PDA

View Full Version : What four top agents love in a query (and what they hate)

MelodyO
02-05-2009, 12:36 AM
There's a great interview with Julie Barer, Jeff Kleinman, Renee Zuckerbrot, and Daniel Lazar in this month's Poets & Writers. As always, it's fun and enlightening to get insider information from the people we're querying.

LAZAR: If any of my clients ever win a National Book Award or a Pulitzer Prize, nobody's ever going to know it because I will go down in history as the agent who sold Scared of Santa.
Here's the full article. (http://www.pw.org/content/agents_and_editors_qampa_four_young_literary_agent s)

And here's Scared of Santa (http://www.amazon.com/Scared-Santa-Scenes-Terror-Toyland/dp/0061490997/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233779526&sr=8-1). :D

selkn.asrai
02-05-2009, 12:41 AM
Yes, I read this article a few weeks ago in hard copy. V. informative. Also quite interesting, to see the people behind the names we all query.

Thank you for posting the link. :)

MelodyO
02-05-2009, 01:04 AM
You're so welcome! It's almost a relief to see how they're human just like us, with horror stories of best-sellers they passed up, or how it crushes them to have an author go with a different agent. I mean, I always knew they were human...but a little part of me tended to imagine them as Greek gods sitting on clouds waiting to see which mortal they were going to screw with next. Hee.

selkn.asrai
02-05-2009, 01:27 AM
I think there was actually a thread on it, in which another AWer brought it to the writer's attention that Kleinman may have referred to his MS.

Kitty Pryde
02-05-2009, 01:33 AM
I think there was actually a thread on it, in which another AWer brought it to the writer's attention that Kleinman may have referred to his MS.

Oops! You're right! I read that thread too, but I hadn't seen the article til today...

MelodyO
02-05-2009, 01:39 AM
Oops, I didn't see that thread until now either. I guess AW really is where all the cool kids hang out. ::puts on shades in case an agent drops by::

Deccydiva
02-05-2009, 02:15 AM
I wonder if the same applies to agents in other countries? As we don't all query American agents? Just wondered. :)

nevada
02-05-2009, 04:28 AM
So basically, we can shut AW down and just link it to that article because they talked about everything. i mean Everything anyone ever asks here. Fantasic article. thanks melody. :)

Pamster
02-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks for posting this! :D

MelodyO
02-05-2009, 09:07 PM
I wonder if the same applies to agents in other countries? As we don't all query American agents? Just wondered. :)

I think every agent in the world is a unique snowflake, and should be treated on a personalized basis...but no stalking. Hee.

MelodyO
02-05-2009, 09:09 PM
So basically, we can shut AW down and just link it to that article because they talked about everything. i mean Everything anyone ever asks here. Fantasic article. thanks melody. :)

I know, right? Little did we know that all you have to do to find out all the agent secrets is to get them drunk and ask them. Makes sense, though.

Also, HI NEVADA! ::waves like mad::

stormie
02-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Good article. Thanks for the link. :)

Wayne K
02-06-2009, 04:22 AM

They don't have our wit and good looks.

Henri Bauholz
02-07-2009, 08:57 AM
I agree, it was a good read and very informative. Since that piece came out another writer mag has followed suit with a similar interview with five agents, one of whom was Julie Barer. I'm not sure which magazine it was, but I liked the P & W article better. It was more informative.

RobJ
02-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the link, MelodyO.

Cheers,
Rob