Status
Not open for further replies.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
So my boss self pubbed a book and has asked me to review it on amazon.

It's not a bad book at all...it's pretty good. So we had the whole discussion of why she probably should have tried to get it published first before self-pub...hopefully she'll try with her next book.

Anyway...should I disclose she's my boss at the top or the bottom of my review? I do want to review it's good..but I'm trying to figure on the best way to disclose the info.

I'm thinking:

Disclosure: I am supervised by this person in my place of employment. My review of this book is in no way associated with my employment.

What do you think?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
IMHO you don't have to say it is you boss but the review should indicate that you know the author personally. This can be done is a way that is not implying any insult to the author, e.g. 'I have known Bob a long time and his great sense of humor shines through in the novel...'

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I'm with veinglory--I don't think you need to go into too much detail, just make it clear that this is someone you know in real life.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Count me among the consensus thus far. When I reviewed our own Victoria Strauss' last book, I felt it fitting that I disclose we were acquainted.

Disclosing a relationship doesn't preclude honesty in a review. But hiding said relationship does, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.