Status
Not open for further replies.

samcollie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.swansonwriting.com
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has gotten involved in teaching writing, either through continuing education or college/university. I know you typically need an MA or MFA, but beyond that, what else has helped you get started? How did you get the first teaching job?
Thanks.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I taught a writing class at a college one year, but that was it. My girlfriend is finishing up her MAT for English 6-12; hearing her describe what she has to put up with during school has made it clear to me that I could never be a high school teacher.

Deleted member 42

I've taught technical writing, business writing, and various sorts of compositions/writing about literature classes at colleges and universities.

I started teaching as a graduate student. If you're thinking of teaching fictive/poetry writing, publishing credits--really really good ones--are more important than an MFA.

There are tenure-track jobs in composition-rhetoric, but it's one of the most difficult sorts of teaching, without a lot of reward from the profession in terms of advancement and tenure.

Status
Not open for further replies.