People who know how to pick locks

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody? Anybody?

I need a good description of what it feels like to pick a lock. What are you fishing around for with your lock pick? What will let you know when you've gotten your pick positioned correctly? How long did it take you the first time you tried it, and how fast can you do it now? Is there a significant difference in picking locks of different makes, or are they all generally the same mechanism on the inside?

If you've had experience with picking late-19th-century locks, so much the better. ;)

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
I know how to pick locks.You can find all the the information you need at www.lockpicking101.com/ If this is too much information, let me know and I will give you a simple explanation.

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
19 th cent lock way diff (easier) than modern. Cheap modern takes me up to ten seconds. Good modern, I can't necessarily do it at all. (No great shakes at the skill.)
On the usu modern tumbler lock, I can feel each pin in the torsion wrench (held in non-dom hand) while I lift pins w. a pick or rake w/ my dominant hand. I can hear it, too. Once all pins are lined up, voila, the locks turn that second due to the torsion wrench pushing.

But if your 19 th cent lock just uses an old ward key, that's easy bobby pin territory. Sounds and feels pretty much like using the key.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Wicked.

Can you describe to me how you might pull off an old-school lock-picking? If you were, say, Harry Houdini at a young age?

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
There are youtube videos about picking locks, like the locks on handcuffs and others. I'd watch the videos.