Detective Slang

theengel

Complete Joke
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sahdguide.info
Do detectives have a slang word they use for uniform officers? What about their superiors?

Actually, any slang commonly used by cops and detectives would be useful.

Thanks in advance.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Real life copying false art?

This falls under the heading of any slang: So much of the "expert" advice here in this forum actually comes from watching TV cop shows and movies that the advice is highly questionable, but here's an example of the bogus becoming real:

I help facilitate range practice for a number of law enforcement officers, and they naturally talk shop.

Veteran cops used to laugh at TV cops saying "vic" and "perp" to mean victims and perpetrator.

Here's the ironic twist: New officers coming onto the forces have picked up the bogus terms from TV and think they're using regular cop slang, and "vic" and "perp" are becoming popular.

Thus, bogus script writing to reality.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
The most common term i've heard is simply "uni, as in " when a uni showed up, the guy rabbited." (rabitted=ran, obviously.)

A lot of cops refer to marked patrol cars as black and whites, even though most marked cars these days don't have that color scheme.

The feebs, for FBI. Not much love lost between the locals and the FBI.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Uniformed patrolmen/cars = patrolmen or uniforms or marked units
detectives = dicks, or whatever squad you need, i.e. get the homicide squad out here.
Lieutenants = LT or Looie
Captain = Cap

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
at my dept, we called supervisors above sgt (Lt, Capt, DC, Chief) "brass"
This is because Lt wore a single brass bar on each shoulder, Capt double, etc, No one below the rank of Lt wore brass. (Sgt wore three stripes and we'd abolished the corporal rank many moons before.)

uniformed ofcs were called "uniforms" as in, one dick saying to another, "Let's get a couple uniroms to help us serve that warrant."

theengel

Complete Joke
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sahdguide.info
Thanks all for your answers.

So could anyone tell me, would it be odd for a lieutenant to be doing detective work, like staking a place out?

Also, would two officers from two different divisions (like homicide and narcotics) ever work together on a case?

Thanks again.