Oh. Well. That was a surprise...

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
One of my manuscripts has been in an editor's hands for a while, and she asked me to e-mail her if I didn't hear back by a certain date. The date passed, so I e-mailed. Last night, I came home (LATE) and decided to check my e-mail...finding an e-mail from her saying "almost done, you should hear back by Monday, etc". I shot a message back saying "no problem, etc etc".

Then I get another message, with an added comment about "Ah, another night owl, I see." So we start shooting the breeze.

Now, I'm on vacation - I'm in Seattle, though I live in Japan. And wouldn't you know? SHE is in Seattle.

So she wants to have lunch. To discuss my manuscript.

She told me up front that she can't publish it "the way it is now", but that she wants to discuss what needs to be done so that they can. She likes the story, she called it a well-written manuscript...but didn't go into detail via e-mail about what needs to be changed.

I have NO IDEA where this is going to go...but an editor wants to have lunch to discuss my manuscript. Holy. Hell. I'm assuming she doesn't want to have lunch so she can tell me I need to set it on fire and never let it see the light of day again.

And I will now suffer from insomnia and elevated blood pressure until I see her.

Reaction score
Someone PLEASE tell this woman who was stressing to me by email and on MSN last night that NO EDITOR lunches with someone they're about to bin if they have no other commitment or obligation to them.

StevenJ

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.salvatorepublishing.com
Someone PLEASE tell this woman who was stressing to me by email and on MSN last night that NO EDITOR lunches with someone they're about to bin if they have no other commitment or obligation to them.

Yes, Your Sockiness...

NO EDITOR lunches with someone they're about to bin if they have no other commitment or obligation to them.

:D Well done, Lori, I really hope it goes very well for you. :)

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
That's awesome news!! Congrats and I concur, they wouldn't meet with you if they weren't interested. It's obvious they see some real potential and probably want to see if you're open to revisions.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
I understand the inner pessimist, by sp is right -- she's not having lunch to let you down easy. Or hard. She's having lunch because she's interested.

(Impudent frequent Seattle-visitor question - where are you having lunch?)

Reaction score
Clearly, there is a HUGE market for fulthprawn in the States these days.

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
Wow, this is awesome. Good luck. This means she's very interested, and I bet she wants to discuss revisions.

Reaction score
Why? They're not going to be making out later...uh, are they? I mean, that's not how most editor lunches go, is it?

Given the fact it's Lori and the nature of the book she's written, I wouldn't be too surprised.

Reaction score
I so love the PM thethinker42 just sent me.

I, too, am going to die of LOL.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
The update:

She likes it - it isn't quite what she wants to publish, BUT she gave me a whole list of things that could be changed to make it what she wants. She loves my characters, the story line, etc...and the changes won't "damage" the story in the slightest. We had a great conversation, great lunch, all in all it rocked.

The biggest issue?

*snerk*

It needs more sex.

Roger that! I'm on it...

Reaction score
Good Christ above.

An editor told Lori to put more smex in her book.

MOAR SMEX!

I ask you.

Gerronwi gerrin' it smexed up!
Hitler.jpg

Reaction score
This is seriously the besterest G&A thread I've read in all my time on this site.

This is...like...a pervert's dream come true.

"Your erotic romance? Not enough smex. Moar smex, we talk. Y'dig?"

Or something.

Creezus Jeist.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
And here I was holding back a bit because I thought it was bordering on too much smex. Now I get to pull out all those scenes I cut because I thought "Hmmm, might be a bit over the top".

I've died and gone to Pervadise.

Reaction score
Hahahhahaha I wish I'd kept all those MSN convos that went:

Lori: Will you read this chapter and tell me if there's too much smex in it?

Me: *Reads* SEND MOAR NAO!

Lori: I think I'll take out that scene with the ****** and the ****** of *******. It might be a bit much. And I should probably tone down the *** *** *** on the ******.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Hahahhahaha I wish I'd kept all those MSN convos that went:

Lori: Will you read this chapter and tell me if there's too much smex in it?

Me: *Reads* SEND MOAR NAO!

Lori: I think I'll take out that scene with the ****** and the ****** of *******. It might be a bit much. And I should probably tone down the *** *** *** on the ******.

Well...rest assured...there will now be moar ***, *** *** ***, and *******.

This is officially the best "please revise" I've ever received. Technically it's the only one...but I don't think anything will ever top this.