Agent requested full m/s, can I send in a few days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An agent has requested to see my full m/s (yay!). It's all written and redrafted etc, I just (out of fear) wanna read it through again and tweak a few bits but I'm away for a coupla days - is it acceptable to send it on Monday having had the request today (Tuesday)?

I know the m/s must be perfect and it was but something came to light which has made me wanna tweak a few bits and pieces.

It's a (damn good) British agent (I'm British) and she's asked me to email it.

Thanks in advance for your advice, guys. T x

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
if you're going ot wait till next week, I'd probably send a brief note telling them you're going to be doing so. Just make sure it doesn't sound like you're putting them off or that you're in doubt about your ms being anything other than great ;-) Saying you're just going to give it "a quick once over, just to see that everything is in order," might be the way to phrase it. Good luck.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
When this happened to me with a London agent, I knew I should go over the ms and tweak. Then I said to myself, he'll either like it or he won't, so I pressed send on the full.

He came back asking for a few revisions, I complied and he offered representation. The point here being, if you've got the agent's attention, any decent agent will ask for revision anyway. And the tweaking you do now may not be what the agent is looking for. If the full stands up it will stand up. There comes a time when you need to say GO FOR IT.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
A week is fine. Unless the agent thinks it's just what she's looking for, it will go into a stack, not to be read for a couple of months.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Sure. A week isn't very long and, for all the agent knows, you could be out of town. Delays of a few days happen.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
A week is fine. Unless the agent thinks it's just what she's looking for, it will go into a stack, not to be read for a couple of months.

Maybe. Or maybe not. Mine read my full within a few days.

I'd send a short email explaining that you're out of town for a week and will send it when you return.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I got the call from my agent for a full on the Tuesday. The book wasn't done. I finished it on Friday. Got it to them on Monday. It wasn't until I signed with them that I told them the truth about the situation. Needless to say, they didn't mind waiting a few days. But I wouldn't take over a week. And yeah, a quick note: "Thank you so much! I'll get it to you by the end of the week" is all you need. You don't need the added explanation of why. I mean you can make something up if you really want, but honestly it isn't necessary.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys, have sent her an email to say it'll be with her by Monday, no excuses. This is my number one agent so fingers crossed though am keeping sane and realise the chances of her taking me on are minimal. BTW Toothpaste, my friend's kid is reading Alex and the Ironic Gentleman and luuuuurves it :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I got the call for a full on a Friday. The book wasn't done. I sent it on Monday. I'm sure the agent gives into account that you have a life. I don't picture them imagining you sitting at home with your finger on the send button, waiting to be summoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.