When is a page not a page?

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm shocked, to say the least. In fact, I feel shattered. I've recently started using Celtx to write my film script and I'm sticking religiously to the preachings of the Screenwriters' Bible. So I thought I was getting on well. I'd even thought of posting a sample to SYW.

Then I found a tool in the software I hadn't seen before. I'd been hitting 'print prieview' to get a page count and, after a lot of cruel editing, I'd reduced the size of the script to 104 pages. Then I ticked the 'paginate' box I'd just found, so I could see where to add 'continued', and it tells me there are 184 pages!

I'm shattered. This is surely not right. Can someone help me please. Tell me paginate is wrong. I can't keep dismembering my baby!

priggy

Registered
Reaction score
i don't know what paginate box your talking about as i'm using celtx and i haven't found it, i use the typeset tab at the bottom of the screenplay page. I think thats your print preview you talk about.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
i don't know what paginate box your talking about as i'm using celtx and i haven't found it, i use the typeset tab at the bottom of the screenplay page. I think thats your print preview you talk about.

I went in via Script>Format Options>(then, when I hadn't used the typset tab) I ticked 'paginate' and 'show page #s'.

Your method is the better one, thanks, Priggy. It can count!

Thank you so very, very much. You've saved my day (and my year, possibly). I just wouldn't have been able to slice my script in half.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
The problem I have with Celtx is when I go into print preview (File>Print Preview), it makes these weird page breaks in random places, and I can't figure out why. Any tips?

Bluegate

Clearly has too much time on hand.
Registered
Reaction score
What is this? Some kind of stalker question?
I don't know where this paginate button is. I've never seen it. I'm thinking just print it out and that's your page count. I have printed in this program and the typeset page number is the same number it prints out.

Now move away from the delete button and hit print instead.

good luck.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I just realized that the print preview only does the weird page breaks when I hit "paginate". Regular print preview drops my page count by a few. That's so strange.

Bluegate: If you go to Script>Format Options, you'll see a choice that says "Paginate" or something like that.

priggy

Registered
Reaction score
The problem I have with Celtx is when I go into print preview (File>Print Preview), it makes these weird page breaks in random places, and I can't figure out why. Any tips?

I don't have print preview, possibly because i have the mac version.

Bluegate

Registered
Reaction score

Are you going to typeset first? I just opened a file in Celtx and if I go straight to print preview the way I might in a Word doc it makes those weird page breaks, it also loses the margins. Just go to typeset down there on the bottom of the window and it will break it up where it should and keep all the margins and actual page count.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I discovered typeset a few minutes after I started using it. I forgot that you can save it as a PDF and just print it from there.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
From an oldtimer, it's a good idea to print out the wip at some point to see if what you think you have is what you actually have.

I print out copies constantly and hand edit them, but I start from hand written notes anyway, but doing everything on a computer isn't gonna give you the presentation which you will submit to readers.

You have to print out the stuff to double-check that it will look like you want it to, not like you expect it to look.

Bluegate

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Semilarge. I don't think I would have ever found it.:D

Joe270 I agree with your methods. I have had to many mishaps with lost data to not make hard copies from time to time. I also find it a helpful distancing trick to edit on the paper instead of the screen. Sometimes you really do need to see the work the way someone else will.

Last edited:

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Sometimes you really do need to see the work the way someone will.

Exactly. Also, on set you will make corrections to a printed copy of the script, so it will help to have a comfortable method to make changes to a printed page.

No matter what this current generation thinks, Hollywood works on printed pages, it's how movies, etc are shot, and it's what makes the biz work.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I plan on doing that pretty regularly. It's fine to edit on the computer, I think, but your final edit at least should be on paper, because you will most likely notice things on the hard copy that you wouldn't have noticed on screen. Computers have a weird way of tricking you into thinking everything is okay.

priggy

Registered
Reaction score
I think reading and editing on paper is important - i think if you read it so many times on a certain format then you get used to it and you don't see it for what it is.

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
Q&A on Celtx Forum

Celtx has several forums that are worth participating in.

This very same question came up there less than two months ago.

Here is the essence of what was said:

Q: If I look at my scripts in Print Preview mode sometimes, there is like a page break that separates one section from another.

A: Use TypeSet to generate your Preview and PDFs of your script from Celtx. It's a better formatted version of your script that the editor can provide.