home-based information technology/an observation

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I needed a new monitor, and so spent a period of 2-3 days sorting out a multitude of issues which occupied my time until I could get one.

Without the monitor, I couldn't get access to my files, despite the rest of the gear exhibiting no problem.

And while I have a portable hard disk, I haven't done the most recent backup as i have done on DVD (!); besides, it is very hard to find a local internet bar (but I was informed later of this).

The monitor issue made me realise the dimension of the problem--if all of our daily and/or highly relevant information is in digital form, and one of a number of "major delivery vehicles" screws up, then one' s life is seriously disrupted or worse, put on hold for almost ever.

My new computer system will incorporate a small network, and in conjunction, I have performed preliminary and corresponding paper and digital files overhaul (a ginormous amount of work!) Now, most of my contact details for others are based in my hard disk.

I am beginning to think that I should have a paper based "rolodex" as an insurance against the sort of problem I have described.But doesn't this defeat the purpose of why we have computers anyway, to do away with these paper records? And if the backup of the (giant) backup goes, where does that leave us (you?).

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am a home based CPA. And I have extensive family history files and emails. I have hard copies of everything as well as an off-site, backs it up every time I save a file, back-up system. And my phone/address data base is also maintained on paper. I'm old-school, so sue me. Living one mile from Best Buy is also a help. I have Amex and I'm not afraid to use it.

MM