Prison

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Specifically supermax. I have a pretty good start, thanks to someone from this board, but I do have a couple of specific questions. I have a character doing life without parole in maximum security, SHU. He's probably being shuffled from prison to prison due to a persistent bad attitude and a proclivity for escape. I've got the 23 hours a day in the cell, outdoor time in a small yard with tall concrete walls and bars across the top, shackles for all excursions outside the cell, one pen, one pencil, 8 books, headphones for the radio system, no more than one visitor a week. I do need details though, as in - can he have outside food? (Inmates in the general population are allowed packages including outside food.) Would that include cans of tuna or sardines? I've written an important scene that involves using a tuna lid as a weapon in an attempt at suicide. (Some research I've done says that the tuna lid as weapon is relatively common. You can make some pretty nasty cuts with one of these.) How about an alternative weapon? How often does he get a shower and what's involved with that? Does he see his visitors in a visiting room with the general population or through a plexiglass screen with the phone on each side or what? Any help will be highly appreciated! Feel free to reply here or pm. Thank you!

LadyVonFright

Registered
Reaction score
well ive never done life but from my experience in there, you have this thing called "canteen" and your visitors can put money it for you and you use that money to purchase food like mr. noodles, chips, pop, magazines, shampoo toothpaste etc...you used to be able to buy cigs but since your not allowed to smoke in prison anymore, no more cigs in canteen.
pens are not allowed...the only writing untencil allowed is those lil golf pencils, for erasers we used the sole of our shoes...basically being in prison you have to become extremely creative in order to get things done because you are not allowed much, when they serve you food you are served everything with only a plastic spoon...no matter what the meal (they all suck btw) and if that spoon is NOT returned after meal is over, there is what they call a "lockdown" until they find the missing spoon...
visiting was on a phone through plexi-glass...
showers you can pretty much shower everyday if you want...cuz you get free time everyday to roam outside of your cell, in order to call anyone you have to call them collect, and theres about 3 phones in a range filled with about 30 inmates and you get about an hour and a half of free time so chances of you getting a phone without punching someone out...slim to none...this is the female correctional facility out of Milton Ontario called Vanier, I dont know where you are based or if it matters but if you have more questions im willing to help you out.

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
In the US, he is not being given metal of any sort unless he is asthmatic and using an inhaler. Nor is he being shuttled from prison to prison in Supermax. If he was convicted in the US federal system, he at Florence. If state, there are less than 50 places he could be. Not every state has a (s-max) Decide your jurisdiction/crime, then place your prison (of course, you can create a fictional new super-max...)

However, regardless of the prison and designation, you want him in possession of contraband (improvised weapon) which just plain happens (usu outside s-m), despite best efforts.

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
John Grisham wrote a non-fiction account of how a fellow ended up in max security prison. It's called "The Innocent Man". Maybe you might be able to find a snippet or two in there.