PDA

View Full Version : Lust

Stunted
02-05-2009, 02:11 AM
Hey guys, I was just wondering how you would go about portraying lust tastefully in a young adult novel. I don't mean "Oh, he was so handsome in the moonlight" I mean, "Oh man, I just want to ****** this guy...." Just pure, adolescent lust. Does anyone have any suggestions?

scarletpeaches
02-05-2009, 02:14 AM
Lust isn't tasteful, that's the point. Just say "Oh man, I just want to **** this guy."

Without the '****s' of course. ;)

Sage
02-05-2009, 04:01 AM
Oooooorrrr....

You can do it through how they interact. Chemistry in dialogue goes a long way. Touching. It doesn't even have to be sexual, but the way the characters touch can tell you a lot about their feelings. And there are plenty of things a character can think that tell us that they want to kiss --> have sex with another character.

Red.Ink.Rain
02-05-2009, 04:03 AM
"Damn."

That phrase goes a long way toward describing what someone's feeling in the way of lust. :D

Zoombie
02-05-2009, 04:07 AM
Read "Love Sucks" by Sage.

:D

nayner
02-05-2009, 12:17 PM
IMO, i don't see what's wrong with "I just want to **** that guy" using the **** and everything. but that's just the way I write. *shrug*

cindystubbs
02-05-2009, 12:29 PM
He wanted to hold her, he felt her breath on his cheek, little details like this I would think. Read a lot of young adult I would think. Tenderness.

wandergirl
02-05-2009, 10:16 PM
It allllll depends on your character. My protagonist would never say that. She's ultra-shy and just discovering herself -- but that doesn't mean she's not feeling lust. There are ways of writing about intense sexual attraction in a way that makes us feel it ourselves. If someone says, "I want to *$&$# him"... I feel nothing.

MissKris
02-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Easy. Write that her nipples stand at attention whenever he's around.

brainstrains
02-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Whatever you do, don't put the word "LUST" in your title. I was asked to reconsider my title by a certain bookstore chain. :)

Sage
02-05-2009, 10:44 PM
It's also a matter of show vs. tell (comes back to haunt us all, I know). "I want to **** him" is very much a matter of telling. Now sometimes telling is totally okay, and if your character thinks that sort of thing so matter-of-factly, go for it. If there are other ways to show a character's lust for another--looks, touches, thoughts, etc.--that are more appropriate for the character, go with them. And nobody says the matter-of-fact character can't also show us through other means too :)

Zoombie
02-05-2009, 11:00 PM
My character shows his lust for his love interest by skinning hookers alive.

But I don't think that's a great way to do it for a non-my-characters.

Listening to Sage is also a great way to learn how to do things. Really, though, the BEST way to show a SPECIFIC and non generalized character's lust is to sit down and have a matter of fact, "birds n bees" discussion with them. See what your characters think and how they'd think they would act.

My character would try and dissect me. Which is why I only talk to him through bullet proof glass.

wandergirl
02-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Whatever you do, don't put the word "LUST" in your title. I was asked to reconsider my title by a certain bookstore chain. :)

I recall hearing the title "Fairy Lust" floating around the internets. So you're the author? And they made you change the title? That's sort of insulting and hilarious at the same time.

jmascia
02-06-2009, 12:55 AM
I'm not sure showing lust though dialogue is the way to go. I would, however, put it into the characters inner thoughts. I mean, "Damn that guy is so hot I just wish I could ___" Fill in the blank.

However, I do have to agree that there is absolutely nothing tasteful about lust.

kuwisdelu
02-06-2009, 01:14 AM
She can take his clothes off with her eyes.

She can do creative things with a pillow.

She can do less creative things with her hands.

She can get flustered around him while trying to impress him.

She can imagine him touching her. Anywhere. Or everywhere.

She can "accidentally" bump into him or brush his ass.

She can steal his clothes because they smell like him.

She can imagine . . . lots of things.

saeglopur
02-06-2009, 01:24 AM
Maybe this seems crazy but I always enjoyed reading lust manifested by avoidance of the subject being lusted after. Perhaps this is because I am mentally a fourteen year-old girl ;)

But seriously, I like when someone loses themselves completely around the person they're in-lust-of. Becomes the polar-opposite of what they think they are. I fill in the blank and it's exciting. Especially in YA. Maybe I'm thinking too innocently about this? Perhaps, but that's just how I like to read it. The sort of thing that is never mention, but the reader is following these two characters thinking "oh damn something better happen between these two soon".

Red.Ink.Rain
02-06-2009, 01:41 AM
I agree, saeg. The interesting thing about lust (or love) is that it makes people act a little drunk. I like the avoidance thing too...read "City of Bones" or "City of Ashes" for the BEST avoidance-lust every. :D

Zoombie
02-06-2009, 02:27 AM
I loooooooooooove how Kuwi thinks.

And how he looks.

<_<

>_>

<grabs a pillow>

scarletpeaches
02-06-2009, 02:28 AM
*grabs Zoombie*

Man, I love this thread.

And I love you guys.

saeglopur
02-06-2009, 05:38 AM
I agree, saeg. The interesting thing about lust (or love) is that it makes people act a little drunk. I like the avoidance thing too...read "City of Bones" or "City of Ashes" for the BEST avoidance-lust every. :D

Absolutely! I am right in the middle of experiencing this. My lust object... I become a total moron around him. I laugh at all the wrong times, and I say everything wrong, and more often than not, I walk straight past him without saying hello or even looking at him, while he stands there waving and confused. But I love this weird interaction and I love reading about it.

I've never read either of those books but will definitely check them out.

Red.Ink.Rain
02-06-2009, 06:47 AM
They're sort of my guilty pleasure. :) The kind of books where you're like, "Aha! This is so predictable. The pretty girl's going to fall for the pretty boy and they're going to live happily ever after..." And then NOTHING is what you expect. Muhahaha.

Here's an awesome fan-trailer for the first book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl9vsRisEKU

(Yeah, I'm weird - I don't post summaries, I post fan trailers. *shrug*)

kuwisdelu
02-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Maybe this seems crazy but I always enjoyed reading lust manifested by avoidance of the subject being lusted after. Perhaps this is because I am mentally a fourteen year-old girl ;)

Alternatively, you can simultaneously follow the subject around AND avoid them. I swear it, stalking can be cute when you're fourteen!

But seriously, I like when someone loses themselves completely around the person they're in-lust-of. Becomes the polar-opposite of what they think they are. I fill in the blank and it's exciting. Especially in YA. Maybe I'm thinking too innocently about this? Perhaps, but that's just how I like to read it. The sort of thing that is never mention, but the reader is following these two characters thinking "oh damn something better happen between these two soon".

I like that, too. It's one of my preferred interpretations when I said "flustered."

saeglopur
02-07-2009, 02:21 AM
I think flustered is the perfect description for it.

Zoombie
02-07-2009, 06:28 AM
Stalking is not cute when you're a 100 year old vampire.

Remember this.

Red.Ink.Rain
02-07-2009, 07:01 AM
*huggles Zoombie*

You are my hero.

Zoombie
02-07-2009, 09:33 AM
werewolves are much more obvious. They start sniffing a bit, their ears perk up, and they start to waggle their tails.

Cause werewolves are cute.

saeglopur
02-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Stalking is not cute when you're a 100 year old vampire.

Remember this.

So long as the 100 year old vampire is cute, stalking could be cute...

saeglopur
02-13-2009, 10:31 AM
They're sort of my guilty pleasure. :) The kind of books where you're like, "Aha! This is so predictable. The pretty girl's going to fall for the pretty boy and they're going to live happily ever after..." And then NOTHING is what you expect. Muhahaha.

Here's an awesome fan-trailer for the first book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl9vsRisEKU

(Yeah, I'm weird - I don't post summaries, I post fan trailers. *shrug*)

Sorry I've been gone for a while, but I will certainly check this out. Thanks for the tip.

Poetoffire
02-27-2009, 08:56 PM
No. Stalking is never cute when you're an 100-year-old vampire. NEVER.