Phelps and his dope

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
At first I thought, what's the big deal?

Then I realized, marijuana is still illegal here, and for a "role model" with multimillion-dollar endorsements and a career still (probably at least one more Olympics), that's really stupid of him. Not that I have anything against pot, but unfortunately, he's not just anybody. I do think the public outcry is a bit hypocritical, as if it's the end of the world. Still, drugs and athletes don't mix, no matter how "benign" it is.

I have a feeling that fame and fortune are catching up with him, and I hope he can stay focused and straight.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I kind of have the opposite feeling. It goes to show the lawmakers and people who have a problem with it that it's completely possible to enjoy that kind of thing and still be a great success.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I kind of have the opposite feeling. It goes to show the lawmakers and people who have a problem with it that it's completely possible to enjoy that kind of thing and still be a great success.
There's a conventional wisdom that says smoking dope is bad for you and that its use is incompatible with any real success in life. Even those who feel it should be legal often decry its use.

Conventional wisdom, as is often the case, is simply wrong.

I will agree with Ray though, that if you're a famous athlete and getting caught could cost you millions, it does show a certain degree of stupidity.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Still, drugs and athletes don't mix, no matter how "benign" it is.

Lots of athletes smoke dope.

Perhaps we should just legalize it, then we have no issues.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I've always felt that illegal marijuana makes as much sense as illegal garlic. They both smell and taste like crap, but if you make spaghetti without either... it's just not like Mom used to make.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
At first I thought, what's the big deal?

Then I realized, marijuana is still illegal here, and for a "role model" with multimillion-dollar endorsements and a career still (probably at least one more Olympics), that's really stupid of him. Not that I have anything against pot, but unfortunately, he's not just anybody. I do think the public outcry is a bit hypocritical, as if it's the end of the world. Still, drugs and athletes don't mix, no matter how "benign" it is.

I have a feeling that fame and fortune are catching up with him, and I hope he can stay focused and straight.

Link?

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
When i heard he was caught with a toke i was like "so what" then i seen him sucking the bong and I was like, YEA BaBY! this kids a pro....

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
for those requesting a link:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-phelps-marijuana2-2009feb02,0,7196536.story

Picture_2_01.png

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
Kid knows what he's doing, bet he's got roach clips holding up his wet swim trunks, you go mike...

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
From Haskin's Pic:

Michael Phelps is America's Golden Boy, but his recent partying has been less than medal-worthy.

I dunno...sounds like some medal-worthy partying to me...

I'm joking, of course. This was a stupid thing for him to do. He has too much on the line.

At the same time, marijuana use is (justifiably, IMO) not considered the same as "doping". And apparently, it also doesn't make someone into a do-nothing slacker.

On the other thread, I posted the side effects of Ritalin, which can include some really horrible things--including death. Ritalin is often prescribed as a medicine for young children. I double-dog-dare anyone to show me any credible study that shows the potential side effects of marijuana being as extreme or dangerous as the side effects of Ritalin. And yet, they've outlawed the prescribed medicinal use of marijuana. I don't get it.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
If anything, I think he'll get more attention, more admiration, more sponsers and more money out of this, Hell when McCartney did his 2 weeks in a Japanese prison for his pot bust he sold a million more records, pot is perceived a lot differently than say steroids where he might be accused of cheating. I'm actually suprised he's as competitive as he is if tokes on a regular basis, i stopped a while back because I just mellowed to the point of "Fuck it, you guys go for the gold, I like were I'm at",,, Yes, sometimes I think about going back there....

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So Michael Phelps likes to toke up.

This matters to me...why exactly?

He probably has sex outside of marriage in positions other than the missionary and he probably even leaves the toilet seat up sometimes.

He's a ordinary guy when he's not winning gold medals. We're talking about smoking reefer, not molesting little girls. Why do people look to athletes for their role models anyway?

Chill. I don't feel any differently about Phelps today than I did yesterday, except he may be a bit more human to me now.

:Shrug:

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
personally, I'm against its use but that comes out of I and my family's long history of substance abuse- did you know there's a Marijuana Anonymous?

I realize we're not the norm, so I think it should be legal. Hopefully this will be another step towards that but I suspect it will be another step towards demonetization.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Scarlett and Nighttime, "who really gives a shit?"

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Scarlett and Nighttime, "who really gives a shit?"
Toke up on the Capital steps and you'll find out real quick who gives a shit. There's a terrible disconnect between the people and their government when the responses here are compared to the draconian laws on the books and being actively enforced. FedGoons are perfectly justified in smashing down your door and shooting your dog if they think you've got a joint in the house.