Not open for further replies.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Recently, well in the last few years that is, I've enjoyed using references to other works and writers that I've enjoyed before. For instance, in a book due out this year, there's an obvious homage reference to The Day The Earth Stood Still with a remark about Klaatu Baratta Nicto and being surrounded by troops. In another book, I gave the lead character the name of a favorite sf author of mine. In still another, I've been using some vague references to some songs I liked such as titling one as Love and Darkness. Listen to "Southside" for that one. Yes, I've also used the names of some deceased friends for hero characters to kind of give them a chance at immortality.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
In my WIP (well, that second half of it that's currently on the shelf because the original story was much to large), my protagonists come across an 'ancient' copy of "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" and use Heinlein's techniques to overthrow their oppressors.

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
I put homages in a lot of my books, the sources ranging from The Andy Griffith Show to Escape From New York to Milton Caniff's work.

A recent book, Evil Abyss, was my homage to my favorite I Spy episode, The Warlord. I even dedicated it to Robert Culp, who wrote that episode.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Actually I'm thieving from AW--I've used Poppy Hullings and Snarzler as characters in my WIP. With permission, of course. We've got some very strange and inventive titles and characters right here on our boards. And I admit, I've used Markus as the last name for my hero. Now don't start heaving eggs. My Las Vegas girlfriend appears as the heroine.

Tri

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
I used two of my closest friends in my WIP, in disguise, though. I used their internet personas - "Brian" and "Chris" just don't fit as names in my fantasy world. Thusly, my underdog good guy is "Agriva" and my "big bad" is known as "The Paradoxx" (my friends, respectively). They were used by permission, and know exactly what kind of people they are in the book.

WVWG

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
I do homages at every opportunity! I usually incorporate ideas/names from old school Japanese animation and videogames like Final Fantasy. I also like including stuff from spaghetti westerns.

As folks here get published, please alert us to your homages so I/we can go read them!

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
no clara bow references? for shame. if i remember correctly, she had quite an interesting time of it. were i to 'borrow' a life for fiction, i've often considered hers, but there are plenty of hollywood types who had just as interesting a life and beginning... and downfall, however well-deserved (fatty arbuckle, i'm looking at you).

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
clara bow said:
As folks here get published, please alert us to your homages so I/we can go read them!

Well, in my latest, Children of the Serpent, Kane paraphrases Bart Simpson on page 48: "I didn't think it was possible, but you guys suck and blow."

And much later, on page 337, I give a little wink to the title of a Farscape three-part episode: "We are so screwed," Domi intoned flatly.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
preyer said:
no clara bow references? for shame. if i remember correctly, she had quite an interesting time of it. were i to 'borrow' a life for fiction, i've often considered hers, but there are plenty of hollywood types who had just as interesting a life and beginning... and downfall, however well-deserved (fatty arbuckle, i'm looking at you).

tee hee...oh, yeah, forgot about that! Pretty daft of me. Yes, one of my scripts has a huge homage to her including quotes, pictures, a character who collects her film paraphernelia. Clara's hot!

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
i think there are homages that now border on cliche. sorry, dk, but nikto barrata clactu, or whatever it is, is something i consider along these lines, somewhat like hal's voice and, 'hello, dave,' from 2001: a space odyssey. homages are best (purely in my estimation, of course) when not obvious, such as easter eggs in movies (ala the pod from 2001 in the background of the phantom menace (for lack of having names for certain characters, kenner named the skiff guards from return of the jedi nikto, etc.)). i think blade runner may have had a millennium falcon in the background, which, for me, makes for a good example.

sure, i put homages in what i write every now and then, but they're usually so obscure i don't expect anyone to really understand them. maybe one day if i get published i'll say in the foreward, 'there are x amount of homages hidden in the book. i'll pay the first person a thousand dollars who finds them all.' :)

Wormo

Getting By
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
clara bow said:
I do homages at every opportunity! I usually incorporate ideas/names from old school Japanese animation and videogames like Final Fantasy.

I'm exactly the same!, I love using old interests of mine that I can pay homage to either from a Video Game to a particular story and also using story characters in Video Games

Status
Not open for further replies.