Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
There's a new blog in town. Woo-hoo!

As a writer, have you ever wondered if you'll do ANYTHING with material you cut from your work? Some deleted material can be used for later projects or turned into something else entirely. But as I've been working on articles, I've realized that some of the stuff I cut can do just fine as a standalone item. They can act as fodder for trivia buffs or get a writer thinking about the reasons why something was removed, and what's wrong with it.

So I decided to create a blog just for posting stuff that gets cut during edits/revision. Yay! It's called "It Got Cut" and you can find it here:

It Got Cut

I know the title seems a little strange. I wanted something that would pique somebody's interest (along the lines of "what exactly was cut?") as well as short. If it's too wordy, well...that makes the title a little boring. :/

The posts will include writing removed from work that is in FINAL DRAFT ONLY. Whether or not those final drafts need to published already is still debatable. It would help if the polished and published draft is available as a link, so writers can see the difference. I think before-and-after examples could be helpful, too.

Also, unlike my other blogs, it won't just be me posting on there. I'm going to invite some other writers to share stuff they've deleted from their writing and talk about why they deleted it. I may even invite someone to guest blog on there to discuss revisions, editing, what you can do with deleted material, etc.

This blog will be updated when possible. There's no posting schedule in place. You can become a Follower to stay updated. I'll be adding more links when I have the chance.

I just thought this would be a great way to explore editing your writing and seeing what kind of revisions you can make. It also might help writers to decide how they can locate what to fix up and what exactly their work will survive without. It's just an idea. I hope it works.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
It is interesting to see what was cut, and then the final product. Great idea.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Thank you. :) I hope there will be writers willing to guest blog on there...or share their thoughts. :)

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Woot. :hooray:What a wonderful idea. I love it. :D

Not so long ago, I felt to share all my work on my site too. I did it as I went and put some of it in pages, which to my own knowledge later, realised that no one could actually comment on them. :( Now working on re-establishing some other way of sharing them. Though not as fussed as I was initially to share them on my blog now. This is because I am concentrating more on my daily experiences, than my written work. Still would be nice showcased, thats why I like your idea. :)

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
I agree, truelyana. My blog used to be a writing blog, yesterday I relaunched it, focusing on true crime. So, Greenwolf's idea draws me in.