External hard drive

nehama

Registered
Reaction score
You might remember that I was having problems with my Macintosh computer, an old G4 with only 1GB of RAM and a hard drive with 40 GB, of which only about 7GB was still available. Whenever my documents approached 1MB things went crazy. It's not due to the old version of Word (vX 2001), since in past years it handled large documents perfectly well, when I had many less files. At your suggestion I got a new external hard drive, although it's not installed yet. I do have a couple of questions about it. Should I move all my files over to it or the applications or both? Does it make any difference which hard drive I work from? Are there advantages one way or another? Are there any issues to keep in mind regarding the new hard drive? If I'm using Disc Utilities as my basic repair, will the new hard drive alter the use of that? Will I need to do something differently?
Thank you once again for all your help

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
This is good advice.

I would add that based on my research (& soon-to-be-implemented), the backup component of your security system could be much improved by putting the following in place:

i) regular CD/DVD manual backup

ii) utilising a reliable online backup service (for your 'small' documents)

iii) performing a system backup

iv) utilising an external hard disk

v) performing backup via an email account (this is optional)