Peeved Off and What to Do

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this is the story. I've been doing a website for someone, total revamp. Most of the time I'm working alongside a friend of his, which I don't mind. She's a great person, we get along fine, no deal-breaker issues - until now.

The website doesn't lay out right in Firefox, so I've been trying to figure out how to fix it so that it shows up fine in IE and firefox. She's asked me to fix it, and I'll grant that I should have gotten back to her a little sooner. That was my slip up, I admit it. But because she didn't hear back from me, she had a guy she knows who's a webdesigner go in and alter my layout. And this wasn't just one change, but several changes. It's ruined the layout, and he's changed text colour in at least one place I've noticed. She not only has my email but also my phone number. While I get that she's busy helping to organize his show for next Saturday, in the time it took her to contact Dave she could have called me. And there was no email saying 'Michelle, I need an answer' or from either her or Dave saying 'hey I made some changes'. I found out about this completely by accident.

I don't want to burn any bridges here, because other than this I've enjoyed working with her so far and everything else we've managed to talk through just fine. But I don't appreciate someone a.)tinkering with my layout, and b.)leaving me to find out about it on my own. I'm not getting paid for this work, but this is my time and effort. Time and effort I could have spent looking for paid work. Now I went into this project willingly as a volunteer thing, I had no problem with that. And it's paid off, as I've made some new connections that could quite possibly lead to paid work in the future which is great. As well, I have someone who's got far more experienced now that I can turn to if I need help. So there's been a good payoff. I don't regret taking this project on, but this still burns my butt.

So what do I do? What do I say without sounding like a total b*tch?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
whether you were being paid or not, you (in your own words) were "doing a website for someone" else and were, in the process, partnered with someone of his choosing.

implicit in this is that you are not the owner or the visionary of the output. it is the volunteer analogue of contract work, and while things like credit may be negotiated, the work becomes the property of the person for whom the work is being done.

at some point, due to your inability to make the site compatible with multiple browsers and/or your laxness in communication, the website owner decided to cast his lot with the person who would actually do the work. you have no right, legally or ethically, to make any demands regarding the look or feel that existed when you left it... incomplete.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
So what do I do? What do I say without sounding like a total b*tch?
Unless you had an agreement with her beforehand, that no one else but you should complete the project, I'm not sure if there's much you can say to her at this point. From what you've described, it sounds like you've made out all right and the job will pay off for you.

I'd let it slide; but if you have to confront her, you might want to do so casually, without letting on that you're bothered in any way. You could say, "I noticed Dave finished the website. It looks great. Had I known you were in a hurry, I could've put the finishing touches on the site for you."

Her response should indicate where she stands on the issue, and you could go from there, hopefully without seeming confrontational.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
But does it all still count when the project isn't done? This website isn't complete; there are still sections I'm building and working on. This is an in-progress project, not a finished one. If it were finished and someone changed it after I'd totally agree that I'd have no grounds to complain. But I'm not finished. And probably won't be for awhile due to the volume of some sections.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
But does it all still count when the project isn't done? This website isn't complete; there are still sections I'm building and working on. This is an in-progress project, not a finished one. If it were finished and someone changed it after I'd totally agree that I'd have no grounds to complain. But I'm not finished. And probably won't be for awhile due to the volume of some sections.
Oh, well in that case, all you need to do is bow out gracefully and let Dave take over completely and finish the job. Tell her it was nice working with her, but now that she's found someone else to do the work, you'll be pursuing other interests.

This way, she doesn't have to come right out and say you've been replaced, and you get to drop a project you're not comfortable working on anymore.

Somehow that makes sense to me, but I might not fully understand your situation at this point.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
yeah i can't imagine a scenario wherein you continue working on this project.

walk away.