CV question for SAHM/freelancers

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone -

I'm about to update my resume, but I haven't worked in an office for the past 5 years, as I have been a SAHM (with some freelancing thrown in). Can anyone out there recommend how to best deal with this gap in my resume? And what does the freelancing part of your resume look like? I don't think I've ever seen a freelancer's resume before. Thanks any advice you can provide!

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Is this for freelancing, or for outside work (office, ditch digger, etc.)?

If it's for an outside job, I'd just put "2003-present: Freelance writer". I wouldn't worry too much about claiming your SAHMhood, either. If there are gaps and the interviewer is curious about them, they'll ask, but I've found it beneficial to include a cover letter saying that for the past X number of years, you've been home raising your children and now you are interested in re-entering the work force for economic and personal reasons. People have always seemed impressed with that. Men and women alike respect the choice.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
That's what mine does. I have Freelance Consultant where it starts chronologically in the jobs listing. As part of it, I list various things I did while freelancing. Then, in a sidebar down the side of the resume (I know, it's not "standard," but since it's for writing, I figure I'm allowed to do what I want) I list the various types of writing I've done.

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Siddo & Jeffo - thanks so much for your responses! It's for freelance work. I want to start sending out LOIs for trade magazines with a resume attached. One more question, though: did you list the publications you worked for or keep it general? Thanks again!

Mayntz

Registered
Reaction score
You can really do whatever feels right to you and what may work best for the publication or company you're communicating with. I have a full resume/CV on my website, but if someone requests one I usually trim it down to reflect the type of work and experience they're looking for.

As for gaps, you really don't even have one since you've been freelancing during that time period. It isn't necessary to list individual jobs and try to explain why there are times between them.

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Seeing both your resumes is a big help! Thank you so much! And you're right Mayntz, I guess my break won't really show up - great!

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score

spacekadet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.monicashaw.com
This is very simple. I would like to ask:

i) what is the specifics of the technology behind this particular site of yours?

ii) the technology differences between the http://monicashaw.com and the http://www.monicashaw.com sites?

Thanks.

Hi ATP, thanks for asking!

i.) I use Writer's Residence (http://writersresidence.com/) to build my website and resume. (Disclaimer: I'm the co-creator of Writer's Residence. I built it with my partner after going through the trials and tribulations of building an online writing portfolio with Wordpress - we thought lots of other writers probably want to do the same thing, thus, Writer's Residence was born.)

ii.) http://monicashaw.com and http://www.monicashaw.com are the same sites, same technology

Glad to hear you like the site. If you want to try building a similar website and resume with the same tool, we do a 30-day trial (and a 1-year trial for students). If you need a hand or have any other questions please get in touch!

Monica

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I know, there are 3 types/styles of CV. These are found in most any 'How To' books ie. "How To Write A CV".

The problem mentioned earlier perhaps doesn't arise when you send the CV to editors or such who often work with freelancers.

There might however be an issue when you wish to move from say
full-time freelancing to a regular "9 to 5".But, in the current economic climate, this might be "well understood" by the relevant decision makers/potential employer.

zoomusic

doing it word by word
Registered
Reaction score
This is great post, thank you all! I'm in the process of making up a resume to apply for freelance writing jobs. It's a real challenge, as I've been self-employed for the past couple decades...

I'm trying to figure out some things. Anyone's 2 cents would be most appreciated.

First of all, Jeffo--I love your idea about having the sidebar on the side of the resume...I've been thinking about this since I first read this post a couple weeks ago, trying to figure it out, how it would look, how to make it work on my resume. That's a very creative idea! Are there any online examples to look at, or did you come up with this one yourself?

Second...years ago, about 20 years...I worked for a year as a writing tutor in a college writing program (composition). Too long ago to be relevant?

In the same vein, I taught creative writing to undergraduates for a couple semesters a few years ago...relevant?

I've had short stories published and have won a couple writing awards...does this info belong/have a place on a resume for non-fiction writing positions?

My work-work, the things I've done to pay the bills, is sorta odd and unusual stuff. People at cocktail parties are always intrigued, but...jeesh, I have no idea how to work it into a resume. But I've managed to pay the bills, lol, and I've had to be extremely organized, self-disciplined, resourceful, and dedicated to do the stuff. So, I guess those are 'skills...'

This has become quite the challenge for me, this resume thing. I've decided to bite the bullet today and try to get something--anything!--on the page to work with and shape over the next week.

I'm going to look at the resources mentioned above and try to figure out how to piece it all together.

The jigsaw puzzle on the table in my study seems easier, at this point, lol.

spacekadet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.monicashaw.com
Hi zoommusic,

Re the sidebar - I've seen this on a few sites but can't remember where. It does look nice. I just list my pubs in the main body of the resume.

I think the teaching experience is VERY relevant. The composition stuff may be a little old but definitely put in the creative writing part if you've done it in recent years. You can always have a "Qualifications" or "Skills" section of your resume where you say in general terms that you have teaching experience in composition and creative writing. To see what I mean by "Qualifications", you can see the example on my resume:

http://monicashaw.com/resume

I have a fair bit of experience with resume writing/editing and am happy to look over yours when its ready. PM me if you're interested. No charge to a fellow AWer. ;-)

Monica

zoomusic

doing it word by word
Registered
Reaction score
jeffo--Thanks so much for posting the link to your resume! Seeing how you did the sidebar thing is very helpful and inspiring for me!

Monica--Thanks for the link to yours, too--this is very helpful! And thanks for the offer to look over it when I have it worked up...I've got some ideas in my head and have been drafting out my skills & qualifications...I'm going to try to put it all together in the next couple days.

Yeah, the comp stuff does seem pretty old to put on there...but I got my MFA in '02, then taught just enough to realize I am too self-employed minded to ever 'thrive' in academia, lol.

You guys have been so helpful, I appreciate it.

Last edited: