Pub question for the Brits on board...

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Quick question for you - what time do the pubs usually open/close in London? I have a character who worked evenings as a bartender at one point, and at one point I referred to him working 4 PM-midnight. Would that make sense?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
They now have 24 hour licensing in the Uk so pubs can open pretty when they like, provided they have the appropriate licence. It would mostly depend on when they get the trade. Where is the pub? If it is in a business area, like the City it will be really busy at lunchtime and early evening, so quiet that it may not open at weekends. If it is in the West End then 4pm-midnight would be a sensible shift.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
There are no restrictions on pub opening times,but pub opening/closing time depends on the day and where they are.For instance ,a small local pub may only open until midnight on Fridays and Saturdays , closing at eleven the rest of the week.There are some pubs in the city that cater for office workers that close quite early in the week and are closed over the weekend.Having said all that , most pubs open are open by twelve in the morning and there are plenty of pubs still open at midnight.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
What he said

If it's just a local, then finishing at midnight would be about right as they shut at 11:30 ( usually - although they may have a late license if they are somewhere in the city centre). However many locals are feeling the pressure just lately and are not open in the afternoons unless trade calls for it. So if it's somewhere, as Waylander says, in the West End, then sure. If it's in the suburbs - maybe not in the afternoons except at the weekends.

Bah Stephen beat me - but he's talking about dogs? :D

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Well Waylander beat me and yes, it's the thought of alcohol that is affecting my speech.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
The West End would actually work perfectly for the story - I was holding off deciding on exactly where until I knew if that would work or not. Thanks! :)

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Of course, even if they're supposed to close at X hour, doesn't mean they necessarily do. At a pub I frequented (town and pub unnamed), when closing time came the publican just locked the door and pulled the heavy drapes. :D

Oh, you were talking official closing time! ;)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Though they may well have to work beyond closing time to clear up the bar etc