Stephanie "I'm a (insert last name), not a Meyer!"

adarkfox

designs books | writes books
Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap, this question goes out to any other Stephanies out there, and may the rest of you giggle at the plight. Growing up with the name Stephanie, I was used to having my name misspelled, or being asked to spell it (perhaps an early development for my spelling nazism?) I am a Stephanie. I've been asked if I was a Steffanie a lot.
But now, suddenly I get spelled STEPHENIE. My witty response is that I'm a Fox, not a Meyer... but seriously? Anyone else out there experience this strange phenomenon? Did I miss the memo that we were to report to the court system and change our spellings or something?
:Soapbox:

*end rant* LoL

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
you know, i believe i saw somewhere that stephenie herself has complained about the spelling of her name. so maybe, just maybe, you could persuade her to change the spelling of her name. huh? good idea or what? she's obviously outnumbered, spelling wise. :D

Atani

Registered
Reaction score
In the backwoods, literally...the tiny country tow
Never heard of Stephanie being a name that's often problematic. My sister-in-law is a Stephanie, and she hasn't mentioned it.

Course, I've always been a Lauren. You'd think that's an easy one, but nearly no one gets it right. On the phone or even in person I've been called (phonetically of course), Laura, Laurie, Laurianne, Louanne, Laurene, and I don't have an accent, so I don't get how people don't understand clearly. Seems strange since it's a pretty common name these days. Oh well, guess we all have issues with our names sometimes :)

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I can relate some and sorry they misspell your name. My name is susie and folks spell it, sooz, sooze, suzi, suzie, suezi, suse, suzanne, sueann, etc. but I actually like it. I luv the spelling sooz and suse the best.

adarkfox

designs books | writes books
Registered
Reaction score
Soo-Z has gotta be your rap artist name ;)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Susie, you could just say "Like Nazi, only with two s's, and an e at the end."

Now that this thread has been Palinized Godwinized...

Benjamin is never misspelled, I suppose because it's on the $100 dollar bill under the pic of that Franklin dude who's a dead white man, but was never President. Then there's Bradley, a common enough name I share with, I forget, a (former?) mayor, at least two reporters (RIP Ed), and perhaps a few of others in the public eye.

But I've received at least two emails in the last 13 years asking if I'm the Ben Bradley who was editor of the Washington Post when Woodward and Bernstein broke the Watergate case. I just patiently and politely answer no, he's about 30 years older than me (and still going strong, last I heard a year or two ago), and he spells his last name Bradlee.

But my (newer) sister-in-law is a Cyndi.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Susie, you could just say "Like Nazi, only with two s's, and an e at the end."

Hey, I could use this for Joe, too. "Like Nazi, only with a J and no Z, and an OE at the end."

Nice one, Ben.

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My last name has 5 vowels in it and starts with 'La.' When younger, I got tired of hearing my name butchered and answered immediately when I heard a pause after La. So I'm used to being called Tim La, Timothy La, Timothy Paul La (say that one out loud and it's easy to see why it's not my favorite), etc. Comes in handy when telemarketers call. May I speak with Mr. Timothy La ... My cue to hang up.

Neurotic

Militant apathist
Registered
Reaction score
Katherine, Kathryn, Catherine. That's about all I get. And because the different spellings are so common, I've learned to just say Katherine with a K and an e-r-i-n-e.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
You could be me. I'm Kim. Not Kimberly, not Kimberley, not Kimber just Kim. And there's always the old tired joke because my surname is Clark:

"Oh hehehe...do you own the diaper company."

"No, I'm Kim not Kimberly."

"Hehe...it's just so funny."

yeah like I haven't heard it a bazillion times already and it wasn't even funny the first time.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
My name will virtually never ever get confused with any other, though I do have to spell it for virtually anyone.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
You could be me. I'm Kim. Not Kimberly, not Kimberley, not Kimber just Kim. And there's always the old tired joke because my surname is Clark:

"Oh hehehe...do you own the diaper company."

"No, I'm Kim not Kimberly."

"Hehe...it's just so funny."

yeah like I haven't heard it a bazillion times already and it wasn't even funny the first time.
Just so we're on the same page, your name, Kim, might be easy to spell, but hot damn if I don't have to scroll back and forth when trying to remember how to spell Casseopia...Caseoppia...Casseopiea...
*&^%$#!$%^& !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flag:

Last edited:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Just so we're on the same page, your name, Kim, might be easy to spell, but hot damn if I don't have to scroll back and forth when trying to remember how to spell Casseopia...Caseoppia...Casseopiea...
*&^%$#!$%^& !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flag:
aww poor Inky, me galpal. That's what spell check is for. ;)

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Boy, does this thread make me proud of my parents. They done good. :D