PDA

View Full Version : My cat thinks he's a rooster.

KikiteNeko
02-06-2009, 09:52 PM
The title about says it.

I have a very cute and cuddly little kitty cat who is king of the house. When I first got him at 8 months old, although I didn't know it at the time, he was very ill and almost died. One ultrasound, a surgery, seven different antibiotics, four types of food, two overnight hospital stays and about $3K later he is healthy and happy as a fuzzy little clam-cat.

I can't tell you how many times I broke into tears thinking my sweet little baby was going to croak.

And now I want to mail him to Abu Dhabi first class.

All day he snuggles with me, plays with me, rolls around and shows his tummy, and is an ever-present source of joy. At night he sleeps snuggled against my leg.

But in recent weeks he's begun this new fun habit of SCREECHING at 5 AM. He will do this until I get out of bed. I don't have to be up for work until 7. He has food and water, toys everywhere, my other cat to play with (other cat does not do this screeching thing, although she is awake at 5 AM to watch the geese). I have tried spraying him with the water bottle, ignoring him, throwing toys down the stairs so he'll chase them. I even tried locking him in the bathroom, only to find he discovered how to open the cabinet door. Cotton balls everywhere.

GAH.

I don't know what to do. :( He thinks the water bottle is a game, and if I ignore him, he will just keep at it. Trust me. Yesterday he didn't shut up at all between the hours of 5 and 7. Not once. I am losing sleep, which is a bad, bad, bad thing.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/TomotheCat/mew2.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/TomotheCat/sokkanap.jpg

sadron
02-06-2009, 10:08 PM
He needs attention. I don't know about cats so much, we have dogs...
Can you let him out, does he come back?

KikiteNeko
02-06-2009, 10:10 PM
He needs attention. I don't know about cats so much, we have dogs...
Can you let him out, does he come back?

Indoor cat. He doesn't go out. Probably wouldn't come back if he did. He's kinda stupid.

sadron
02-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Oh. I'm sorry I can't help much. :(

brainstorm77
02-06-2009, 10:15 PM
My cat thinks he is a dog .. He plays fetch and loves to spend time in the shower :)

KikiteNeko
02-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Oh. I'm sorry I can't help much. :(

It's okay. I just need to get the funds to mail him to Abu Dhabi..

KikiteNeko
02-06-2009, 10:16 PM
My cat thinks he is a dog .. He plays fetch and loves to spend time in the shower :)

Yes!! Sokka (my cat) loves baths. I fill the tub with a few inches of water and he wades around, even just lays in it, relaxing. It's hilarious.

brainstorm77
02-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Yes!! Sokka (my cat) loves baths. I fill the tub with a few inches of water and he wades around, even just lays in it, relaxing. It's hilarious.

soooo cute :)

Mela
02-06-2009, 10:39 PM
readjust your sleeping patterns to get up at 4.
I'm serious - there may be no other way. We had the same problem with Katie Belle, may she rest in peace. Wouldn't stop yelling until one of us, usually Marc, got up to feed her. And she would pounce on us too. at 3, 4 and 5 a.m.
go to sleep earlier - get up earlier or throw your bundle of joy out the door.

selkn.asrai
02-06-2009, 10:53 PM
You have a part-Siamese. They yoOoOOooOOOOooOoOwl. :P

We lock our cats in the kennel if they yowl (one) or scratch relentlessly (other) at the door.

is it just me, or are male cats incredibly needy?

selkn.asrai
02-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Also, I can donate three stamps and an aerated box to your cause.

Haggis
02-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Also, I can donate three stamps and an aerated box to your cause.

I can tape over the air holes.

firedrake
02-06-2009, 11:01 PM
This is our pain in the arse. May I just say, you have my complete sympathy.

He starts demanding breakfast at 4.00 in the morning. When he doesn't get it, he goes and picks on our old cat, which sets the dog barking.... room for another cat in that crate?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/geeandtee/Christmas2007002.jpg

brainstorm77
02-06-2009, 11:13 PM
This be my Charlie http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/jackie6977/100_2737.jpg

DaddyCat
02-06-2009, 11:54 PM
http://home.comcast.net/%7Eetrumbo/hostedimages/catgang.jpg

This is seven of my eleven total. Clockwise from the lower left: Dubya, Alison, Ninja, Charlie, Beethoven, Stewie and Basia. Not pictured are Jewel, Tiger, Cosmo and Turbo. Neko, R.I.P. December 17, 2008.

Sometimes I'd like to ship a few of them to Abu Dhabi, if you know what I mean. "MommyCat" and I don't bother with alarm clocks anymore. These beasts are used to being fed at 4:30AM, which means they'll start fighting with each other, jumping on us or knocking random objects from the shelves an hour before that.

KikiteNeko
02-07-2009, 12:04 AM
This is seven of my eleven total. Clockwise from the lower left: Dubya, Alison, Ninja, Charlie, Beethoven, Stewie and Basia. Not pictured are Jewel, Tiger, Cosmo and Turbo. Neko, R.I.P. December 17, 2008.

Sometimes I'd like to ship a few of them to Abu Dhabi, if you know what I mean. "MommyCat" and I don't bother with alarm clocks anymore. These beasts are used to being fed at 4:30AM, which means they'll start fighting with each other, jumping on us or knocking random objects from the shelves an hour before that.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/TomotheCat/0630080801.jpg

The cat in the front, Tomo, looks like the one who'd want to beat your face in, but she's actually like "OMG LOVE MEEEEE PLZ" and is very quiet and sweet and never ever wakes me up.

Now the fluffy pink-nosed kitty showing you his tummy--he's trouble.

Cats. I collect them like McDonalds toys.

KikiteNeko
02-07-2009, 12:16 AM
readjust your sleeping patterns to get up at 4.
I'm serious - there may be no other way.

Hahahahaha.... no, that won't be happening. I'd have to go to bed like as soon as I got home from work. And with the noise in this house while everyone is still awake, not gonna work.

DaddyCat
02-07-2009, 12:29 AM
The cat in the front, Tomo, looks like the one who'd want to beat your face in, but she's actually like "OMG LOVE MEEEEE PLZ" and is very quiet and sweet and never ever wakes me up.

Now the fluffy pink-nosed kitty showing you his tummy--he's trouble.

Cats. I collect them like McDonalds toys.

It's unfortunate that black cats aquired a bad superstition around them, in some cultures anyway. Our two black cats, Beethoven and Ninja, are two of the friendliest and most intelligent in our entire gang.

A change in vocal behavior could be anything from boredom to hearing loss, though hearing loss would be unlikely if it's limited to certain hours of the morning.

KikiteNeko
02-07-2009, 12:31 AM
It's unfortunate that black cats aquired a bad superstition around them, in some cultures anyway. Our two black cats, Beethoven and Ninja, are two of the friendliest and most intelligent in our entire gang.

A change in vocal behavior could be anything from boredom to hearing loss, though hearing loss would be unlikely if it's limited to certain hours of the morning.

No, he definitely doesn't have any hearing loss. He can hear a can open from two floors away. And also, he knows his name, and if I call him he comes bunny-hopping up the stairs.

But yes, my black cat is very sweet and intelligent. She does tricks (I am one of those looneys who bought a cat training book, but it's quite a show!)... When she was a kitten I used to bring her to school with me on a leash, and there was one girl who refused to pet her because she thought it was bad luck.

WFTW
02-07-2009, 02:26 AM
Maybe it's the male cat thing. I had two female cats and never had any problems with them. Had to give them away to a friend when I went to Iraq though. They were fun to have around...always playful.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i51/jasonsgu/KittyKiller.jpg

KikiteNeko
02-07-2009, 02:30 AM
Aww, kittens!! I do think it's a male cat thing. A friend and I both have male cats with very similar personalities. They even came from the same shelter (not littermates though)... My girl cat is sweet as pie and I think I had her for a year before she meowed.

Maybe it's the male cat thing. I had two female cats and never had any problems with them. Had to give them away to a friend when I went to Iraq though. They were fun to have around...always playful.

StevenJ
02-07-2009, 02:44 AM
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/geeandtee/Christmas2007002.jpg

Your cat looks like he's just read one of my stories & is about to give a very harsh critique. :D :D :D He's not impressed. :D

firedrake
02-07-2009, 02:49 AM
Your cat looks like he's just read one of my stories & is about to give a very harsh critique. :D :D :D He's not impressed. :D

Nah, he just et our budgie.

DaddyCat
02-07-2009, 02:49 AM
Based on my gang, it does seem that male cats are more likely to vocalize. Age can be a factor as well. I've had vocal kittens become quiet adults, and kittens who rarely said anything turn into chatterboxes as they got older.

nevada
02-07-2009, 03:07 AM
my male cat was quite vocal but he was a self-feeding cat. he had food out all the time so there was no waking me up to feed him. he never woke me up for anything. just curled up and went back tosleep. come to thinkof it, the dog is like that too. she'll hold it forever. she never wakes you up to go outside in the morning. if i'msleeping in, so is she. she's lazy. lol i

KikiteNeko
02-07-2009, 03:34 AM
Based on my gang, it does seem that male cats are more likely to vocalize. Age can be a factor as well. I've had vocal kittens become quiet adults, and kittens who rarely said anything turn into chatterboxes as they got older.

My little butthead is a year old. He only recently started this crazy meowing at 5 AM thing.. I remember the night I adopted him, he slept curled up beside me, and in the morning when I woke up, he was still on the bed and showed me his tummy in greeting, and I thought "What a great cat! I definitely adopted the right one!"

He had me right where he wanted me.

firedrake
02-07-2009, 03:41 AM
My little butthead is a year old. He only recently started this crazy meowing at 5 AM thing.. I remember the night I adopted him, he slept curled up beside me, and in the morning when I woke up, he was still on the bed and showed me his tummy in greeting, and I thought "What a great cat! I definitely adopted the right one!"

He had me right where he wanted me.

That's what they do, they suck you in and have you convinced that they're the best cat in the whole wide world. Bluey sleeps between Mr. Firedrake and I every night. He never moves, unless it's too cold for him then, he creeps under the bedclothes.

Stlight
02-07-2009, 01:40 PM
He maybe trying to talk to the geese. It’s not as stupid as it sounds. Well, it is for him and the geese. Many cats talk to birds, usually they make little chirruping sounds to lure them closer. Hummm, is your boy neutered? He may have hit sexual maturity which means he might try to escape to run after females.

If it's that get him neutered. Sometimes it helps. One thing it definately helps with is the strength of the smell of his pee and spraying. Ususally, almost always, just the occassional twit who never ... never mind.

Haviang had a huge number of cats over the years, what was wrong with him? I mean that's a lot of vetting, was he in cascade when you got him? And how fortunate he found you.

KikiteNeko
02-07-2009, 02:44 PM
hey everyone.. Well it is 5:44 am on a SATURDAY. Note that I am awake.

Thanks, freaking cat.

KikiteNeko
02-07-2009, 02:45 PM
He maybe trying to talk to the geese. I.

If he's talking to the geese he is dumber than I thought, because there are no geese in my bed, which is where he goes to meow and wake me up.

StevenJ
02-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Try wearing earplugs to bed:

http://www.yannone.org/BlogPics/IWGT/Earplugs.jpg

Ok, so you'll be too deafened to realise that your house is on fire, but at least you won't be able to hear the rooster cat. :D

Stlight
02-07-2009, 02:50 PM
The best thing to do is pretend to not wake up. Of course if, as Steven suggests the cat is trying to tell you the place is on fire, that might not be good. Unfoturnately, most cat words sound alike to us. Maybe the other one would say something if the house was on fire.

StevenJ
02-07-2009, 02:58 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nC3pdAOSBog/SKSywJG9-QI/AAAAAAAABc0/RWXRElk3awg/s400/cat+fire+engine.jpg

:D :D

DaddyCat
02-07-2009, 03:17 PM
hey everyone.. Well it is 5:44 am on a SATURDAY. Note that I am awake.

Thanks, freaking cat.

The little SOB's got me up at 4:20 am. Someone was staring at someone else, leading to a screaming match, things flying from the shelves, cats leaping and landing on my groin. In short, a typical morning.

KikiteNeko
02-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Haviang had a huge number of cats over the years, what was wrong with him? I mean that's a lot of vetting, was he in cascade when you got him? And how fortunate he found you.

He was neutered when I got him. From what I know, he had an okay life before I got him at 8 months old. Health-wise he turned out to have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which is easily controlled now with a special diet. But before we knew what was wrong we tried a surgery thinking he had swallowed something to obstruct his intestines. He couldn't eat and was constantly vomiting. We tried steroids and antibiotics, which only worked temporarily. Eventually I switched to a cats-only vet who did an ultrasound and found the problem. It turned out his intestines and stomach lining were so swollen he was rejecting food. We needed a hypo-allergenic diet. It only took about $3-freaking-thousand for this diagnosis ultimately. And here I was, the a-hole thinking I got a pedigree cat from a shelter for the reasonable price of $150.

I got my first cat from a rescue shelter, and she is such a good cat that I emailed that same shelter when I was in the market for a second cat. The owner sent me this cat's picture and said she thought he would be a good one for me to come by and look at. She originally bottle-fed him when he was a newborn, and then he was adopted at 3 months old. The owner brought him back to the shelter at 7 months old saying that he was too frisky and she had an elderly cat who was being bullied... that owner also came back the next day to say she'd changed her mind and wanted him back, but the shelter owner told her to take a hike. You don't abandon a cat and then try to take him back.

Well he IS frisky but my other cat is young (three) and enjoys having the playmate. They're best friends. They're both happy cats. I have no idea why he rewards me by taking away my precious sleeps.

Stlight
02-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Maybe he just misses you. When he wakes up he's just telling you how much he missed you, and how wonderful it is to see you with your eyes open, and what are you and he and the other going to do today????

emc07
02-08-2009, 11:47 AM
The title about says it.

I have a very cute and cuddly little kitty cat who is king of the house. When I first got him at 8 months old, although I didn't know it at the time, he was very ill and almost died. One ultrasound, a surgery, seven different antibiotics, four types of food, two overnight hospital stays and about $3K later he is healthy and happy as a fuzzy little clam-cat.

I can't tell you how many times I broke into tears thinking my sweet little baby was going to croak.

And now I want to mail him to Abu Dhabi first class.

All day he snuggles with me, plays with me, rolls around and shows his tummy, and is an ever-present source of joy. At night he sleeps snuggled against my leg.

But in recent weeks he's begun this new fun habit of SCREECHING at 5 AM. He will do this until I get out of bed. I don't have to be up for work until 7. He has food and water, toys everywhere, my other cat to play with (other cat does not do this screeching thing, although she is awake at 5 AM to watch the geese). I have tried spraying him with the water bottle, ignoring him, throwing toys down the stairs so he'll chase them. I even tried locking him in the bathroom, only to find he discovered how to open the cabinet door. Cotton balls everywhere.

GAH.

I don't know what to do. :( He thinks the water bottle is a game, and if I ignore him, he will just keep at it. Trust me. Yesterday he didn't shut up at all between the hours of 5 and 7. Not once. I am losing sleep, which is a bad, bad, bad thing.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/TomotheCat/mew2.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/TomotheCat/sokkanap.jpg

What a cutie.. I really feel for you. I have 2 males. I have one that used to meow or yeowl at night, he has since stopped, which is good. I wish I had a definitive answer for you. My cats are older 4 and 7. Actually our female, Gracie is the loudest oh and she scratches under the bed every morning. I have lost some sleep due to her.

Have you asked your vet? Sounds like you have one, since you've spent so much money on your kitty. Maybe stop sleeping with them and close your door? The earplugs is a nice idea. Not sure what else. If kitty has food... then it must be something else. Wish I could be more help. Good luck.

I also have a black cat and he is the most laid back cat I have ever had. I never understood that superstition either. George is my 2nd black cat. The first pic is George with my puppy Maya, then my heart Zeus, and Miss Gracie.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n102/emc072002/DSC01898.jpghttp://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n102/emc072002/n505629364_1170527_788.jpghttp://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n102/emc072002/n505629364_1170524_9925.jpg

cooeedownunder
02-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Try plucking him and see how he feels :D

KikiteNeko
02-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Have you asked your vet? Sounds like you have one, since you've spent so much money on your kitty. Maybe stop sleeping with them and close your door? The earplugs is a nice idea.

Unfortunately closing the door would only make it worse. Then he and my other, quiet, cat will both start freaking out and scratching and meowing to be let in (my quiet cat has issues with closed doors. She could be asleep for 12 hours and the moment you close the door she is up and meowing to be let in). And earplugs, even the super great ones that block out like 95% of sound, are no match for his shrill cries unfortunately. I have these great wax plugs that conform to the ear and they have drowned out barking dogs and city traffic and crying babies, but with the cat I may as well have no earplugs at all.

emc07
02-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Unfortunately closing the door would only make it worse. Then he and my other, quiet, cat will both start freaking out and scratching and meowing to be let in (my quiet cat has issues with closed doors. She could be asleep for 12 hours and the moment you close the door she is up and meowing to be let in). And earplugs, even the super great ones that block out like 95% of sound, are no match for his shrill cries unfortunately. I have these great wax plugs that conform to the ear and they have drowned out barking dogs and city traffic and crying babies, but with the cat I may as well have no earplugs at all.

Wow. I'm sorry. If I think of anything else I will let you know.

HeronW
02-09-2009, 02:09 AM
Oh lord have mercy Tomo! I've the same problem with my Shalimar--and I know it's partially my fault. I started putting out a spoonful of wet food in the am when I got up--10ish for both her and Charlotte. There's a wet food only C. likes so S. would give me dirty looks and I got the right kind of food...and S started whacking the tel and the clock and the lamp on the nightstand at 7, then at 6 then at 5 and at 4 FURKIN AM!!! There's food and water in the office and in the bedroom. I tried the sponfull of wet food--at 4 am, then she'd whack the lamp an hour later...So now I hustle her bustle into the office, add C, and the litterbox, shut the door and turn on the small fan--and sleep blissfully.

I tried the squirt bottle of water--Shal opens her mouth for a drink. Spanking doesn't work--she miaows when I stop spanking her (yes--I've perverted my cat).

maybe the squirt bottle with a T of lemon juice in the water?

KikiteNeko
02-09-2009, 03:27 AM
Oh lord have mercy Tomo! I've the same problem with my Shalimar--and I know it's partially my fault. I started putting out a spoonful of wet food in the am when I got up--10ish for both her and Charlotte. There's a wet food only C. likes so S. would give me dirty looks and I got the right kind of food...and S started whacking the tel and the clock and the lamp on the nightstand at 7, then at 6 then at 5 and at 4 FURKIN AM!!! There's food and water in the office and in the bedroom. I tried the sponfull of wet food--at 4 am, then she'd whack the lamp an hour later...So now I hustle her bustle into the office, add C, and the litterbox, shut the door and turn on the small fan--and sleep blissfully.

I tried the squirt bottle of water--Shal opens her mouth for a drink. Spanking doesn't work--she miaows when I stop spanking her (yes--I've perverted my cat).

maybe the squirt bottle with a T of lemon juice in the water?

My fresh cat loves the attention. If I sprayed him with acid he would probably still come back for more. I've tried giving him a light smack on the backside but he doesn't even get that it's a punishment. He's like "Oh, well good morning to you too! ^____^ meow."

On one or two occasions I've screamed at him. And I mean screamed. He ran the hell away and hid behind the couch. Two minutes later he was back.

I am getting really sick of looking at 5 AM. It is not a time for which I want to be conscious. If he did this at 8, I would probably deal with it, and his constant meowing throughout the day doesn't really bug me.

KikiteNeko
02-09-2009, 03:29 AM
Try plucking him and see how he feels :D

lol! He's a siamese (I call him a siameasel) and sheds a lot, so sometimes I actually vacuum him with the hose to get up some of the hair. He likes it.

Seriously. Nothing pisses off this cat at all. I tried retaliating by meowing in HIS face when HE was napping, and he'd just stretch and look at me like "Oh hai, wanna play?"

KikiteNeko
02-09-2009, 07:13 PM
OMG, knock me over with a feather, he did NOT wake me up this morning!

.... I woke up at 5 AM on my own.

I guess my brain just got used to it. I woke up at the buttcrack of dawn, and my cat was sitting quietly on the floor minding his own business. I quickly stuffed in my earplugs as a preemptive and went back to sleep.

You may think it's hard to be mad at this omg so fluffy kitty face, but my anger skills are higher than that of a mere mortal between the hours of midnight and 9 AM.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/TomotheCat/Untitled-5.jpg

StevenJ
02-09-2009, 07:17 PM

Maybe he's read this thread. :D :D

KikiteNeko
02-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Maybe he's read this thread. :D :D

Guess he doesn't wanna end up in a "Free to good home" box outside the grocery store after all.

Wayne K
02-09-2009, 08:03 PM

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/TomotheCat/Untitled-5.jpg

Maybe he just overslept. He probably had a rough night.

KikiteNeko
02-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Maybe he just overslept. He probably had a rough night.

Funny you should say that. I wouldn't let him nap all day. Usually he naps for like.. 8 hours. But I was like "nuhuh, if I don't sleep YOU don't sleep." Every time he nodded off, I would dangle a toy in front of him and make him run around all crazy trying to catch it. Perhaps that tuckered the little fella out.... Of course right now I am at work and he's probably napping it up at home.

firedrake
02-09-2009, 08:07 PM
My husband prefers the "I'll send you to the violin factory" thread to the box outside the grocery store one.
It doesn't work, obtuse, tiger-striped little git.

KikiteNeko
02-09-2009, 08:10 PM
My husband prefers the "I'll send you to the violin factory" thread to the box outside the grocery store one.
It doesn't work, obtuse, tiger-striped little git.

I'll tell him, "I'm going to get a box ready for you" or "I'll sell you to the chinese restaurant for $3" and he just looks at me like "meow" and pads off.

StevenJ
02-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Gah, it wouldn't matter if my cat was playing the trombone at 2am & wearing knee cymbals - she does as she pleases, as do all cats. :D