Snowed under in London: UK

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Hello folks,

It seems I can't get to work at all at this moment - because of the snow. Which is a shame, as I very much enjoy work. I have been up since 06:30am my original waking time. It is 07.20 now, and I keep checking the transport updates. The heavy snow is covering London and South East England. I live at the edge of South London entering the Surrey region, and work is in West Sussex which is further down the south.

The snow outside keeps coming down and it is looking deliciously like heaven if I may add, as a heavy thickness is covering anything in sight, cars, road, houses. This is probably not as heavy as where you live, but it's a first in a very long while for these Southern parts. The snow seems to be continuing throughout the day, so no chance in attempting to get to work at all. I guess this calls for what your neck of the woods calls snow day.

The tram that gets me to the train station each day has been suspended. All the London buses have been withdrawn from service. The trains seem to be fine, just seem to get to their destination much slower than usual.

Now I am up, I don't feel I want to get back into bed, as I am alert and in tune, so that is why I am choosing to share my experience with you all. I'm attracted to go outside later, and have a play with this pretty whiteness. Will post some pictures, for the sheer joy of it. :)

Happy day whatever you do.

Last edited:

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Plenty of snow in the south-east. I live in Canterbury but work in Hastings and won't be travelling today. The roads are not too bad right now (I think) but there's a severe weather warning for this afternoon.

Have yourself a nice day.

Cheers,
Rob

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Plenty of snow in the south-east. I live in Canterbury but work in Hastings and won't be travelling today. The roads are not too bad right now (I think) but there's a severe weather warning for this afternoon.

Have yourself a nice day.

Cheers,
Rob

Hey Rob,
Lovely to meet a fellower resident from these neck of the woods, at AW. :)
I don't feel the roads are bad at all neither. (Though I don't drive-Its just cautious overlooking)
You have a wonderful day too, whatever you do. :)

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
truelyana- it appears we're 6 hours ahead of you in New Orleans, LA. Unfortunately, it's raining. But it snowed here in December and broke a record for being the earliest of the season. Actual flurries! And it didn't let up. We really got dumped on. A few inches accumulated in shady areas and it lasted most of the day. For us, that's a big deal. I hope you enjoy the beauty and have a great day too. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Hampshire. This is the first time I've seen snow in years, and it looks gorgeous. :) Half the plants in the garden are buried, and every horizontal surface has a mound of snow on it. I do have an appointment this morning, and I'm wondering what to do about it. By the time they open at 9 and I can phone to check if it's still on, I'd be half-way there. I'll probably go out anyway, just for the fun of being out in it. But, oh, the cold! BRRR!

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
truelyana- it appears we're 6 hours ahead of you in New Orleans, LA. Unfortunately, it's raining. But it snowed here in December and broke a record for being the earliest of the season. Actual flurries! And it didn't let up. We really got dumped on. A few inches accumulated in shady areas and it lasted most of the day. For us, that's a big deal. I hope you enjoy the beauty and have a great day too. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Happy to know we share a mutual experience. That is what it is seeming right now-the inches of snow are accumulating in all the areas. There are a couple of kids playing in the snow right now, as I just opened the door. :)

Those flurries sound tantalising. :) Did you take any pictures?

I'm in Hampshire. This is the first time I've seen snow in years, and it looks gorgeous. :) Half the plants in the garden are buried, and every horizontal surface has a mound of snow on it. I do have an appointment this morning, and I'm wondering what to do about it. By the time they open at 9 and I can phone to check if it's still on, I'd be half-way there. I'll probably go out anyway, just for the fun of being out in it. But, oh, the cold! BRRR!

It is wonderful isn't it, that serenity in natures whiteness..

..snow. :)

I'm going outside too. I don't think I can contain myself indoors, and not because its snowing. :)

Enjoy. :D And keep wrapped, and stay warm. :Hug2:

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Durn it, no snow in Fla. still. :) Stay safe and warm inside, everyone, k. (((((HUGS))))))

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Durn it, no snow in Fla. still. :) Stay safe and warm inside, everyone, k. (((((HUGS))))))

How is it in FLA?

Thanks, but no chance of staying indoors. The outdoors calls me. :D With plenty of layers too. :Hug2:

I just called into work, and it actually sounded like I wanted to be there. (I did) I didn't know how to speak otherwise on the phone. My manager/left hand side told me to stay at home, and to be sensible as there was no way I was going to get to work with the snow conditions. Heehee, I could just imagine sledging to work would take the whole day. The very thought of that sounds quite inspiring. :D (The sledging on the snow journey)

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
trulyana, being from the southern USA, I can assure you if people in your area do not know how to drive on snow, or if it's been years and they don't remember as well as they think, Don't go on the roads. Your manager doesn't want to visit you in hospital. A snow day means you play in the snow, have hot soup for lunch, and write you little fingers off. :D

Susie, with respect, dear heart, if it snowed in Fl. it would be rather frightening. But if it does I'll be the first to want to see pictures of your snowwoman, cat, or bunny. :Hug2:

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
It's not so much getting there, but whether or not you could get home again.

Stay home, stay safe and enjoy.

skiing-086.gif

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I do have some pictures and auntybug taught me how to load them, but I still haven't created a picture bucket account, which I think is the first step. Actually, I have to get the pictures from my wifes camera into my computer first. Maybe I'll just enjoy your pictures. :)

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
trulyana, being from the southern USA, I can assure you if people in your area do not know how to drive on snow, or if it's been years and they don't remember as well as they think, Don't go on the roads. Your manager doesn't want to visit you in hospital. A snow day means you play in the snow, have hot soup for lunch, and write you little fingers off. :D

Susie, with respect, dear heart, if it snowed in Fl. it would be rather frightening. But if it does I'll be the first to want to see pictures of your snowwoman, cat, or bunny. :Hug2:
That is the best advice. :) (The not driving in the snow, and playing in the snow)

It's not so much getting there, but whether or not you could get home again.

Stay home, stay safe and enjoy.

skiing-086.gif

heehee. :) I am ready to go outside. I have my snow pants on, and my hat, and jumpers, and scarf and big puffy snow coat which not used in years. YEY.

I do have some pictures and auntybug taught me how to load them, but I still haven't created a picture bucket account, which I think is the first step. Actually, I have to get the pictures from my wifes camera into my computer first. Maybe I'll just enjoy your pictures. :)

:)

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Trams? In Surrey?
It never fails to irritate me that when it snows in the UK, especially when it is in the South East, and all transport systems grind to a halt. In the case of the trains, I guess it's any excuse to get a day off. It's February, what do they expect? I used to motorcycle from Biggin Hill to Central London and yes, even when there was snow on the ground and I stayed in one piece. I remember going through a good few inches of it one morning, only to find that London had escaped it altogether and my boss found my excuse for lateness a little hard to swallow! :)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
All I have up here on the west coast of Scotland is a light dusting on the ground and hills, and an occasional flurry in the air. I refuse to run outside and roll naked in less than six inches of snow.

DSCF1765.JPG

DSCF1766.JPG

-Derek

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
We've got pretty much the same extent of snow here on the east coast. I'm meant to be taking my little boy out for a playdate but it's so, so, frigging cold.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Trams? In Surrey?
It never fails to irritate me that when it snows in the UK, especially when it is in the South East, and all transport systems grind to a halt. In the case of the trains, I guess it's any excuse to get a day off. It's February, what do they expect? I used to motorcycle from Biggin Hill to Central London and yes, even when there was snow on the ground and I stayed in one piece. I remember going through a good few inches of it one morning, only to find that London had escaped it altogether and my boss found my excuse for lateness a little hard to swallow! :)

I am just on the outskirts of Mitcham, on the road to sutton. I catch the tram from Mitcham, to East Croydon when I go to work. Even when it doesn't snow, the transport system is always on the upveil. Seeing as I work in Crawley, I catch the one fast train at 08:18 to get there just before 9am. Though I have recently found a train to go to Crawley, gets there just after 9am as its the slow train, stopping off at every stop until Crawley. If there is one slight delay on the train line, it slows down the other trains, and most times my train gets cancelled. No biggie on my part. :) Interesting experiences aren't they.

All I have up here on the west coast of Scotland is a light dusting on the ground and hills, and an occasional flurry in the air. I refuse to run outside and roll naked in less than six inches of snow.

DSCF1765.JPG

DSCF1766.JPG

-Derek

Oooh looks beautiful. :) Does, that mean you are near the sea too? It seems like the snow has comforted itself in the South East. Very interesting and at the same time fateful, I think. :)

We've got pretty much the same extent of snow here on the east coast. I'm meant to be taking my little boy out for a playdate but it's so, so, frigging cold.

If you do decide to go out, wrap up in lots of layers and maybe more than one glove pair. I have just gone out, and It was lovely despite it being freezing. :) I got hit by a couple of kids on the way, resting on a bridge. Good spot, for throwing snowballs.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It felt like being in another country being outside, driving along roads with the trees on either side all covered. It looked really lovely. We did have a little mishap trying to go up a slope, though, as the wheels slipped on the impacted snow and we cracked our indicator light on someone's parked car. Luckily, their car was undamaged, so we could laugh it off. Ah, snow! Hubby remarked that it's amazing that the Russians never invaded: They could have waited for weather like this, and then just laughed at us. :D

Here are a couple of pictures of the garden from an hour ago:

Snowgarden1.jpg

Snowgarden2.jpg

Last edited:

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
We've just called off our playdate :(

We had another really big snow flurry and i wasn't so much worried about going to the playdate, but getting back! We'll still go out though i think, wrap my little boy up in his snowsuit and mittens!

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
It felt like being in another country being outside, driving along roads with the trees on either side all covered. It looked really lovely. We did have a little mishap trying to go up a slope, though, as the wheels slipped on the impacted snow and we cracked our indicator light on someone's parked car. Luckily, their car was undamaged, so we could laugh it off. Ah, snow! Hubby remarked that it's amazing that the Russians never invaded: They could have waited for weather like this, and then just laughed at us. :D

I know how you feel, about the environment feeling a whole lot different. Heehee that story sure sounds like a funny little mishap. :D Glad to hear that other car didn't get damaged, but it wouldn't have been your fault if it did.

We've just called off our playdate :(

We had another really big snow flurry and i wasn't so much worried about going to the playdate, but getting back! We'll still go out though i think, wrap my little boy up in his snowsuit and mittens!

Sorry to hear that, but am sure its for the best. Good to know that you'll still be able to go out. :) Enjoy.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I went up to Inverness yesterday to work on the coverage of a football game there and I took this picture en route,
DSCF3435.jpg
, but it was all right at home in Glasgow.

This morning though, we've got snowflakes the size of pennies and it's pure white outside in our close. My mum's on the east coast and says it's a blizzard.

Reaction score
It amazes me that bad weather makes the news and Britain shuts down whenever a snowflake lands anywhere. You'd think we'd get used to it by now. It happens. Every. Year.

I had to go out this morning and I wasn't just heading somewhere; I was working outdoors for an hour - and you know what I did? Put two pairs of socks on, and an extra-thick coat.

It's snow, not cyanide, people!!:D

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
It amazes me that bad weather makes the news and Britain shuts down whenever a snowflake lands anywhere. You'd think we'd get used to it by now. It happens. Every. Year.

I had to go out this morning and I wasn't just heading somewhere; I was working outdoors for an hour - and you know what I did? Put two pairs of socks on, and an extra-thick coat.

It's snow, not cyanide, people!!:D

It's the same with much else, rain, wind, engineering works you name it. :)

What counts is your experience of it. :D

Happy to know you got out, warm and delightful. :)