cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Hey guys,

I am pretty certain the widget you have on top of aw is slowing down your site very painfully for anyone with dial up connection...it is difficult to post, rep, or initiate sending pms. The issue is not on other sites I am visiting and has only been here since you put it up. You may like to consider something less heavy.

regards
Sharon

Deleted member 42

OK; thanks for letting us Know. Mac or I will deal with it tonight or tomorrow.

We're just really excited about Bear's chat.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
OK; thanks for letting us Know. Mac or I will deal with it tonight or tomorrow.

We're just really excited about Bear's chat.

Yes, it is an exciting time...thanks for looking into it :)

It has seemed a bit better the last hour 5pm Australian time now, but this might be because many of AW users are now resting. Having said that, that in itself shouldn't make no difference to a degree for users, well it can, depending on the server projecting the image which is obvisously linked to where it is (i can't type the last letter of the alphbet sometimes on this keyboard) lololol, and just spelt the alphabet wrong cause I do things like that.

goodluck with it.

ETA....part of the problem is that it loads everytime a user goes somewhere on the site...when I leave here it will need to load again, the post after that it will load again and so on....maybe you could put it on a dedicated header, so that it remains loaded on the site once loaded?

Last edited:

petec

Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Quick
just managed to get in
Every time I change pages my browser times out

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It even slows a DSL connection a little. There's a momentarily hesitation whenever a page is loading until it gets through running the widget.

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto for my cable modem connection at 6:00 AM while most people are not yet logged on. This could be a problem when most people are on as before the widget was added I was routinely getting connection time out errors when there are a lot of people using the site. :)

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Since you added the widget it's been snowing hard over much of the UK. If you could leave it for a couple of days, just till we've had a chance to make a snowman and play with the kids, then make it go away again, that'd be great.

Cheers,
Rob

DaddyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I just turned off my Flash player in Firefox, and I'll leave it off when visiting AW until the annoyance is gone.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just turned off my Flash player in Firefox, and I'll leave it off when visiting AW until the annoyance is gone.
I thought I tried that yesterday and it didn't work. I'll have to try again when I get home. I was trying everything I could think of yesterday to get it to not show up while still being able to see everything on AW.

Thanks for the information.

DaddyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I thought I tried that yesterday and it didn't work. I'll have to try again when I get home. I was trying everything I could think of yesterday to get it to not show up while still being able to see everything on AW.

Thanks for the information.

Disabling the Flash player took effect immediately for me, but then I'm running Linux. I haven't had any problems with the rest of the site so far.

BTW, one of my cats could be your avatar's twin! :)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kil the widget! Kill the widget!

;-)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We could all write a story . . .

The Wily, Wascally Widget of Absolute Write

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I'm using dial-up and haven't had any problem, but I have signatures turned off in my usercp.

You'd be surprised how much faster AW loads with all that...crap, turned off. ;)

petec

Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
"Elizabeth Bear and her widget"

I wish they would both go away

Reaction score
The amazon logo appears in the middle of my screen when I'm loading a new page and the widget slows things down a fraction but nothing disastrous.

I are on broadbean with 1gb RAM on m'laptop.

petec

Lurking
Registered
Reaction score

Ok this is my bandwidth results, but I have other things to do with it than use it on widgets

See Y'all

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
It makes me sea-sick enough I may have to stay off AW until it's gone. I absolutely detest moving ads. Puma

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know whether it's the widget, or something else, but I'll had to kill IE three times this morning on my office computer. Something just makes the site hang.

Reaction score
You too, alleycat? IE keeps freezing, so I close it down, re-open and same thing happens again. I thought it was my computer, or the fact my Norton subscription's just run out. I fear teh virus fairy!

DaddyCat

Registered
Reaction score
My Firefox crashed this morning, in Linux no less. Not a virus, but clearly this widget is proving to be more trouble than it's worth.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't find info on the chat in a search, so I'll just jump into this thread.

Who is organizing the chat? I'd like to talk with them for fear of a potential conflict with the SFF chat (Thursdays at 9PM EST).

Cheers