NOT and administrator?

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
you will have to forgive some of my writing mistakes for the next couple of days, i will be slightly stonned from my new meds.

i turned the UAC in my laptop (which is running Vista) off. (hey, has any one ever noticed that that has the same initials as the evil science corp. in doom 3?) now, sometimes when i try to download/instal/run programs and such in my computer, it says that i cant, since i am not an administrator.

but i am. how do i tell microsofts new brain child that, unlike the others, was dropped on its head more than once, that i am an admin. (i mean that they all were dropped on the head, and that vista was dropped more... actually i think IE was dropped the most)

and while i am at it, i just set up a wireless network at my home. It normally works fine, but whenever i close my laptop while it is connected, it goes down and throws everyone off. is this vista realated, coincidence, or the router.

the router is a belkin N.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I don't run Vista and I'm not sure what UAC is, but apparently it has something to do with administrative priveledges. It is a safety feature to keep the worms, malware, spyware, and viruses from downloading. This is a good thing.
In XP you need to change your account to 'Adminstrator' then download. I won't bother to explain how, because you're not running XP.
Probably just turn the UAC back on and reboot. but for normal operations, I'd stay away from the administrative priviledges.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Try creating a new administrator account and see if that account has the same problems, or if it's just your current one.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
As for the second problem...is your router connected through your laptop? If so that's why....try just having it set up directly to your modem.

it is just connected directly to my modem. i set it up with my laptop though. when i open my laptop back up it says that i have limited connectivity, and the only way i have found to fix it is to unplug the thing and plug it back in.

i tried to put it as in the middle of the house as i can, and so it is under a desk, hence crawling... i don't like to crawl around in the house, only caves.

I don't run Vista and I'm not sure what UAC is, but apparently it has something to do with administrative priveledges. It is a safety feature to keep the worms, malware, spyware, and viruses from downloading. This is a good thing.
In XP you need to change your account to 'Adminstrator' then download. I won't bother to explain how, because you're not running XP.
Probably just turn the UAC back on and reboot. but for normal operations, I'd stay away from the administrative priviledges.

the UAC is the User Account Control. and it is the number one thing people hate about vista. it crashes your games, screws up your installs, stops downloads, adds another (unbelievable but trues) five minutes to your boot time. every time you try to run a program is stops you and asks "HEY WE DONT KNOW WHO MADE THIS, DO YOU WANT TO RUN IT. IT MIGHT SCREW UP YOUR COMPUTER, when the program is made by microsoft.

hence why i turned it off. it will cut your downloads in two, making it worse, it will get about half way in and stop it. and be like HEY, HEY HEY, SOMETHING IS DOWNLOADING, DID YOU TELL IT TO DOWNLOAD! HEY HEY HEY and your like yes i did tell it to download and then its like OKAY, IM GOING TO PUT THE OTHER HALF IN THIS FOLDER, AND YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO PUT THEM BACK TOGETHER MWUAHAHAHAHA.

Try creating a new administrator account and see if that account has the same problems, or if it's just your current one.

okay, but i found that it goes down when i restart and log out too. so I will probably have to go and crawl under the desk again.

and if your wondering why i have the router under the desk, i found that i cant get reception in the kitchen when i have it on the desk.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
okay, but i found that it goes down when i restart and log out too. so I will probably have to go and crawl under the desk again.

I meant see if a new administrator account has problems with you running/installing programs.

I have no idea yet what could be the router troubles, but if it's every time, it's probably more than coincidence.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
4 out of 5 times.

but i meant that it would be a bit before i could come back.

i didn't do it, but it did it at random so that still doesn't tell me much.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
You might try assigning the laptop it's own IP address instead of having it retrieve one from the router. This can cause connection delays sometimes. Also, have you rebooted your router recently? Whenever the power flickers, my router misplaces it's brain. I have to perform a hard reset (little button on the back) then it behaves until the next power flicker.

There's away (I don't know how but I know it exists) to put Vista in Real Admin all the time. Vista's admin isn't a full admin like WinXp's Admin. That's why even when you're "Admin" it still restricts what you can do. (Probably because some people don't know that running in full admin is like driving without a seat belt.) But I don't actually have Vista. Heh... everyone I know who had Vista is now busy playing with Windows7. ;-)

Try a google search on the UAC and Vista Administrator. I know in XP if you're admin you can Right click My Computer and "Manage" which allows you to mess around with the guts of the User Accounts.

I'm not sure this is all that helpful. Sorry I can't help more, but I like my WinXP and will upgrade only under duress. Like when my folks finally lose the XP CD and Site License for real.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
User Account Control on Wikipedia

It's something you'll have to learn to live with and cope with, unless you want to hork up your system. I am still an old XP fogey, but I do not run as Admin unless I have serious chores (read system hacks or heavy installing) to do when I am offline. I manage most picky installations and such with XP's RUNAS -- which is of course not the same in Vista. Linux systems don't let users play God. Windows used to. Winlusers got spoiled ;)

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I have a program called Sudo that allows me to simulate an administrator while loggged in as a Limited user in XP. I agree with Matera don't expose your computer to the world while logged in with administrator priveledges.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
i decided that i should probably turn the UAC on, but after about twenty minutes of that, i made a new admin account, reduced mine and turned it off. cause it is evils.

cause it asks you not once if you started the program, BUT TWICE! two freaking times!

i would actually like it if you could, ooh i don't know, white list your stuff. but heck, i don't go any where on the net where i am likely to pick up anything.

mainly here.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
User Account Control on Wikipedia

It's something you'll have to learn to live with and cope with, unless you want to hork up your system. I am still an old XP fogey, but I do not run as Admin unless I have serious chores (read system hacks or heavy installing) to do when I am offline. I manage most picky installations and such with XP's RUNAS -- which is of course not the same in Vista. Linux systems don't let users play God. Windows used to. Winlusers got spoiled ;)

wait, what?

i switched from windows 98 to linux, and have been on there the whole time. when you can mod the very programing at whim to make it do what you want, i would call that playing god on your computer.

windows has always had its stuff in a protected folder.

or at least, that is my point of view.