The Random Thoughts, Isolated Blurts and Whatever Thread

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Want to share something that doesn't deserve its own thread and doesn't belong in someone else's? Don't be a hijacker or a boardhog, just post it here. If you want. If you don't...well...as the title says, "whatever."

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
My puppy is doing SO much better on steroids. He's actually very buff now, too. LOL.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
My company has been planning it's "holiday dinner" for a few days now and they finally decided on a date. I learned that that is the same date my 6-year-old son is going rollerskating with his class and he asked me to come.

So I put in for a vacation day.

And now work thinks I just made up some lame excuse to get out of the dinner.

:tongue

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
My undies were made in Bangledesh. Er, however that's spelled.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My oldest sister frustrates me no end, and I'd love to rub dirt in her face. On the bright side, I got the chance to explain publishing to my Mom this weekend, after she proudly told me her oldest daughter is vanity pubbing a text book and will "make millions" selling it on the internet.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Ferret, you might not ever live it down, either.
People remember stuff like that. I worked with a guy that notoriously always have "appointments" in the afternoon on days that we have team functions. I tell you what everyone of us knew that as soon as he saw the date of the team happy hour/meeting, he was on the phone fast as he could making plans to be somewhere else! :)

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
I actually have a thread for this that has no other purpose except to "never die."

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I had a miserable night last night, and it is infecting my day today...

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
yes Weren...I know. But some of the longer threads with great big histories are great for the "gotta tell someone" stuff and sort of feel like the "home" thread to some people, but a lot of posters, (at least a few have mentioned to me) if they weren't here say when "the house of love" was created, don't feel comfortable jumping in 30,000 posts later, and "This Thread Shall Die" is sort of a home thread to some folks but it's hard to join in those running jokes etc for some people. This is the "info-dump alternative." ;)

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
dclary said:
My puppy is doing SO much better on steroids. He's actually very buff now, too. LOL.

your puppy if "buff" -- heehee :poke: - sorry, it just looks funny in my head, "that's one buff puppy, you got there, Dave."
eerr...No.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. . . the aformentioned one that never dies is my "home thread" I guess. I tried th HOL when it came out, though it never really stuck with me. Not that I won't go make a quip in there every once and a while, it just isn't my first choice.

Hmmm, info dumping alternative? School is kicking my arse right now. . .

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
The_Boxer_and_the_Pussy_Cat.jpg

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
My washing machine won't spin anymore.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The dentist was able to reschedule our son's appointment. He's so thrilled...

About that washer that won't spin: Just empty the wet clothes into a plastic laundry basket. The load shouldn't weigh more than about 60 pounds. Go outside and spin for a while, then return the clothes to the washer for the rinse cycle.

A. Hamilton

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn said:
The dentist was able to reschedule our son's appointment. He's so thrilled...
Who is thrilled, the dentist or your son?

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
I was watching an 80s sitcom on late-night TV a couple weeks ago and there was a throw-away joke about someone making out with "Sue Ellen Spikowski" back in high school.

It occured to me that, in TV shows and movies, the unseen high school love interest always has a name like that: a classic American first name and an alliterative, multisyllabic last name (and frequently Polish for some reason.) I have only anecdotal evidence, but you and I both know it's true.

Just a random thought... and I guess it makes sense. Names like that evoke a typical Midwestern girl-next-door. Innocent high school love, etc.

BUT! Then I realized ---- I lost my virginity to a girl named Mary Jo M-something-long-and-Polish-ski. Exactly one of those names. A prototypical sitcom high-school paramour.

It was kind-of a mid-f**k. Could it be a coincidence? That this random, odd writing trend I noticed was imitated exactly by my own real-life experience? Or are sitcom writers onto something? Did everyone mess around with a so-named girl in high school? Is that even possible? Are American-born girls of Polish ancestry more promiscuous than other girls? Or do they have a thing for bookish types?

A more sinister possibility crossed my mind: what if those writers aren't imitating lives like mine; what if I'm imitating sitcoms? Could I have subconsciously chosen to pursue this girl as a result of a joke Wesley made on "Mr. Belvedere" fifteen years ago?

Considering the effect media has on our speech and fashion choices, it seems entirely possible. Has anyone not felt their life begin to mirror a TV show and sorta "leaned into it?"

Obviously, this required a great deal of thought and drinking to work out.

Then I figured it out: I grew up in rural Wisconsin. All the girls have names like that.

Duh.

A. Hamilton

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I just realized that Bottomless Cup is a guy.....

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
It still will require a great deal of drinking to work out Cup. I will begin that exercise in 1.5 hours, at which point I will be sitting in a tavern on a bar stool, smoking a Camel Light, drinking a beer of some random sort, and contemplating the name of the girl you lost it to, and whether you were influenced by a sitcom or a sitcom was influenced by you.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Edit: yep, PH...he's a guy and NOT bottomless, from what "MaryJo Mydoessheputoutski" said, he's got a nice ass. :p

Last edited:

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
I have wanted to take a self-defense class or Tai Kwon Do, but I haven’t gotten around to signing up.

I skipped a family party yesterday saying I was sick so I could watch the Bear’s game. I think my lie is coming true, or it’s allergies.