What's worse: your being ashamed of your kids, or your kids' being ashamed of you?

What's worse: your being ashamed of your kids, or your kids' being ashamed of you?

• It's worse if I am ashamed of my kids.

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • It's worse if my kids are ashamed of me.

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • I'll need to ponder this one for a while.

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
This can apply to any kids of any age: little tots, teenagers, and even up to full grown adults who have moved out of the house (or who will NEVER move out of the house).

As a parent, what will haunt your soul more wrenchingly:
-- That they can't look YOU in the eye, or that you can't look THEM in the eye?
-- That people whisper amongst themselves their pity over YOUR anguish, or their pity over your kids' anguish?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any kids but I embarrass the rest of my family :D just by being me.

They all think I'm loony,

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I don't know what it would take for me to feel ashamed of my kids. I don't really comprehend.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
i'd want my kids to be able to look at themselves in the mirror.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any kids but I embarrass the rest of my family :D just by being me.

They all think I'm loony,

To me, there's a difference between embarrassment and shame. I embarrass my kids all the time, and tell them it's part of my job description. :D

But to have them ashamed of me would be truly mortifying for me.

I expect that to have me ashamed of them would be upsetting for them as well, but that's their burden. In fact, it's how I managed to raise them to be wonderful adults without ever once spanking them. All I had to do was say that I was disappointed with their behaviour, and they'd make an effort to change. But I didn't say it often, nor did I need to.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
yes. big difference between embarrassment and shame. not even in the same neighbourhood.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Kids are frequently ashamed, embarrassed and appalled by their parents. Like when the parents don't know the cool music or dress in a certain way or such.

Though, really, it comes down to the act. It'd be worse for the kids to be ashamed that Mom went to jail for peddling meth than for the parents to be ashamed that the kids got arrested for sending nekkid pictures to their high school sweetie. Parents should know better, but the severity of the action in question is also a huge factor.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I could stand to be ashamed of my kids. I think I would feel like a failure as a parent if I ever felt that way about them. I'd wonder what I did wrong.

I could live with it if they were ashamed of me, though. When they're teenagers, they might go through that. Teenagers, with all their swirling, hormonal emotions, could easily have embarrassment morph into shame. I'm okay with that. I'd hope they'd just come back around to me when they became adults. I live my life the best way I know how. Yes, I make mistakes, but I should hope they wouldn't be longstanding, shameful mistakes. Who knows, though.

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
I went with being ashamed of my kid...If you are ashamed of your kid you must have done a bad job in the first place. If they are ashamed of me, well they'll get over it....:D

Reaction score
I went with being ashamed of my kid...If you are ashamed of your kid you must have done a bad job in the first place. If they are ashamed of me, well they'll get over it....:D

Pfft.

Some parents are ashamed of their kids because they deserve it.

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
Pfft.

Some parents are ashamed of their kids because they deserve it.
Okay good point, there is only so much you can do in the aspect of raising your children, there comes a point in time when they take matters into their own hands and decide whether to keep the values you teach them or not. However there are times, when you have to wonder if they learned all they needed to in the first place.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
It's not a black and white question.
How old are the kids?

If I'm ashamed of my kids, it might mean I've failed them somewhere along the parenting road. If I've taught them to be adults, and THEN they do something stupid? Not so much.

If anybody is ashamed of me, maybe I've done something to deserve it. I'm usually willing to look at that possibility. (I do "getting it wrong" really well sometimes.)
But, if not. F* it. I'm only the moral center of me.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
I'm kind of confused by the question. It assumes that we have some sort of controll over other peoples (our children's) emotions and thoughts concerning us.

Is that the assumption you are working off of?

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
My kids being ashamed of me, of course. What other way IS there to vote?

I mean, the only person I can control is me. If I am shameful in some way, it's my own damn fault I don't change.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
What am I, or they, ashamed of? Guess I don't understand the underlying reasoning behind the question.

At the moment, no one is ashamed of anyone, so I have no idea how to answer this.

This is an entirely hypothetical question, and I deliberately left the potential scenarios very broad to allow anyone to fill in the blank with their own potential situation.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm kind of confused by the question. It assumes that we have some sort of controll over other peoples (our children's) emotions and thoughts concerning us.

Is that the assumption you are working off of?

No. The truth is I have been reading about end-of-life issues and finding that the word "regret" comes up a lot in the philosophizing of older people. As far as what exactly it is they regret, sometimes it's what they have done, or sometimes it's what they have failed to do or accomplish (chances they never took).

When they expand the scope of their regrets beyond their own actions and include their children's actions, the regrets take on an entirely different dimension.

Another really deep thing I once had told to me was by my film professor who said: "Most young adults spend their time dreaming about the future. But after a certain age you reach a point where all you do it lament over the past. And THAT is when you are TRULY an old person." That was a very haunting statement.

Now not ALL old people are grouchy old coots who sit around all day grumbling and cursing and simmering in the stew of their own lifetime full of regrets. But some are. And as I have tried to contemplate the nature of such regrets, and even the composition of such regrets, I decided to start asking people about it.

So ... here I am.