Alan Moore/Jack the Ripper Experts? Help!

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
"one day men will look back and say that I gave birth to the twentieth century"

Was this a quote from one of the "Jack the Ripper" letters? Or was it written by Alan Moore in FROM HELL?

I'm critting new plays, one of which quotes this as coming from a Ripper letter sent after Liz Stride and Catherine Eddos were killed on the same night. It's been a long time since I read the graphic novel, but I thought that **Spoiler - small print - white type --- highlight to read***William Gull said it during his vision of future London. *** End spoiler***

When I Google, I'm finding the quote but no source.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give or any direction you can point me in.

Reaction score
I don't think it is from the letters.

It strikes me as made up for the movie. It sounds far too articulate to be from a Jack letter and in From Hell I believe it was attributed to Dr Gull. While he was a suspect, of course, no one was ever fingered for the crimes.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It was in one of the letters.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Which one?
That, I don't remember. I went through a "Ripper" phase at one time and read much of the literature on the Ripper case, but it's been a while. Unless I've gotten completely confused, that quotes if from one of the Ripper letters that is more or less accepted as being from the real Ripper. I did watch From Hell at least a couple of times, so it's possible I've somehow come to think of it as a real quote and it isn't.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It doesn't look as if it is.

Ripper letters.

I thought it sounded too articulate to be a Jack quote and it appears to be something attributed to Dr Gull in the film. As he was the Ripper in that movie it could easily have been attributed to Jack when it was merely something said by From Hell's Jack.

(Incidentally that, and the Patrick Bergen (sp?) movie annoy the living piss out of me for all the inaccuracies in them so this misquote doesn't really surprise me. Still, at least FH had Johnny Depp).

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, now I'm confused (won't be the first time). I could have sworn that was an actual Ripper quote.

I still think it's something to do with the actual Ripper case, and not just from the film. I'll have to do more research.

Reaction score
I've googled the shit out of that quote and can't find attribution anywhere but the film although it might have been taken from the original comic book.

It's incongruous with all the "Deer polisman, i et teh kidne nom nom nom" letters. Far too articulate. :ROFL:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I did watch From Hell at least a couple of times, so it's possible I've somehow come to think of it as a real quote and it isn't.

I think that's probably the case. It definitely isn't in the letters.

The postcard that was sent after the Eddowes/Stride murders was the "Saucy Jacky" postcard.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you might be right, scarlet. I can't find a reliable sources that attributes that quote to the Ripper. One even states that a writer made up the line; although it doesn't say whether it was from the From Hell graphic novel, or even earlier.

Reaction score
Sorry if I seem a bit dogmatic about this issue. My (step)dad is an amateur Ripperologist and never banned his books to me as a kid; I was allowed to read them even as a young 'un so I grew up on Ripper lore. Absolutely fascinating case.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Saint Fool, the place you're remembering it happening in the graphic novel sounds right to me. In the movie, it's said to Inspector Abberline.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"one day men will look back and say that I gave birth to the twentieth century"

Was this a quote from one of the "Jack the Ripper" letters? Or was it written by Alan Moore in FROM HELL?

I'm critting new plays, one of which quotes this as coming from a Ripper letter sent after Liz Stride and Catherine Eddos were killed on the same night. It's been a long time since I read the graphic novel, but I thought that **Spoiler - small print - white type --- highlight to read***William Gull said it during his vision of future London. *** End spoiler***

When I Google, I'm finding the quote but no source.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give or any direction you can point me in.

It's a movie quote, not historical. Scroll down to almost the end of the page.

http://www.casebook.org/ripper_media/book_reviews/periodicals/ripperologist.2005-12.html

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if I seem a bit dogmatic about this issue. My (step)dad is an amateur Ripperologist and never banned his books to me as a kid; I was allowed to read them even as a young 'un so I grew up on Ripper lore. Absolutely fascinating case.
That's okay; I'm glad to know what was actually from the case, and what was made up later. I'm just surprised that I got confused about what was real and what was fiction; I'm usually pretty good about those sort of things.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Oh, please be dogmatic! It's great to see someone being serious about the case.

Reaction score
That's okay; I'm glad to know what was actually from the case, and what was made up later. I'm just surprised that I got confused about what was real and what was fiction; I'm usually pretty good about those sort of things.

Johnny Depp has that effect on me too. ;)

Oh, please be dogmatic! It's great to see someone being serious about the case.

Don't get me started! :ROFL:

I once filled a notebook with my theories on the case. I was about 13 at the time. My dad was secretly proud. It must have been roughly 50,000 words...about the most famous serial murder case ever.

Yeah. My schoolmates were playing with dolls and swooning over pop bands. I was scribbling away in my notebook of death.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever read In Cold Blood, scarlet?

Reaction score
I haven't. Jack is my first love.

Wait. Now I sound weird.

I better not tell you my Jackbook had headings like "The coach used to transport Eddowes' body???", "Poison used to sedate victims?", "Possible collaboration between 2 or more killers" and "The royal connection"...

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't get me started! :ROFL:

I once filled a notebook with my theories on the case. I was about 13 at the time. My dad was secretly proud. It must have been roughly 50,000 words...about the most famous serial murder case ever.

Yeah. My schoolmates were playing with dolls and swooning over pop bands. I was scribbling away in my notebook of death.

Were we twins separated at birth?

No, wait. Guess not. You're much more attractive than I am.

Reaction score
I was allowed to stay up late to watch the Michael Caine mini-series. What a load of old toot it was. Lifted entirely from Stephen Knight's book which was itself a load of old toot.

I still have it on VHS...it's good for a trashy night of Jack, though. :D

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Of course, In Cold Blood is nothing like the Ripper case. There's no mystery to who committed the crimes, or what happened to them after they were caught and tried (the state of Kansas hung them). Still, it's well worth reading, even if Capote made up a few things. I think you might enjoy it.

I've sometimes suggested to those wanting to add a prologue to their book that they at least read Chapter 1 of In Cold Blood. It's actually a prologue, and one of the best I've ever read. It sets the time and place very well, and draws the reader into the book.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, does anyone remember the film Time After Time? I'm thinking that Ripper "quote" was in that film as well. Maybe that's where it originally came from.

More research . . .

Reaction score
The ripper casebook site suggests as much, so you could be right...it rings a bell with me, too, come to think of it.