PDA

View Full Version : Cat owners: where do you keep your cat's litter box?

underthecity
02-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Some of you may know we're having our first baby in about two weeks or so.

For the past nine years I've had my own "library" in our house, the middle bedroom upstairs. We've kept the litter box in that room's closet all this time.

However, I had to give up that room and move all my crap to the back bedroom into my "new" library. My old library is now the nursery. As such, we're moving the litter box out to somewhere else.

But I can't think of anyplace to keep it.

I really don't want to keep the litter box in my new library's closet because it's smaller and because I want to keep that door closed.

Where do normal people keep the litter box? We have three cats, so it's a busy box.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Mine's in the laundry room/2nd bathroom. You might go ahead and put it in the closet and add a 'kitty door' in the panel. :)

Kitrianna
02-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Any place but the kitchen. That's just ewwww.

I've kept mine in the bathroom or my bedroom, which is where our current one is. It will be moving soon to our new office...as soon as my roommate moves out and I take over his room. :D

Sheryl Nantus
02-06-2009, 05:55 PM
we keep ours in the bathroom - it's easy to clean up if there's any "messes" and you can always blame an "odor" on the cat.

;)

emc07
02-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Either a bathroom or if you have a basement, those are the best. We have 3 cats and that is where ours is. Good luck finding a spot!

Devil Ledbetter
02-06-2009, 06:03 PM
The basement.

bonobo_jones
02-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Basement. I have four cats and four dogs. At least one of the dogs likes kitty bonbons, which is just ewwww. :eek:
I have a cast iron pig that holds the door open enough for the cats, but not the dogs.

If I didn't have a basement, I'd get one of those fancy schmacy self cleaning, ventilated covered boxes. A friend has one for his two cats. You can hear when they use it because it makes a whirring sound as they exit the toilette.

Greenify13
02-06-2009, 06:08 PM
I would suggest as posted by someone above to put it in the Laundry Room if you have a 'seperate' one. I think this would be the best place, or anyplace the baby he/she will not be allowed to be in as 'he' grows. Trust me, my son is a handful and always has been, the best way to go about it, is to remove it from future possibilities...And this way your cat(s) will be used to its new location and you don't have to worry about relocating again or the 'stuffy room' smells....
Most people I know have them in their basements or laundry rooms....

alleycat
02-06-2009, 06:08 PM
I keep my cat's in the utility room off the kitchen, which is also where the washer & dryer and water heater is located.

underthecity
02-06-2009, 06:14 PM
The basement's closed to the cats (too much adventure and dirt for them, as well as danger) and the bath is too small. And all utilities are in the basement.

Hmmm.

Greenify13
02-06-2009, 06:18 PM
I know it sounds a little odd, but do you have a garage? That might work as well...or any enclosed porches? I am sure it is probably chilly and all but we are only talking about 'squat and run'! Idk, I wish I could think of something more....

Yeshanu
02-06-2009, 06:19 PM
I used to keep mine in the basement, but I don't go down there very much, and I didn't clean it too often. Now it's in a hall closet, right outside my office door. The bathroom's a good idea, but mine's way too small for a cat box--it barely holds the stuff needed for humans. :)

Without knowing the layout of your house, it's really hard to say where you should put it though, Allen. Just keep it away from the baby.

And I do hope your wife has gone nowhere near it during her pregnancy--there is some pest that lurks in cat boxes that can harm the baby. (Forget what it is, but cleaning the litter box is one chore pregnant women should not do.)

regdog
02-06-2009, 06:23 PM
We have multiple cats (6) so we have several boxes scattered around the house. In the basement and in 2 spare rooms and 1 bedroom. We use the disposable ones, a little spendy over time but no way am I emptying and washing all those boxes much less, lugging all the litter needed to change those boxes.

Kitrianna
02-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Cleaning the litter box can cause a viral infection called Toxoplasmosis. While not harmful to mom, it can cause major harm to an unborn child. I believe that is what you were thinking of Yeshanu.

Unique
02-06-2009, 06:40 PM
I keep it in the bathroom now. It's kind of crowded but it works.

I did keep it in the kitchen once upon a time - with a nice 'privacy screen' around it. {A long piece of cardboard, strategically folded and covered with Contact paper in a tasteful and color coordinated pattern.}

Yeshanu
02-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Cleaning the litter box can cause a viral infection called Toxoplasmosis. While not harmful to mom, it can cause major harm to an unborn child. I believe that is what you were thinking of Yeshanu.

That's it.

selkn.asrai
02-06-2009, 06:45 PM
We have two cats, and we keep the litterbox with a kitty door in the bathroom. Easy to clean, easy to sanitize, easier to dispel any odor.

Also the only place to put it, because we live in a small apartment.

DaddyCat
02-06-2009, 07:26 PM
We have eight boxes serving eleven cats. Four in the home office, two in the bathroom and two in the bedroom. All scooped at least once a day and changed once a week.

DeleyanLee
02-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Anywhere the dogs can't reach for a taste treat.

Seriously.

Beach Bunny
02-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Right now, it's in a built in cubby hole in my bedroom. It's the only out of the way place I could put it. I wish the cat would go outside so I didn't have to clean it. :rolleyes:

If I had room, it would be in the bathroom which is where I usually put it. Once, I had a second bathroom that was solely for the cats use. I kept the box in the shower stall. It made it easier to clean up. :)

My son's wife has one of those odor reducing covered boxes which doesn't work very well. But, you can put one of those whereever it will fit. You can put an old towel or newspaper under the box to help contain the litter which they ALWAYS get outside of the box, even a covered one. :rolleyes:

ETA: a friend of mine keeps her boxes out on the enclosed patio. She has a kitty door so they can get to it.

Mela
02-06-2009, 08:53 PM
When we lived in a condo it was kept in a spare closet used for storage with the door partially opened
now we have 2 litter boxes for one little kitty cat - both are kept in the basement.
You already know, areas around the litter can get messy, so I wouldn't keep it where you want to maintain a sanitary and clean area.

Appalachian Writer
02-06-2009, 08:56 PM
My kittylitter is in the ultility room. Linoleum floor. Just a scoop and a sweep...until the day I wash the pan. (YUK!) But ... we love our kitties.:D

Kate Thornton
02-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Anywhere the dogs can't reach for a taste treat.

Seriously.
Yes, one of our 2 doggies is a coprophage, too. We make sure the puppies cannot get to the litter boxes. One of the complications of this unsavory habit is having to worm everyone regularly just to be sure.

She just loves the kitties' food - and as it is not good for her, we gon't give it to her, so she seeks it out second-hand. I try to keep her well-occupied with doggie chew treats.

We keep the 2 large litter boxes outside except in inclement weather, when all 3 kitties stay in most of the time. As it is raining here for a couple of days, a litter box is currently in the guest bathroom - door open, all 3 know where it is, even though they all prefer to go out to the atrium to their large boxes if it is not pouring rain.

If you have a laundry room, large bathroom or other place easy to keep clean & disinfect if necessary, that's a good spot.

FennelGiraffe
02-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Three cats, no dogs. And no basement.

I have litter boxes in the laundry room and the master bathroom.

My previous house, I installed a cat flap in the door going from the kitchen to the garage and put the litter box in the garage.

I've seen online (sorry, didn't bookmark the site) someone makes a wooden cabinet that looks like nice furniture, something like a buffet or console, except it has a compartment inside for a litter box and a hidden entrance for the cats. It's kind of pricy, though.

SouthernFriedJulie
02-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Bathroom and upstairs closet. Our bathroom is small but it fits under the wire shelf in there. You could always try removing the door from under the bathroom sink if you have a cabinet type for now with a cutesy curtain tacked over the opening.

I try to keep my dog from the box but with roommates who have no understanding of why a door is partially shut (long gate type latch lock), it is hard. He tries to get their food, too, which is why their dishes are now all under a low dresser.

sheadakota
02-06-2009, 10:42 PM
we keep ours in the basement and away from the dogs-But wherever you move it too, do it in stages so the cats will get used to where their new bathroom is, or they might continue to use the closet it was in even if you moved the litter box

I like the idea of the cat door so you can keep the new closet door closed.

underthecity
02-09-2009, 01:15 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. It was interesting to note how many different places a litter box can be kept. After reading through all the replies, I've realized that about the only place I can keep the litter box is in the new library's closet. I wanted to avoid that, but it looks as though I can't.

I'd hate to cut a hole in the door. I guess I'll have to keep the door open.

HeronW
02-09-2009, 02:33 AM
In one apt. had it in the back corner of the living room, in a 2nd under the sink, in a closet in another place, here it's in the laundry room corner. I had a cat who liked to pee high--in a litter box with a smooth flat top--the bottom had the edge 4" off the ground liquid went down, after hitting the upper wall of the top, into the join and out--a mess. I turned the box over, all 3 walls were high and nothing went out. I taped the old bottom, now the top on one side so I had a flip lid--easy to open to clean, and down for privacy. The lowest end at the door was still 6-7" off the floor.

One way to keep the dogs from the kitty cookies: secure the litter box onto a low table with the entry facing a wall with a max 6" from wall to box. The cats can get up and in but the dogs can't go around the corner. Higher up also saves the back in bending and scooping. Dif. litters can cut the smell: scoopable, newspaper-based, sawdust pellets, 'crystal', etc., so can 'low residue' cat food based on chicken and rice or lamb and rice. Keep cats off milk and milk products so things don't come out loose--most cats' tummies are intolerant with cow dairy products. Ours don't like goats milk either though depending on the type of goat it can have a stronger taste than cow.