your loved ones... we get those fires over here and they are devasting.... let's hope everything comes under control quickly.

Kateri
02-08-2009, 06:41 AM
I will keep you updated as I hear. My sister is evacuated and safe. There is no Lake at Kinglake. It is real Aussie bush. My friend teaches at the Primary School. Helicopter reports reveal the town is levelled from the main street back. It was literally a firestorm like a freight train. As we have no road available to the area ambulances cannot reach the people who are calling. Mobiles will be running out so many relatives who have family in the area lost contact late last night, 10pm AEST. Thankyou all. Cooee, prayers make a difference, I am sure.

Beach Bunny
02-08-2009, 06:44 AM
Prayers and positive thoughts for all of you, Kateri. What an awful situation to be in. :Hug2:

I just saw bsolah a few minutes ago, so he is safe.

Jo
02-08-2009, 06:47 AM
((hugs)), Kateri.

News coverage about the Vic. fires here (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25023335-1243,00.html) and the Qld. floods here (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25023559-421,00.html). (Coo, I'm a fair way south of the Qld. floods, and Mumut and JJ Cooper are further south again, around the Brissy area.)

I hope no more try to outrun the fires. This is too much like Ash Wednesday, although we battled through a blanket dust storm as well as smoke that day where I lived in SA. My thoughts are with everyone dealing with this today.

Kateri
02-08-2009, 06:50 AM
Thankyou Brad. It simply is not something you prepare for, nature is to be respected. We are talking about 90% of these towns gone. Aussies like to fight for their homes and are a laconic mob. We are laid back. Tragedy affects us all the same. The emotion and grief is identical to you in the USA. Recovery will be very slow. Loss of life, homes, livelihood, pets, stock and for many, a sense of the future, is pain of the heart. Thankyou.

bsolah
02-08-2009, 06:54 AM
I just saw bsolah a few minutes ago, so he is safe.

Yeah, I'm safe. The power came on after a few hours. We're a bit of the way in the city so we only saw the smoke from a distance. Maybe I'll post a photo I took...

Thanks guys for worrying about me! I almost cried when I read that you guys were thinking of me

{{Hugs!}}

Jo
02-08-2009, 07:04 AM
Has anyone heard from Mandy-Jane today? She's in Victoria surrounded by bush.

For those in Victoria, how's the air temp. and winds at the moment?

bsolah
02-08-2009, 07:16 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3405/3261439021_5b3c00828b.jpg
This is the sky in the northern suburbs of Melbourne yesterday at 45 C. The sky was much more orange but I have a new camera and couldn't work out how to bring out the colour. The just so you know, the whole sky is smoke.

It's actually quite cool where I'm at (Coburg) and not that windy either. Not sure how it is out of the city.

John Paton
02-08-2009, 07:24 AM
I have been thinking of Mandy Jane all morning

She lives in Gippsland, Victoria and thay have experienced one of the biggest fires with deaths.

I hope and pray she is fine

Kateri
02-08-2009, 07:27 AM
AW is a wonderful community. Thankyou all for your heartfelt concern. The beauty of the internet makes us minutes away from each other. It has made such a difference to see your posts. Love and gratitude to all of you. xx

John Paton
02-08-2009, 07:31 AM
So glad to hear you and your family are safe Kateri ;)

and yes, it is wonderful :)

bsolah
02-08-2009, 07:45 AM

She lives in Gippsland, Victoria and thay have experienced one of the biggest fires with deaths.

Far out, does anyone have any contact details of her, an email maybe?

I hope she is safe.

Kateri
02-08-2009, 07:49 AM
For your information and updates everyone. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25023335-1243,00.html.

Jo
02-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Far out, does anyone have any contact details of her, an email maybe?

I hope she is safe.

I've sent an email to her with a link to this thread, but her power and/or phone may be down (hoping it's nothing more). :(

bsolah
02-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Yeah, she could also be too busy keeping safe to check in with us, which is pretty understandable but it makes me worried!

Jo
02-08-2009, 08:39 AM
Plus, it's Sunday. Can't help but worry, though.

Is the air still thick with smoke, Ben? Asthmatics wouldn't be having a good time of it, either.

Vincent
02-08-2009, 08:47 AM
There are reports of firefighters coming across cars full of people caught in the flames, and having to move on without recovering the bodies- not yet counted in the toll. Of badly burnt survivors emerging from these towns talking of the family and neighbours who didn't make it- not yet counted in the toll. These are the worst fires in decades.

Albedo
02-08-2009, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if internet links have been disrupted along with everything else to some of these areas.

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 08:59 AM
((hugs)), Kateri.

News coverage about the Vic. fires here (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25023335-1243,00.html) and the Qld. floods here (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25023559-421,00.html). (Coo, I'm a fair way south of the Qld. floods, and Mumut and JJ Cooper are further south again, around the Brissy area.)

I hope no more try to outrun the fires. This is too much like Ash Wednesday, although we battled through a blanket dust storm as well as smoke that day where I lived in SA. My thoughts are with everyone dealing with this today.

I have just been watching sky news - and it so horrible.

For anyone living through it for the second time you can only image their horror at this moment.

bsolah
02-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Is the air still thick with smoke, Ben? Asthmatics wouldn't be having a good time of it, either.

Not where I am. Wouldn't be surprised if it was further north though.

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 09:01 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if internet links have been disrupted along with everything else to some of these areas.

Yes, I think karen mentioned in an earlier post that some of her family and friends lost telephone connection with one town at 10pm last night.

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 09:12 AM

Me too - the stories coming out of some of the areas are very heartbeaking.

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 09:14 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3405/3261439021_5b3c00828b.jpg
This is the sky in the northern suburbs of Melbourne yesterday at 45 C. The sky was much more orange but I have a new camera and couldn't work out how to bring out the colour. The just so you know, the whole sky is smoke.

It's actually quite cool where I'm at (Coburg) and not that windy either. Not sure how it is out of the city.

It looks like hell about to descend.

semilargeintestine
02-08-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm praying for my Aussie brothers and sisters back home. Stay safe.

Vincent
02-08-2009, 10:17 AM
50 dead now, bound to rise.

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm praying for my Aussie brothers and sisters back home. Stay safe.

The people affected will need all the prayers they can get and it is kind of you to do so :)

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 10:35 AM
50 dead now, bound to rise.

I just saw the figure and have been trying to update my first post. I can't believe that life for so many people yesterday looked as bright as the skys do where I live today.

kristie911
02-08-2009, 10:43 AM
I'll keep all of you folks in my thoughts. Stay safe.

ATP
02-08-2009, 11:04 AM
This news just came to me today via AW.

I am originally from Melbourne in the state of Victoria and live overseas, but my parents and wider family reside in Melbourne. And my wife transferred/immigrated to Sydney on 4-2-09. My cousin mentioned to me recently over the phone about the high temperatures.They live in the suburbs.

I have been arse up and head down into my work (for such a long time now) that I often only take a quick scan of the internet news headlines.

I hope that things are ok.

John Paton
02-08-2009, 11:08 AM
just been out and about and catching up with ppl.

Just the worst imaginable.

So much destruction and so many ppl killed and injured.

Helping out where I can

Take care all

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oy Oy Oy !!

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 11:14 AM
just been out and about and catching up with ppl.

Just the worst imaginable.

So much destruction and so many ppl killed and injured.

Helping out where I can

Take care all

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oy Oy Oy !!

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
OY! OY! OY!

emc07
02-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Sending thoughts and Prayers to the aussies and families... what a tragic event. I'm so sorry to anyone affected by this. I need to contact a friend of mine who lives over there...

Vincent
02-08-2009, 11:17 AM
65 dead now.

700 homes lost.

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 11:32 AM
This news just came to me today via AW.

I am originally from Melbourne in the state of Victoria and live overseas, but my parents and wider family reside in Melbourne. And my wife transferred/immigrated to Sydney on 4-2-09. My cousin mentioned to me recently over the phone about the high temperatures.They live in the suburbs.

I have been arse up and head down into my work (for such a long time now) that I often only take a quick scan of the internet news headlines.

I hope that things are ok.

I hope so to.

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Sending thoughts and Prayers to the aussies and families... what a tragic event. I'm so sorry to anyone affected by this. I need to contact a friend of mine who lives over there...

I hope your friend is ok...

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 11:35 AM
65 dead now.

700 homes lost.

yes, and growing by the minute :(

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

OY! OY! OY!

tailstrike
02-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Being in Brisbane it feels so bad just to sit back and watch and not be able to do anything...

Thought and prayers to all affected by this fires and floods...

And if they catch the pricks that started some of these fires, i hope they shoot them...Its what they deserve!!!!! PRICKS!!!!!

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Being in Brisbane it feels so bad just to sit back and watch and not be able to do anything...

And if they catch the pricks that started some of these fires, i hope they shoot them...Its what they deserve!!!!! PRICKS!!!!!

The worst thing I think for those not directly in the areas is the helplessness we all feel. Watching, and experiencing the traggic loss of life, can't help but provoke a great deal of empathy when we realise the reality that for those currently critical the pain that they are going through and will go through if they survive will be horrendous, as will be the waiting from their love ones, and those who have loss someone to something partly caused by a thoughtless, and coward act.

Shooting those responsible would be too quick.

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OY! OY! OY!

ATP
02-08-2009, 12:43 PM

If my memory serves me correctly, at least one of our annual major bushfires is deliberately started by some idiot.

Kateri
02-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Hi everyone, the news gets sadder as I live and work in the community around St Andrews, Kinglake and Pheasant Creek in Victoria. My friends are ringing with more stories and new addresses to take clothing etc. My sister is the Visitor experience officer at Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary and many injured animals are being brought in. Have just dropped off some of my boys clothes to 2 families who have lost everything. My friend is a Primary School teacher in Kinglake and has been at the school a number of years. As you would realise there are child fatalities.

This is only the start as the impact is ongoing and ripples through every aspect of life. A group of us have started collecting furniture and items to store at my house. We are also cooking. Thankyou all for your thoughts. It really is a case of "what can I do with you?", rather than "what can I do for you ?" we are all in a daze and the personal stories I've heard today are mindnumbing. Especially when children are involved. x

qwerty
02-08-2009, 12:53 PM
This is all so heartbreaking. It's hard (even for a writer) to find the words to express feelings on something this horrendous. Even trying brings on shudders.

Thank God for those of you who are safe and communicating with the rest of us here. If thoughts and/or prayers can help, they are coming from all over the world for everyone affected.

Mr Flibble
02-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Hope you all keep safe

ErylRavenwell
02-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I can see the smoke from where I live, even though I'm from a reasonably safe distance. 46 degree yesterday. A new record AFAICR. 66 dead even worse than Ash Wednesday.

ErylRavenwell
02-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Has anyone heard from Mandy-Jane today? She's in Victoria surrounded by bush.

There was a cool change in the evening yesterday, but before that it was hell on earth—a scorching 46 degrees. Today, the temperature has fallen to a comfortable 25 degrees, and luckily it has been drizzling. Now, everyone knows why I so hate anyone who badmouths Australian winter.

RIP to the dead.

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3010178/2/istockphoto_3010178-flag-of-australia-at-half-staff.jpg

Vincent
02-08-2009, 02:34 PM
76 dead now. It's worse than both Ash Wednesday and Black Friday.

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 02:51 PM
76 dead now. It's worse than both Ash Wednesday and Black Friday.

84 now gone :( - I should go to bed but can't sleep. I guess, I should be very grateful, and I am, that least I have the option.

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Now it is the worst fire in our history....and to think some countries have already gone through this type of tragedy well before us....So much for growing up.

Jo
02-08-2009, 02:57 PM
The toll keeps climbing. As Coo posted, it now stands at 84, including veteran newsreader Brian Naylor and his wife, with 750 homes destroyed and 3733 evacuees registered with the Red Cross. And arson is suspected for some of the fires. It's sickening. :(

More information can be found here (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25025527-2,00.html).

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 03:07 PM
The toll keeps climbing. As Coo posted, it now stands at 84, including veteran newsreader Brian Naylor and his wife, with 750 homes destroyed and 3733 evacuees registered with the Red Cross. And arson is suspected for some of the fires. It's sickening. :(

More information can be found here (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25025527-2,00.html).

This just makes me realise why I don't want to go to sleep. I am afraid what I will find when I wake...

I will update my original post again :(

Take care Jo. XXXXXOOOOO

regdog
02-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Best wishes and safety for eveyone down under

Vincent
02-08-2009, 07:05 PM
96 now. I don't know what to say.

Jean Marie
02-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Stay safe and it is sad, indeed.

I do hope they catch whoever did this. Sometimes in CA they do. They should fry, I agree. It's a horrible crime. One of the worst.

DamaNegra
02-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Have all the AW Aussie members reported safely? Thoughts and prayers sent out your way.

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 11:38 PM
108 now :(

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Have all the AW Aussie members reported safely? Thoughts and prayers sent out your way.

There is another member, Mandy Jane, who also lives in one of the affected areas, some members were trying to contact her yesterday...maybe her phone lines have been affected and she has no connection.

John Paton
02-09-2009, 12:18 AM
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25027094-661,00.html

31 fires burning across the state now. Some of these are uncontained and will take weeks to put out.

108 dead with that figure expected to rise sharply as smaller communities that have been totally cut off are reached.

Over a million acres burnt so far.

Many are homeless.

Polls are running that if those responsible are caught should they be charged with murder. 98% for 2% against.

cooeedownunder
02-09-2009, 12:33 AM
3 people belived to have been lost in the floods - including a 5 year old boy taken by a crocodile :(

qwerty
02-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Cooee, the time you're still awake and posting, you must try and get some sleep. We'll all be here for you and all the Aussies in the morning.

Manday Jane last posted 2 days ago. God willing she's just currently without internet and we'll hear from her soon.

cooeedownunder
02-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Cooee, the time you're still awake and posting, you must try and get some sleep. We'll all be here for you and all the Aussies in the morning.

Manday Jane last posted 2 days ago. God willing she's just currently without internet and we'll hear from her soon.

I have been asleep last night. 740am here at the minute.

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, and lets hope God's will keeps Mandy safe.

One town has lost at least 60 people it appears....horrible, horrible, horrible and they are saying it may take another two weeks to work out the total loss of life, let alone the total amount of people who have been displaced indefinately. And on top of this we have the floods, which have taken a backseat to the fires, but I don't the figure of how many people have been left homeless there.

Kateri
02-09-2009, 12:49 AM
How terrible, Cooee. So much sadness and bewilderment. God bless everyone at this time. The support has been amazing.

regdog
02-09-2009, 12:56 AM
:e2cry:

HeronW
02-09-2009, 01:19 AM
Sending prayers for those lost and hope for those found.

Mandy-Jane
02-09-2009, 02:32 AM
Oh you guys are all so sweet. Yes, we have no power so currently I'm at the library, so I better make it quick.

The fire came very close to us; we evacuated but thankfully the wind blew it away from our direction. Our house is still standing and we are all fine.

These fires have been the worst thing I've ever seen. I can't believe how lucky we personally have been.

I don't have time to look through this whole thread (or any other) in detail right now, but just wanted to check in and thank you all for your concern.

I feel awful for the people all over the state who have lost everything. It's heartbreaking to watch the news these days.

Must go now. Thanks again. Stay safe everyone.

Jo
02-09-2009, 02:34 AM
*scrubs post* Mandy-Jane! :snoopy: (I had a feeling we'd cross post :)) For you and your family: :Hug2:

semilargeintestine
02-09-2009, 02:37 AM
Good to see you're safe. I just saw a story on Squawk Australia. I hope the people responsible for this get caught and have bad things happen to them.

bsolah
02-09-2009, 03:15 AM
Glad to see you're safe, Mandy-Jane!

poetinahat
02-09-2009, 03:25 AM
Prayers and hope for all of you in Melbourne - Kateri and M-J, I am glad to know you're safe. This has been horrible to watch. We've had a hot weekend, and I've smelled some ash in parts of Sydney, but it's nothing... nothing like Victoria's getting.

Up here in Sydney, the southerly buster came in overnight, and it's cool and humid now -- could rain. I hope it buckets down in Victoria.

tailstrike
02-09-2009, 03:27 AM
THEY CAUGHT SOME OF THE BASTARDS!!! This morning on the news the police have charged a 31 year old man and a 15 year old boy for starting some fires...

I hope they crucify them, i said shot yesterday but now i change my mind...The worst thing is all they will get eventually is jail...Give them to the communities that have been wiped out and see what they do to them...

108 dead and they just found more now official count...It just eats at you seeing people on the worst day of their lives...

bsolah
02-09-2009, 03:34 AM
I hope it buckets down in Victoria.

I hope so too. It's kind of cool, and has been kind of overcast. We've got sprinkles of rain but not enough to affect the fires...

cooeedownunder
02-09-2009, 03:51 AM
Glad to see you are safe Mandy.

poetinahat
02-09-2009, 03:54 AM
THEY CAUGHT SOME OF THE BASTARDS!!! This morning on the news the police have charged a 31 year old man and a 15 year old boy for starting some fires...

I hope they crucify them, i said shot yesterday but now i change my mind...The worst thing is all they will get eventually is jail...Give them to the communities that have been wiped out and see what they do to them...

108 dead and they just found more now official count...It just eats at you seeing people on the worst day of their lives...
Nine News reported last night that, if caught, the firebugs would face murder charges.

No argument here. Bushfires kill, and everyone here knows that.

DamaNegra
02-09-2009, 04:24 AM
I'm glad everyone in AW is okay. I'll be praying tonight for all those who lost everything in the fire, as well as the people who lost loved ones.

cooeedownunder
02-09-2009, 05:09 AM
Yes, it is one consolation.

Beechworth residents are on high alert as fires approach and a number of small towns also lay in its path...

2 have been arrested in NSW over some of the fires in NSW.

Jean Marie
02-09-2009, 05:19 AM
Nine News reported last night that, if caught, the firebugs would face murder charges.

No argument here. Bushfires kill, and everyone here knows that.
Murder charges aren't a big enough deal. I say, like someone else already did, let the ones who've lost property and loved ones have their best shot at 'em. I'm not even sure that's good enough.

Firebugs who destroy and or kill deserve the worst, no question regardless of age.

cooeedownunder
02-09-2009, 07:27 AM
death toll just gone to 128

semilargeintestine
02-09-2009, 07:28 AM
It's a shame Australia doesn't have the death penalty.

bsolah
02-09-2009, 07:32 AM
It's a shame some people still believe in that form of punishment.

semilargeintestine
02-09-2009, 07:37 AM
There are certain situations in which I am a believer in capital punishment. The holocaust comes to mind. Causing the death of this many people makes it hard for me to be satisfied with a prison term. By "this" I mean the fires, not the holocaust, btw.

cooeedownunder
02-09-2009, 07:38 AM
It's a shame Australia doesn't have the death penalty.

One fellow arrested for the files in NSW is only fifteen. The other is 31 At this stage no loss of life has happened in NSW

I have been struggling with the concept of an eye for an eye for the past 24 hours. I have no problem with any adult being handed back to the families who have lost love ones, as for the younger fellow, I can't help but also feel for his family who would be morified of the pain their son could have conflicted on others in the wake of what is currently happening in Victoria who still have towns at risk at the moment.

cooeedownunder
02-09-2009, 07:40 AM
It's a shame some people still believe in that form of punishment.

I am of the mind that captial punishment is too quick. Let them rot in jail for the terms of their natural life.

bsolah
02-09-2009, 07:44 AM
I just don't support capital punishment. It's backward and inhumane.

Killing these people does not solve anything at all. It does not bring anyone back. It just causes more grief upon more families.

semilargeintestine
02-09-2009, 07:44 AM
One fellow arrested for the files in NSW is only fifteen. The other is 31 At this stage no loss of life has happened in NSW

I have been struggling with the concept of an eye for an eye for the past 24 hours. I have no problem with any adult being handed back to the families who have lost love ones, as for the younger fellow, I can't help but also feel for his family who would be morified of the pain their son could have conflicted on others in the wake of what is currently happening in Victoria who still have towns at risk at the moment.

Yeah, it gets messy with minors. I think it just depends on the person. If they are mature and made a conscious effort to end the lives of others, well, there you go. I'm just glad I'm not the one who has to decide on things like that, because it would take me forever.

cooeedownunder
02-09-2009, 07:50 AM
I just don't support capital punishment. It's backward and inhumane.

Killing these people does not solve anything at all. It does not bring anyone back. It just causes more grief upon more families.

I think we need to remember that we all have different views on punishment...

Australian's can also be undesicive about this topic. They generally do not wish their own to be subjected to such punishment but had no problems demanding the bali bommers be put to death or for that matter the instigators of 11th September.

bsolah
02-09-2009, 07:53 AM
I think we need to remember that we all have different views on punishment...

Australian's can also be undesicive about this topic. They generally do not wish their own to be subjected to such punishment but had no problems demanding the bali bommers be put to death or for that matter the instigators of 11th September.

Except I didn't support it then either.

And I wish that those kinds of comments be moved to the P&CE thread because I don't think talking about wishing someone dead is appropriate in a thread where we are morning the deaths of others.

semilargeintestine
02-09-2009, 07:55 AM
I like the idea of eye for an eye, but only when I'm thinking with my gut. Logically, it makes little sense to just up and kill someone for a crime. Of course, if someone killed a member of my family, I might have a go at them without thinking about it too much. I'm unevolved like that.

ETA: Sorry I put us off topic. I seem to be good at that.

Yeshanu
02-09-2009, 07:55 AM
I'd respectfully like to suggest that we return to the original topic of this thread: Praying and/or sending blessing thoughts to those who are affected by the fires.

My prayers for you all, and I am relieved beyond all measure that many of our regular AW Aussies have reported in. Stay safe, all.

semilargeintestine
02-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Agreed. Once again, sorry 'bout that.

cooeedownunder
02-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Except I didn't support it then either.

And I wish that those kinds of comments be moved to the P&CE thread because I don't think talking about wishing someone dead is appropriate in a thread where we are morning the deaths of others.

I don't think anyone was trying to start a debate about politics. There have been a few post that voice their opinion on punishment in the thread. The majority of AW members live in the states and we are aware of the majority of those states belief on such matters. That is their country and they are welcome to their views on such matters I think, just as we are however I agree we should keep the thread respectful, and leave punishment of these people up to another thread.

cooeedownunder
02-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Agreed. Once again, sorry 'bout that.

I know you didn't mean no harm. It is nice to have your support.

cooeedownunder
02-09-2009, 08:08 AM
I'd respectfully like to suggest that we return to the original topic of this thread: Praying and/or sending blessing thoughts to those who are affected by the fires.

My prayers for you all, and I am relieved beyond all measure that many of our regular AW Aussies have reported in. Stay safe, all.

Well said Yeshanu, and thanks for the prayers.

semilargeintestine
02-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Well, I'm happy to give it, but I wish you didn't need it.

cooeedownunder
02-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Stay safe, all of you

Hey haggis, I love your new avi...you are a sweetheart but don't tell anyone I said that. I might give you back your eyes now.

http://www.australianflavour.net/haggis.gif

Cranky
02-09-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm glad everyone from AW seems to be okay. My prayers for the dead and their families. What a horrible tragedy. :(

cooeedownunder
02-09-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm glad everyone from AW seems to be okay. My prayers for the dead and their families. What a horrible tragedy. :(

Thanks for the prayers and thoughts...we can only hope that some of them are reaching the people in need of them.

Beach Bunny
02-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Has everyone from AW checked in? I know we have quite a few Aussie members and I don't know who all of them are.

Still praying for those who are suffering.

John Paton
02-09-2009, 10:40 AM
The regulars seem to have BB.

We Aussies tend to recall roughly where each of our brothers and sisters live in Oz so I think so ;)

Beach Bunny
02-09-2009, 10:41 AM
ETA: Thanks, John. It's hard to tell who is where when they have a flippant location listed in their profile. ;)

For Aussies here's a link to the Red Cross on how you can help:
http://www.redcross.org.au/vic/services_emergencyservices_victorian-bushfires-appeal-2009.htm

For others:

American Red Cross for donations:
http://american.redcross.org/site/PageServer?pagename=ntld_main&s_subsrc=RCO_RedTab&s_src=DRF

International Red Cross for donations:
http://www.icrc.org/

Jo
02-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Excerpt from this news report (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25027055-421,00.html):

Most of the damage was done by two massive fires - one that virtually wiped out towns northeast of Melbourne including Kinglake and Marysville with a 100km front - and a second inferno that raced across Gippsland.
TV veteran Brian Naylor and his wife Moiree were among the dead (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25025527-1243,00.html). The pair died when the fire at Kinglake swept through their property.
Bushfire experts told news.com.au that blazes with a danger rating of 100 are considered uncontrollable. Saturday's fire had a rating of 400 (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25027847-2,00.html).
Horrific deaths
Six victims were in one car trying to outrun the inferno which swept through Kinglake in minutes. A resident said the town was littered with burnt-out cars and he believed many contained bodies.
"It's going to look like Hiroshima, I tell you, it's going to look like a nuclear bomb," he told Melbourne's Herald Sun (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25026072-661,00.html).
His daughter told of another resident who "went to put his kids in the car, put them in, turned around to go grab something from the house, then his car was on fire with his kids in it, and they burnt".
The stories coming from this ongoing tragedy are just mind-numbing. And this report also mentions speculation of fires being relit after the fire crews have left the area...

At the moment, fires continue to burn in Victoria and New South Wales. The death toll is expected to reach around 230. :(

Jo
02-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Has everyone from AW checked in? I know we have quite a few Aussie members and I don't know who all of them are.

Still praying for those who are suffering.

Here's a list of some of AW's Aussies from Maryn's AW Members Listed by State/Province/Country (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69510) thread. I'm hoping everyone is okay.

Australia:
Albedo (Sydney, NSW)
Alice.S
Astro (Sydney, NSW)
beezle
bsolah (Melbourne)
cherubsmummy (Brisbane)
chevbrock (Hunter Valley, NSW)
ErylRavenwell
Faolmar (Perth, WA)
Gillian (Canberra, ACT)
JJ Cooper (Brisbane, Queensland)
John Paton (Melbourne)
Jo (Hervey Bay, Queensland)
Kateri (Melbourne)
laffarsmith (Perth, WA)
loiterer (Margaret River, WA)
Mac H.
Mandy-Jane (Gippsland, Victoria)
Mamut (Brisbane)
poetinahat (Sydney, NSW)
Ruv Draba (Canberra)
spacejock2 (western)
Trish

Vincent
02-09-2009, 02:49 PM
134 confirmed, but the toll is now expected to top 200.

Jean Marie
02-09-2009, 08:51 PM
I am of the mind that captial punishment is too quick. Let them rot in jail for the terms of their natural life.
I agree.

Just heard that it may be several days before the fires are able to be put out. It's unbelievable the amount of destruction that has been caused. Incredibly horrific.

Still praying for those who are in harm's way. I grew up in a fire zone and it's terrifying.

euclid
02-09-2009, 09:54 PM
I spoke to my daughter in Brisbane on Sunday. She mentioned fires and floods in Victoria and NSW. She also said the fires were started deliberately. I didn't realise the situation was so bad.

It's ghastly. The fires are so bad, there doesn't seem to be any news about the floods.
Cooee's not on that list. Where are you, Cooee?

I hope they catch the arsonists in Victoria. I wonder if there are several of them working together. They have to catch them to make sure this doesn't happen again next year.

Yeshanu
02-09-2009, 10:39 PM
cooee started the thread, so I'm assuming she's all right.

The following have also checked in, in the last few days, as far as I know:

Albedo
beezle
bsolah (Melbourne)
ErylRavenwell
John Paton (Melbourne)
Jo (Hervey Bay, Queensland)
Kateri (Melbourne)
Mandy-Jane (Gippsland, Victoria)
poetinahat (Sydney, NSW)

I'll check up on the others in a moment.

Yeshanu
02-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Here's a list of Aussies who haven't posted in this thread, and date of last post:

Alice S., January 26
Astro, 2007
cherubsmummy, February 2
chevbrock, February 7
Faolmor, September 2008
Gillian, April 2008
JJ Cooper, January 30
laffarsmith, January 23
loiterer, March 2008
Mac H., February 2
Ruv Draba, Today
spacejock2, January 30
Trish, Yesterday

And did Mamut change his username? I can't find him at all using the search engine, and that's the usual reason. Anyone know what it is now?

MaryMumsy
02-09-2009, 11:59 PM
His user name is Mumut, and he posted this morning AZ time. Still praying for all in Australia.

MM

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 12:01 AM
ETA: Thanks, John. It's hard to tell who is where when they have a flippant location listed in their profile. ;)

http://www.redcross.org.au/vic/services_emergencyservices_victorian-bushfires-appeal-2009.htm

For others:

http://american.redcross.org/site/PageServer?pagename=ntld_main&s_subsrc=RCO_RedTab&s_src=DRF

you are a sweeth heart for posting those links :)

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 12:05 AM
I spoke to my daughter in Brisbane on Sunday. She mentioned fires and floods in Victoria and NSW. She also said the fires were started deliberately. I didn't realise the situation was so bad.

It's ghastly. The fires are so bad, there doesn't seem to be any news about the floods.
Cooee's not on that list. Where are you, Cooee?

I hope they catch the arsonists in Victoria. I wonder if there are several of them working together. They have to catch them to make sure this doesn't happen again next year.

No, I am not on the list :( I will go and have a look to see how I get on the list.

I live in Port Stephens about 2 half hours north of Sydney.

dahmnait
02-10-2009, 12:06 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to all affected by this tragedy. Keep safe.

Kateri
02-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Hi everyone. Thought I'd update all you lovely people. I live and work in the community 20 minutes from Kinglake and 10 minutes from St Andrew's. I work as a Wholistic Counsellor. Our community is a "green" community where we focus on nature, the arts and semi-rural living. It is, was, physically beautiful in our Aussie bush way.We are 40 minutes from the centre of Melbourne.The wider Australian community and now the global, has been so supportive. At work yesterday we just chatted and made cuppas for people. I already had a full book of clients. The roads are quiet and the fire sirens howl and helicopters continue to scan for burnt out cars and bodies.

Your support and thoughts brought tears to those who are sad. They are comforted and amazed that the AW community cared and is passing on blessings and prayers. Our Prime Minister visited and hugged the victims. As for the ARSE onists; any retribution is left in the hands of those who can investigate and prosecute.

Out of this comes a renewed sense that we are all connected, that we are one, through grief and empathy. The victims and families gain strength from the love and friendship directed towards them and their loved ones. ( I have just heard, 7.00am AEST, my other sister in Healesville is at risk. She has left her home put her cats in the cattery and taken her Labrador, Ruby with her to the beach. Damn the house. She works at the Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary as a Journalist and Publicity Officer. ) My 8 year old prayed last night for the pets. She finds that heartbreaking. One man who lost everything including his grandparents, went back to his property and there on the blackened ground in the paddock sat his beloved dog wagging his tail. He said it made him want to live. It was a miracle.

Out of tragedy comes miracles because there is great love. Our resilience and greatness as human beings is more obvious. The dark illuminates it. Keep up your good thoughts and prayers, we need each other.

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 12:16 AM
Hi everyone. Thought I'd update all you lovely people. I live and work in the community 20 minutes from Kinglake and 10 minutes from St Andrew's. I work as a Wholistic Counsellor. Our community is a "green" community where we focus on nature, the arts and semi-rural living. It is, was, physically beautiful in our Aussie bush way.We are 40 minutes from the centre of Melbourne.The wider Australian community and now the global, has been so supportive. At work yesterday we just chatted and made cuppas for people. I already had a full book of clients. The roads are quiet and the fire sirens howl and helicopters continue to scan for burnt out cars and bodies.

Your support and thoughts brought tears to those who are sad. They are comforted and amazed that the AW community cared and is passing on blessings and prayers. Our Prime Minister visited and hugged the victims. As for the ARSE onists; any retribution is left in the hands of those who can investigate and prosecute.

Out of this comes a renewed sense that we are all connected, that we are one, through grief and empathy. The victims and families gain strength from the love and friendship directed towards them and their loved ones. ( I have just heard, 7.00am AEST, my other sister in Healesville is at risk. She has left her home put her cats in the cattery and taken her Labrador, Ruby with her to the beach. Damn the house. She works at the Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary as a Journalist and Publicity Officer. ) My 8 year old prayed last night for the pets. She finds that heartbreaking. One man who lost everything including his grandparents, went back to his property and there on the blackened ground in the paddock sat his beloved dog wagging his tail. He said it made him want to live. It was a miracle.

Out of tragedy comes miracles because there is great love. Our resilience and greatness as human beings is more obvious. The dark illuminates it. Keep up your good thoughts and prayers, we need each other.

Karen, I said it the other day, but this morning words are very hard. The death toll has official risen to 166 - and many people currently sitting in army tents for shelters probably don't know how much their own world and the nation is devasted.

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 12:19 AM
Here's a list of Aussies who haven't posted in this thread, and date of last post:

Alice S., January 26
Astro, 2007
cherubsmummy, February 2
chevbrock, February 7
Faolmor, September 2008
Gillian, April 2008
JJ Cooper, January 30
laffarsmith, January 23
loiterer, March 2008
Mac H., February 2
Ruv Draba, Today
spacejock2, January 30
Trish, Yesterday

And did Mamut change his username? I can't find him at all using the search engine, and that's the usual reason. Anyone know what it is now?

You might mean mumut? He lives in or near Brisbane and is posting in other threads.

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 12:34 AM
one fire still burning is only 50klms away from homes...lets pray the wind changes.

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 12:40 AM
173 people gone now

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 02:32 AM
more than 5000 now homeless

Beach Bunny
02-10-2009, 02:43 AM
you are a sweeth heart for posting those links :)
Other than prayers, it's all I can do from Florida to help those who are suffering and in need. Hopefully, others will send a donation as well. :)

Jo
02-10-2009, 03:02 AM
Update on Queensland's floods:

ALMOST three weeks after flooding began, north Queensland remains in chaos, with towns isolated, emergency services swamped and the Bruce Highway cut.
Emergency services were swamped by 903 calls for aid while the body of a man was found, one of two missing from a 4WD swept off the Bruce Highway near Tully on Sunday.
In pictures: Far north Queensland awash (http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/gallery/0,23816,5037202-17382,*00.html)
Weather Central: Latest observations, forecasts (http://media01.couriermail.com.au/extras/wet/cmweather.html)
Wicked Weather: Relive recent wild conditions (http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/indepth/date/0,,5018248,00.html)Although floods will ease overnight, the weather bureau warns rain will increase on Thursday.

Ingham, between Cairns and Townsville, remains the worst hit district. About 270 calls for aid remained to be answered there after 335 food drops on the weekend.

Hinchinbrook Shire councillor Andrew Lancini from Halifax, north of Ingham, said four helicopters were stretched keeping up with demand.

"I'm starting to really fear for some people, there's such a backlog of food drops to be done," Cr Lancini said.

"People have just got to sit tight. There was 5.47m of water over the Halifax Bridge this morning so no one is going anywhere."

A total of 2900 homes remain flood-effected, 41 residents are in emergency accommodation and 2300 food packs are being distributed.

Article continued here (http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,27574,25031548-3102,00.html).

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6477603,00.jpg

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 03:14 AM
Other than prayers, it's all I can do from Florida to help those who are suffering and in need. Hopefully, others will send a donation as well. :)

All of it will surely help. In the last 24 hours Australians have raised 14 million.

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 03:15 AM
Update on Queensland's floods:

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6477603,00.jpg

yes, lets hope no more life is lost in Queensland.

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 03:15 AM
America deploys 35 fire cheifs to assist and learn from the disaster.

Kenzie
02-10-2009, 03:17 AM
I am devastated by what's happening at home, and feel very very far away right now. I am from Brisbane originally and don't have close friends or family in victoria, but I am hearing all kinds of terrible news about friends families and such. It doesn't matter either way really; whether you personally know those affected or not, it's gutting to hear of such a tragedy.

bsolah
02-10-2009, 03:23 AM
All of it will surely help. In the last 24 hours Australians have raised 14 million.

It kind of shows that the idea that ordinary people are greedy is a myth. I'm always amazed that in times of tradgedy, ordinary working-class people help each other out.

Yeshanu
02-10-2009, 03:37 AM
His user name is Mumut, and he posted this morning AZ time. Still praying for all in Australia.

MM

Duh! I can't find him if I mis-spell his name. :tongue

Glad to hear he's posted, though.

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 03:38 AM
I am devastated by what's happening at home, and feel very very far away right now. I am from Brisbane originally and don't have close friends or family in victoria, but I am hearing all kinds of terrible news about friends families and such. It doesn't matter either way really; whether you personally know those affected or not, it's gutting to hear of such a tragedy.

:Hug2:

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

OY! OY! OY!

Pagey's_Girl
02-10-2009, 03:43 AM
((hugs)) to everyone. I wish there was more I could send right away. :(

JennaGlatzer
02-10-2009, 03:57 AM
Sending my hugs and good wishes, too. I'm so sorry this is happening.

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 03:59 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to all affected by this tragedy. Keep safe.

Thank you for the kind thoughts :Hug2:

Perks
02-10-2009, 03:59 AM
It's horrible. I think of all our Aussies when this news keeps coming up.

Please take care, people.

JennaGlatzer
02-10-2009, 04:01 AM
I spotted JJ on Facebook today. Any news on others who haven't checked in yet?

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 04:04 AM
It kind of shows that the idea that ordinary people are greedy is a myth. I'm always amazed that in times of tradgedy, ordinary working-class people help each other out.

Ah, we are a resiliant lot, and not too many of us. We need to look after each other :Hug2:

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
OY! OY! OY!

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 04:10 AM

Hi Jeanna, thanks for the goodwishes :Hug2:

Alice S., January 26

Yeshuna postd this yesterday or early this morning.

Astro, 2007
cherubsmummy, February 2

chevbrock, February 7 lives near me so she herself should be ok unless she is travelling.

Faolmor, September 2008
Gillian, April 2008
JJ Cooper, January 30 on facebook today?
laffarsmith, January 23
loiterer, March 2008 probably not using the boards
Mac H., February 2 don't know where he lives.
Ruv Draba, Today
spacejock2, January 30
Trish, Yesterday

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 04:14 AM
((hugs)) to everyone. I wish there was more I could send right away. :(

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 04:17 AM
It's horrible. I think of all our Aussies when this news keeps coming up.

Please take care, people.

Thanks for the wishes :Hug2:

Jo
02-10-2009, 04:45 AM

JJ lives in southern Queensland, so should be okay unless rain has flooded where he works (north west, I think). I noticed he'd changed his profile pic on FB yesterday, so at least he's still kicking. :)

Aussie AW members should be fine unless they live in the affected parts of Victoria, New South Wales or far north Queensland.

Beach Bunny
02-10-2009, 05:06 AM
Reposting this as it is several pages back:

For others:

JJ Cooper
02-10-2009, 05:49 AM
All's good where I am. Couple of thousand kilometres between me, the fires and the floods. Apologies for not checking in sooner. I knew Jo would have me covered. Been busy with the family - bub number three has been getting impatient.

Been following the news over here and it is devastating. My thoughts are with those who have lost loved ones.

JJ

Calla Lily
02-10-2009, 06:53 AM
Praying for all.

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Reposting this as it is several pages back:

For others:

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 08:43 AM
All's good where I am. Couple of thousand kilometres between me, the fires and the floods. Apologies for not checking in sooner. I knew Jo would have me covered. Been busy with the family - bub number three has been getting impatient.

Been following the news over here and it is devastating. My thoughts are with those who have lost loved ones.

JJ

We were watching you. Glad all is ok with you and yours. :Hug2:

emc07
02-10-2009, 08:46 AM
I hope your friend is ok...

Thank you for your concern.

I haven't heard anything yet, but I will keep trying to get a hold of her. I'm sure I would have heard something if the fires had reached their place.

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Praying for all.

Thanks for the prayers :Hug2:

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Thank you for your concern.

I haven't heard anything yet, but I will keep trying to get a hold of her. I'm sure I would have heard something if the fires had reached their place.

A lot of the areas now have no power, so there is a good chance if she lives near the affected areas she would not be able to be contacted. I wouldn't suprise me if a dead phone sounded like it was ringing. At least one member here has no power and has been using the library to communicate via the Interent.

John Paton
02-10-2009, 10:34 AM
7000 homeless.

Healesville should be saved. It was touch and go earlier today and there was a convoy of vehicles leaving the town last night.

Healesville has a very special place in all Melburnians heart - apart from being such a pretty place - it has the most wonderful wildlife sanctuary - and it appears to be spared.

Good news at last :)

laffarsmith
02-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Here's a list of Aussies who haven't posted in this thread, and date of last post...

laffarsmith, January 23

Thank you all for thinking of me.

My family and I are safe (we're in Western Australia so feeling VERY far away and helpless). We are as devastated by this disaster as the rest of Australia. I was concerned for family who live in Victoria but have learned they are safe and out of harm's way for the moment.

I think the most amazing thing to remember is the incredible stories of heroism and compassion. It is tragic to lose so many to the untamed beast and horrific to know some of these blazes were intentionally lit but we, Australia, as a community have truly come together, standing united to fight the fire and do what we can to restore the livelihoods of those affected. I hope, the positive messages will overshadow the darkness left behind.

Thank you again for your prayers and thoughts. I join you all in sending what I can to those affected by fire or flood.

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 01:21 PM
7000 homeless.

Healesville should be saved. It was touch and go earlier today and there was a convoy of vehicles leaving the town last night.

Healesville has a very special place in all Melburnians heart - apart from being such a pretty place - it has the most wonderful wildlife sanctuary - and it appears to be spared.

Good news at last :)

One for the good guyes

Aussie Aussie Aussie
oy oy oy!

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Thank you all for thinking of me.

My family and I are safe (we're in Western Australia so feeling VERY far away and helpless). We are as devastated by this disaster as the rest of Australia. I was concerned for family who live in Victoria but have learned they are safe and out of harm's way for the moment.

I think the most amazing thing to remember is the incredible stories of heroism and compassion. It is tragic to lose so many to the untamed beast and horrific to know some of these blazes were intentionally lit but we, Australia, as a community have truly come together, standing united to fight the fire and do what we can to restore the livelihoods of those affected. I hope, the positive messages will overshadow the darkness left behind.

Thank you again for your prayers and thoughts. I join you all in sending what I can to those affected by fire or flood.

Ah Rebecca :Hug2:

Yes, we do all stand united, and pray that that heat that is due to reach WA does not cause the havic it has in VIC - keep safe :)

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 01:29 PM
ETA: Australian AND New Zealander's cricketers raise over 4 million aussie dollars today for those affected :)

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

OY OY OY!

WE ARE KIWI
MIGHTY MIGHTY KIWI

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 01:33 PM
181 dead

cooeedownunder
02-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Ironically, we have a very large thunderstorm where I live as I type this. Not a good thing I guess, but I feel strangely numb to the fear of it. Our power has come on and off, our house has shook, my daughter cowers under her covers. I am safe, tell her she will be safe, and that tomorrow we will see the sun rise, we live far from danger, far from tradgedy. How many people think those words, and tomorrow there is no more.

I can't help but think at this moment of Brian Naylor, a news reader who reported on what had been Australia's worst bush fires more than two decades ago, but lost his life in these fires, and who famous last words were fashioned from a news reader in NSW.

"May your news be good news, and goodnight."

God bless everyone.

JJ Cooper
02-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Australian cricketers raise over 4 million aussie dollars today for those affected :)

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

OY OY OY!

And, beat the Kiwis.

I'll give the New Zealander's a call out too. They fully participated and were very keen to do whatever they could for the cause (I don't think they really wanted to lose though). They've donated money, helped collect money, sent out their thoughts and prayers, and donated their time and gear for the bushfire appeals. That's the ANZAC spirit.

JJ

regdog
02-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Sending more prayers hope and love :Hug2:

chevbrock
02-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Check me off the list - I am fine.

I can't watch too much of the news at the moment, though. It just leaves me in tears.

We've had some much-welcomed rain here today. I live in a community which has experienced horror like this - you can still see on my house how close it came to going up, then. I didn't live here at the time, but a few of my relatives did.

There's two roads in and out of my village - but one is effectively a sealed fire trail, so if (when) fire comes through here, that road will be impassable. That leaves one road in and out. Last time, the fire crews couldn't get in at all. There was no water pressure. The residents had about five minutes' warning to get out. One man lost his life.

There is a developer who wants to build a mini-suburb on a parcel of land out here, and it looks as though it will go ahead, despite the long and tireless efforts of concerned residents. They think that the provision that each home has a water tank installed will keep them safe.

Sorry - didn't mean to turn this into a rant! There's just so many emotions going through me at the moment - I'm so greif-stricken for those who have lost loved ones. I'm frightened for myself and my family. I'm so angry that beaurecrats are powerless to prevent idiocy and greed. And yet, I'm so proud to be an Australian, hearing of the bravery of our volunteers and uniformed services and how we have all banded together to help out our mates.

chevbrock
02-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Oh, and thanks for lending us Elvis every year, our friends in the US! :)

sissybaby
02-10-2009, 05:49 PM
I've made some wonderful long-distance friends on these boards, several from Australia. I just want to let them know my prayers are with all of you. Australia has always been my dream place to visit, and to know that someone has purposefully caused such destruction and loss of life leaves me speechless. I pray relief is on the way even as I type these few words. May God be with you all.

Trish
02-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Check me off the list too. I’m fine. I love this writing community. I live on the mid north coast of NSW. I didn’t know about this thread until Sissy mentioned it. You people are all wonderful. Bless you.

It’s all so very sad. I still can’t believe it. My heart goes out to all the people that are suffering, mainly the little children and the elderly. I don’t know how they are coping. And the animals too. In Victoria where those people died, there are cattle, goats and horses roaming around shocked. There’s no grass for them now. I don’t know how they will get food to them. Even some of the people are trapped with no food or shelter yet. My daughter in-law’s mother was evacuated from her house. She lives at Kings lake, or should I say she used to.

We have kangaroos and wallabies grazing on our property most days, but the past week they have been drinking out of the dam. They don’t even mind if we’re standing right next to them. They even look at us as if to say thankyou. I’m a member of a wild life rescue and it’s amazing how many koalas have come on to people’s properties looking for water. There’s been no moisture in the trees and grass.

It’s raining very lightly here at the moment, the first rain in many weeks. We had a bush fire not far from us a few days ago. That was suspected of being deliberately lit. Thousands of animals would have died in that one too. It breaks my heart.

It all makes me very grateful and lucky to be alive.

My prayers go out to the survivors.

Yeshanu
02-10-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm glad to hear from those of our members who hadn't yet checked in. Still praying...

cooeedownunder
02-11-2009, 01:32 AM
And, beat the Kiwis.

I'll give the New Zealander's a call out too. They fully participated and were very keen to do whatever they could for the cause (I don't think they really wanted to lose though). They've donated money, helped collect money, sent out their thoughts and prayers, and donated their time and gear for the bushfire appeals. That's the ANZAC spirit.

JJ

Ah, JJ, I just edited my last post. I feel horrible. I will fully admit that my husband was watching the game, I do not like watching it, and quite frankly I did not realise we were playing our kiwi friends.

WE ARE KIWI
MIGHTY MIGHTY KIWI

cooeedownunder
02-11-2009, 02:14 AM
Sending more prayers hope and love :Hug2:

Heather, you are a sweetheart :)

cooeedownunder
02-11-2009, 03:58 AM
Check me off the list - I am fine.

I can't watch too much of the news at the moment, though. It just leaves me in tears.

We've had some much-welcomed rain here today. I live in a community which has experienced horror like this - you can still see on my house how close it came to going up, then. I didn't live here at the time, but a few of my relatives did.

There's two roads in and out of my village - but one is effectively a sealed fire trail, so if (when) fire comes through here, that road will be impassable. That leaves one road in and out. Last time, the fire crews couldn't get in at all. There was no water pressure. The residents had about five minutes' warning to get out. One man lost his life.

There is a developer who wants to build a mini-suburb on a parcel of land out here, and it looks as though it will go ahead, despite the long and tireless efforts of concerned residents. They think that the provision that each home has a water tank installed will keep them safe.

Sorry - didn't mean to turn this into a rant! There's just so many emotions going through me at the moment - I'm so greif-stricken for those who have lost loved ones. I'm frightened for myself and my family. I'm so angry that beaurecrats are powerless to prevent idiocy and greed. And yet, I'm so proud to be an Australian, hearing of the bravery of our volunteers and uniformed services and how we have all banded together to help out our mates.

It is wonderful to see you are safe :Hug2:

Trish
02-11-2009, 04:03 AM
The news to date is 180 dead and more bodies found. Death rate expected to now rise to over 300.

I'm praying for rain all over Australia.

bsolah
02-11-2009, 04:04 AM
In Melbourne, it's actually quite chilly, and it rained lightly this morning. What weird weather this part of the country has.

Trish
02-11-2009, 04:08 AM
The news is telling us that the people who probably deliberately lit the fires are now looting. How sick is that? Hopefully their greed will get them caught.

bsolah
02-11-2009, 04:10 AM
Do you have a link to that story Trish?

Trish
02-11-2009, 04:14 AM
It was on chanel ten news just now. I'll try and find a link.

chevbrock
02-11-2009, 04:19 AM
Just heard that some scum have lit some more, just to keep the overworked firies busy.

I'm sure there is a special place in Hell reserved for this kind. May they find the justice and karma they deserve.

Trish
02-11-2009, 04:23 AM
Unbelievable, Chevbrock. They may even burn in the hell they create.

I have looked for a link to that story about the rising body count, but I can't see it on the chanel ten website yet. They only just announced it on Ten news here on the mid north coast of NSW.

chevbrock
02-11-2009, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the rain, Trish. Now you just have to think, "South, more South ..."

Trish
02-11-2009, 04:28 AM
Victoria could do with some of the rain from Queensland, and I'm sure Queensland would love to send it.

I dread getting up in the morning and putting on the news. This hasn't started out a good year has it? It might make the rest of us realize how lucky we all are though in this economic gloom.

cooeedownunder
02-11-2009, 04:58 AM
I've made some wonderful long-distance friends on these boards, several from Australia. I just want to let them know my prayers are with all of you. Australia has always been my dream place to visit, and to know that someone has purposefully caused such destruction and loss of life leaves me speechless. I pray relief is on the way even as I type these few words. May God be with you all.

Thank you for the kind thoughts :Hug2:

cooeedownunder
02-11-2009, 04:59 AM
Check me off the list too. Iím fine. I love this writing community. I live on the mid north coast of NSW. I didnít know about this thread until Sissy mentioned it. You people are all wonderful. Bless you.

Itís all so very sad. I still canít believe it. My heart goes out to all the people that are suffering, mainly the little children and the elderly. I donít know how they are coping. And the animals too. In Victoria where those people died, there are cattle, goats and horses roaming around shocked. Thereís no grass for them now. I donít know how they will get food to them. Even some of the people are trapped with no food or shelter yet. My daughter in-lawís mother was evacuated from her house. She lives at Kings lake, or should I say she used to.

We have kangaroos and wallabies grazing on our property most days, but the past week they have been drinking out of the dam. They donít even mind if weíre standing right next to them. They even look at us as if to say thankyou. Iím a member of a wild life rescue and itís amazing how many koalas have come on to peopleís properties looking for water. Thereís been no moisture in the trees and grass.

Itís raining very lightly here at the moment, the first rain in many weeks. We had a bush fire not far from us a few days ago. That was suspected of being deliberately lit. Thousands of animals would have died in that one too. It breaks my heart.

It all makes me very grateful and lucky to be alive.

My prayers go out to the survivors.

So glad another one of us is still hanging in there :Hug2:

cooeedownunder
02-11-2009, 05:01 AM
I'm glad to hear from those of our members who hadn't yet checked in. Still praying...

Thank you Yeshanu :Hug2:

cooeedownunder
02-11-2009, 05:02 AM
The news to date is 180 dead and more bodies found. Death rate expected to now rise to over 300.

I'm praying for rain all over Australia.

It stormed here last night, and is currently now...hopefully no lightning will strike someone and yes, lets all send the rain to VIC and WA shame we are not really a tilted country so all the rain north couldn't flow south.

cooeedownunder
02-11-2009, 05:04 AM
Do you have a link to that story Trish?

i have found the best news site is http://www.news.com.au - it appears to be updated at the same time sky news on cable provides information. It has also been in the paper this morning about the looters.

cooeedownunder
02-11-2009, 05:06 AM
Victoria could do with some of the rain from Queensland, and I'm sure Queensland would love to send it.

I dread getting up in the morning and putting on the news. This hasn't started out a good year has it? It might make the rest of us realize how lucky we all are though in this economic gloom.

I always try to think it could have been worst, although that is little comfort for those who have lost so much and are currently experiencing the worst days of their life.

Susie
02-11-2009, 05:34 AM
Lots of ((((((((HUGS)))))) and prayers to all our Aussie friends.

Jo
02-11-2009, 05:45 AM
I'm relieved to see some more familiar posters from Oz turning up. :Hug2:

Here's one link (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25038527-1243,00.html) about suspected looting. And another about the animals emerging from the devastation here (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25038828-1243,00.html). The video of Sam the thirsty koala is worth a view, too: http://player.video.news.com.au/news/?AChOHqKEQmKMfv52qA_TGucgz0BnnYkO

In Victoria where those people died, there are cattle, goats and horses roaming around shocked. Thereís no grass for them now. I donít know how they will get food to them.

There are semis loaded with hay bales going up there at the moment for the animals.

On the news this morning it was reported some people in the flooded areas of Queensland are donating their relief cheques to the fire victims.

With the yearly floods up north, I've often wondered why the government doesn't pipe the excess water from (known) overflowing dams and rivers, south to relieve drought affected areas (like the pipelines from the Murray River to Adelaide, for example). I know it would cost a fortune, but so does the excessive damage each year.

cooeedownunder
02-11-2009, 05:50 AM
Lots of ((((((((HUGS)))))) and prayers to all our Aussie friends.

Hey Susie, you always make me smile :Hug2:

Susie
02-11-2009, 05:54 AM
Hey, coo, right back atcha. Many thx. ((((((HUGS)))))

cooeedownunder
02-11-2009, 05:59 AM
I'm relieved to see some more familiar posters from Oz turning up. :Hug2:

Here's one link (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25038527-1243,00.html) about suspected looting. And another about the animals emerging from the devastation here (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25038828-1243,00.html). The video of Sam the thirsty koala is worth a view, too: http://player.video.news.com.au/news/?AChOHqKEQmKMfv52qA_TGucgz0BnnYkO

There are semis loaded with hay bales going up there at the moment for the animals.

On the news this morning it was reported some people in the flooded areas of Queensland are donating their relief cheques to the fire victims.

With the yearly floods up north, I've often wondered why the government doesn't pipe the excess water from (known) overflowing dams and rivers, south to relieve drought affected areas (like the pipelines from the Murray River to Adelaide, for example). I know it would cost a fortune, but so does the excessive damage each year.

Hey Jo, apart from the few scums who are beyond words, it makes you feel very proud to be Australian. The floods are horendous and may the missery of those affected by them, be relieved soon.

Take care.

Trish
02-11-2009, 06:04 AM
Thanks, cooeedownunder. *Hugs*

*Hugs* for Susie and Joe and all the other posters above. That's a great link, Joe.

Trish
02-11-2009, 06:26 AM
Hey, Jo. That film with the baby koala and the fireman just melts my heart. Thanks for the link.

*Hugs* to that wonderfull fireman and all of the other firefighters.

cooeedownunder
02-11-2009, 06:55 AM

*Hugs* for Susie and Joe and all the other posters above. That's a great link, Joe.

You know, the past few days I have felt a great deal of comfort being able to hear from a few fellow Australians on this subject, as well as those from overseas who have dropped in to offer support. It has been great to not feel so alone and helpless. :)

Susie
02-11-2009, 08:07 AM

((((((HUGS)))))) back atcha, Trish. Many thx. Hope and prayers always.

cooeedownunder
02-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Ah, chocolate lovin sister. :Hug2:

cooeedownunder
02-11-2009, 10:01 AM
I have to say that seeing our flag being worn by our overseas friends has brought a very wide smile to my face every time I see it, and I am sure to the other Australians running into those beautiful avitars :)

THANK YOU GUYS!

Stlight
02-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Thoughts and prayers for all of you human and animal.

cooeedownunder
02-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Thoughts and prayers for all of you human and animal.

:Hug2: greatly appreciated and you like the others wearing our flag brings tears to my eyes, but not of sadness, and I am certain to the other Australians that walk these boards.

cooeedownunder
02-11-2009, 11:17 AM
A few people have mentioned the loss of wildlife in all this. Australia is abundant in unique wildlife known no where else in the world. And it makes me grin when I hear that our country is feared sometimes for that reason. Shark, crocodile, spiders, and numours animals cause very little death in our country in comparision to other lands.

The news just reported that we have lost more than a million of our natural wildlife, as well as thousands of acres of farming land, and the animals that resided on those lands, and in turn a great disruption to the supply to certain areas of vegetables and meat. This inturn will cause prices to rise, in an already doubtful economic time, when like the rest of the world, we are losing jobs.

Ah, but it could be worst...and somewhere else, it most certainly is.

cooeedownunder
02-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Oh gee, more floods in the same flood affected areas. People stranded for months...may they hang onto their lives.

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

OY OY OY!

Trish
02-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Those fire bugs haven't just murdered people - they have murdered millions of small and large animals and birds. That just breaks my heart. It's already broken, thinking about those poor people, but thinking of those innocent animals that can't talk or call anyone for help just blows me away. I see all animals as precious little people. Most are so gentle and vulnerable.

That little koala in the film has been given the name Sam. Turned out, it’s a she. Now she’s Samantha. According to the late news, her feet and nose were burnt, but she’s doing okay and being looked after by a carer. The fireman who saved her went to visit her. She’s only a baby I think they said. Bless her.

There was a man that saved a horse that was standing in a dam. It hasn’t left his side since then. It must feel really scared and insecure.

We had rain today. There seems to be more wild life hanging around homes looking for water. They’ll be able to go back to their territory now. I hope they get rain in Victoria soon.

Calla Lily
02-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Still thinking of you and praying for all of you.

veinglory
02-11-2009, 06:56 PM
I hope you don't mind me doing this on this thread. They were not members of this list but I just learned that two people I know, John and Jenny Barnett, have died in the fires. They were good people. John was a scientist based at the University of Melbourne who worked very hard to improve the welfare of farm animals and Jenny worked for the National Park Service. They will be missed. http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25041961-5018723,00.html

Trish
02-11-2009, 07:19 PM
veinglory. That is so sad. I'm sorry for your loss. What a loss to the world.

regdog
02-11-2009, 07:24 PM
So sorry for your loss veinglory. :Hug2:

Sorry for all the continued loss and suffering, human, animal, environmental. :cry:

Beach Bunny
02-11-2009, 09:26 PM
So sorry for your loss, veinglory.

Bumping this again:

For others:

Beach Bunny
02-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Okay, I've put the links to the various Red Cross Organizations coordinating relief and help for the Aussies in my siggy so I don't have to keep bumping this thread. ;)

Fenika
02-11-2009, 11:03 PM
I've been watching the news. I hope everything settles quickly and all the people and animals can recover from the devastation.

(And yep, that's an Emu eye in my av)

cooeedownunder
02-12-2009, 12:53 AM

cooeedownunder
02-12-2009, 12:55 AM
I hope you don't mind me doing this on this thread. They were not members of this list but I just learned that two people I know, John and Jenny Barnett, have died in the fires. They were good people. John was a scientist based at the University of Melbourne who worked very hard to improve the welfare of farm animals and Jenny worked for the National Park Service. They will be missed. http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25041961-5018723,00.html

So sorry to hear of your loss veinglory - may they rest in peace. :Hug2:

cooeedownunder
02-12-2009, 01:00 AM

I just looked at the article. So many people were lost in cars, when one fellow, a reporter who lived in one of the towns, sat in his car with his family and the air conditioner turned on, and somehow, the fire passed over and left them untouched.

smoothseas
02-12-2009, 01:58 AM

Me, too. Stay safe, all...

Wayne K
02-12-2009, 02:04 AM
Is anyone giving a reason, or at least an assumed reason why these people set these fires?

regdog
02-12-2009, 02:11 AM
Is anyone giving a reason, or at least an assumed reason why these people set these fires?

They're a***holes

bsolah
02-12-2009, 02:31 AM
It's actually emerged that all by a select few of the fires weren't lit my arsonists. It's in The Age.

Wayne K
02-12-2009, 02:34 AM
They're a***holes

You're dead right about that. I googled this phenomenon, and there are 20 to 30 thousand bush fires a year, and the people who do it, do it for thrills or for recognition as the person who called it in.

cooeedownunder
02-12-2009, 05:06 AM

There is no reason, just to become infamous.

bsolah
02-12-2009, 05:08 AM
To be fair, one of the guys charged with arson made a stupid mistake and was not some psychopath. He was using a power tool outside and a spark lit the grass. Again, stupid mistake but I don't think he was looking to kill people or anything.

cooeedownunder
02-12-2009, 05:11 AM
No that is not the same thing.

Two arrested for arson

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25043709-421,00.html

Fenika
02-12-2009, 05:14 AM
There's also the 'I can ignore the fire ban because I'll be careful' type people. urgh.

I'm still sending prayed and well wishes toward Oz.

semilargeintestine
02-12-2009, 05:18 AM
I can't imagine what those operators must be going through right now.

cooeedownunder
02-12-2009, 05:28 AM
They are saying that sometime today they will make an announcement to tell us that the death toll has substancially risen. It has been at 181 for 48 hours now.

cooeedownunder
02-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Hey guys, if you drop in here and feel like a smile? Look what our friends have done :)

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130982

SouthernFriedJulie
02-12-2009, 09:49 AM
I haven't heard from a client of mine who lives out there, not sure what area. He's more like a friend the way we go on about things. Relieved when another friend of mine IMed me to let me know she was ok.

All I can say is: Hold on the best you can, all of you are in our thoughts and prayers.

cooeedownunder
02-12-2009, 09:57 AM
I haven't heard from a client of mine who lives out there, not sure what area. He's more like a friend the way we go on about things. Relieved when another friend of mine IMed me to let me know she was ok.

All I can say is: Hold on the best you can, all of you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Thank you. I have been watching news from around the world all day, and you guys have been absoluty wonderful. I just saw how a town in the US has been hit by a tornado and at least 15 people have been killed. The world is truely a scary place at times, and lets hope we all remain united throughout tragedies.

Darzian
02-12-2009, 12:31 PM
I can't believe this was intentionally done.

cooeedownunder
02-12-2009, 12:43 PM

Not all of the fires, and the two fellow arrested today were set free and not believed to have been involved at this stage. Apart from some that were lit, others started naturally due to high heat and lightning strikes...but there are a couple of places where large loss of life happen that appears to have been caused by arson...sad.

Joe270
02-12-2009, 01:08 PM

We'll have plenty of time to discuss this later. Now we focus on our friends Down Under and keeping their chins up. For me, it's too hard to think of this right now.

cooeedownunder
02-12-2009, 01:21 PM
We'll have plenty of time to discuss this later. Now we focus on our friends Down Under and keeping their chins up. For me, it's too hard to think of this right now.

Gee Joe, I thought you were jo, and jumped when I first looked at your avi and did not see her eyes :)

Darzian
02-12-2009, 01:24 PM
They are saying that sometime today they will make an announcement to tell us that the death toll has substancially risen. It has been at 181 for 48 hours now.

I hope it stays that way. 181 is already a terrible loss. I just saw some of the images and it's agonizing to see so many homes destroyed so quickly. I hope the government helps those affected, and promptly evacuates those who are still in peril.

Joe270
02-12-2009, 01:24 PM
The croc was quick, like most salt-water crocs.

cooeedownunder
02-12-2009, 01:45 PM
I hope it stays that way. 181 is already a terrible loss. I just saw some of the images and it's agonizing to see so many homes destroyed so quickly. I hope the government helps those affected, and promptly evacuates those who are still in peril.

Tonight there is a fire 50klms away from a town not thought of yesterday....cooler wether may assist - and I hope that tomorrow morning won't be as sad as it has been.

Without a doubt the death toll from the fires that has already destroyed many towns will rise...that is a certainty. But I think our government has realised us hearing a death every minute or hours has a agreat effect on the physic of people.

The government will most certainly help, at this stage it has the capability, and the people have raised almost 50 million if that has not already been supased....but spread that out between more than at least 7000 homeless people, not counting the floods and that is not much per person to survive until more funding is found.

cooeedownunder
02-12-2009, 01:49 PM
The croc was quick, like most salt-water crocs.

One of the articles I read today was about crocs being swept from rivers into town streets in Queensland. Despite a massive destruction of housing and thousands of people currently relying on airforce drops of food ect, we are lucky at least, they in Queensland have not lost their lives at this stage...but when you think of it, a few hours of nature at its worst can tip the balance of power.

Joe270
02-12-2009, 01:52 PM
This clip of a Koala was on our news tonight. It brought tears to my eyes, and still does when I see it again. This is a wild animal, which comes to humans for water. These things are wild, will bite and fight any human touch, but it accepts that because it's desperate for help. Amazing, but heart-rending at the same time.

I know it's just an animal, nothing like the loss of human life, but the impact which hit the Australians is sorta represented by this helpless Koala.

I can't help but think this Koala will not survive, with the Eucalyptus forest destroyed, so that makes me sad, too. But I also think of those stubborn Aussies, who might just duct tape fresh Eucalyptus branches to burned-out trees to save these animals.

Damn, ya gotta love the Aussies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do9AoKyjjQg

Kateri
02-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Hi Joe, thought you may like to know that this little girl. is doing great now. I have to tell you, the Fireman's name is David Tree...! She has 3rd degree burns to her feet but is doing really well at the wildlife shelter. Apparently she is with a bull Koala and that is keeping her spirits up.

Kateri
02-12-2009, 03:16 PM
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25038852-661,00.html This article is a hopeful one. we need to keep smiling. Changed my avvie to a couple of galahs. The other AWers who changed their avvies just made my my heart glow. You are the best! "Galah" is Australian slang.

Jo
02-12-2009, 03:26 PM
I can't help but think this Koala will not survive, with the Eucalyptus forest destroyed, so that makes me sad, too. But I also think of those stubborn Aussies, who might just duct tape fresh Eucalyptus branches to burned-out trees to save these animals.

I think we have a few more trees tucked away somewhere for her to be relocated to... :)

:Hug2: to everyone. I can't begin to express how it feels to see so many people, from all around the world, sharing and caring. What a top bunch of mates you are.

SouthernFriedJulie
02-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Apparently she is with a bull Koala and that is keeping her spirits up.

After every disaster there is a baby boom. I participated in the 9/11 Make-A-Babython. This Koala has the right idea. Cuddle up with someone and comfort each other. It's not sex that is important, it is the human contact, so what I want to know is...

Have You Hugged An Aussie Today?

((((((((((HUGGGGGZZZZ))))))))))

veinglory
02-12-2009, 07:05 PM
I doubt there is an Aussie within a few miles of where I am right now, but yall are welcome to a digital hug.

http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/4.gif