Lovefilm or Netflix?

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
Howdy,

Which is best? LoveFlm or Netflix. I am in the UK, is Netflix in the UK? Which is the best set up? Any problems with either of these. Is it worth the money?

Thanks
Kev

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I don't know anything about LoveFilm. I've had Netflix, Blockbusters, and RedBox... and there's no comparison. Netflix, hands-down.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I've been a netflix customer for over seven years and can't remember how I got along without it. I think it's only a US thing, but wouldn't be surprised if there was a UK equivalent.

The Rav

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejkwritingspot.blogspot.com
I'll give another thumbs up for Netflix. I've been a member since almost the beginning (1999? 2000?), and I've enjoyed every month with it. My wife takes forever to watch a movie, so it's nice to be able to keep them as long as we need.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I love Netflix and have used it to replace most of my premium cable (if it weren't for The L Word and The Tudors on Showtime...). I've heard good things about Redbox. Does Lovefilm look similar?

Netflix's mail delivery is scary fast.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Has Netflix been around for so long already? Wow, time flies. I subscribed to them right from the beginning.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Another Netflix-er, but I've never heard of LoveFilm.

DMarie84

I wish I had a time machine
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inthewritemind.wordpress.com
Netflix all the way! I don't have cable, so that's my form of entertainment. I love seeing the little red envelopes in the mail.They've also been good about getting the DVDs to me quickly. I did have my DVDs completely broken in half once, but I know that was a result of our crappy mail service rather than Netflix.

They sent me replacements as soon as I notified them and sent those back. Besides the cracked DVD issue, I haven't had any others. I was hesitant at first to do the Netflix thing because I thought the DVDs would be so worn that they wouldn't play (I've had that happen plenty of times from DVDs at the library). But they've been great every time.

Also, you can keep the DVDs as long as you want (of course you won't get any new ones until you turn in the others). But you don't have to worry about late fees.

Netflix also has a selection of movies you can watch from your computer too.

I've never heard of LoveFilm though.

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
I think LoveFilm is the UK kinda version of Netflix. Does Netflix do the UK?? Any Brits know about LoveFilm??

Kev

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
In addition to our mail and blu ray accounts or online viewing options, we also have the roku box from netflix on our TV for the instant watch viewing. Roku plans to add more content, with Amazon On Demand streaming next. I'd like to see Hulu there as well, but I don't know all the details. I leave that to my husband.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I get Netflix instant watch on the XBox, but I'm thinking of getting a Roku -- or at least a small PC as a media center. How's the Roku?

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
There's no Netflix in the UK, just Lovefilm and a range of others including Blockbuster and Amazon. From the sounds of it, they're definitely the UK-Netflix equivalent. Netflix did plan to launch a UK service in 2005 but pulled out to concentrate on the US market.

I've been with Lovefilm since it was ScreenSelect, back in 2003 and can recommend it. Quick turnaround, lots of titles and helpful staff when you get the odd scratched disc. They send you a fair few adverts/leaflets with your rentals and are always trying to get you to sign other people up but that stuff's easy to ignore if you're not interested.

They've been accused of "throttling" whereby they balance out high and low use customers by slowing down certain transactions, but as a high use customer on their highest price plan who routinely sends titles back the same day, I can say I haven't really experienced that at all. The quality of service will mostly depend on the reliability of the postal system in your area.

Last edited:

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
I like the roku box. We do have a mediacenter pc hooked up to the television as well, but the streaming content is kind of slow for that. I didn't know you could do it through xbox. I just asked the husband and he said the Roku box was $100, so a bit cheaper than some of the gaming systems.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I'd give ten thumbs up for Netflix if I could. I ABSOLUTELY love the watch instantly as they're adding new movies all the time.